PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Apple Store. Much Bigger News For July! Tivo!

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 08:14 PM
Tivo is coming!!

Though sadly Harvey Norman have a 3 month exclusive.

That retailer alone is enough to make sure the product going to die before it even reaches the masses

purana
23rd June 2008, 08:17 PM
Details/Links/Prices?

jppat
23rd June 2008, 08:18 PM
it is not going to catch on here anyway... foxtel iq is by far the better solution

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 08:20 PM
Details/Links/Prices?

Digital Life - home entertainment system articles & news (http://www.theage.com.au/news/articles/seven-to-launch-tivo-next-month/2008/06/23/1214073122891.html)

Price $700. Ouch should be $500 max but with no subscription fee for guide data

Retailers HN. If the price doesn't kill it. Then HN sure as hell will

Will I be buying one?

Hell Yes!

purana
it is not going to catch on here anyway... foxtel iq is by far the better solution

Better solution? That could be discussed. Personally I think Foxtel is a rip off. Who wants to pay for commercials in your PAY TV?

decryption
Tivo sucks - long live Beyonwiz and IceTV! :D

SRG
23rd June 2008, 08:21 PM
yep once foxtel hd launches and they air the HD free to air also IQ will be a better option imho.

tcn33
23rd June 2008, 08:23 PM
I gave up my series 1 TiVo for an iQ2. I miss 30-second skip, but HD sport is awesome :)

I really should post my TiVo for sale...

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 08:24 PM

Having to stop myself crying to reply to this as i was laughing so hard

Foxtel IQ isn't even close to what Tivo can do in functionality. Though granted its a far different market too. Tivo is Digital FTA. IQ is for Foxtel

Have you even seen a Tivo in operation before saying its a better solution?

Solution for what? A door stop? The IQ doesseem to weigh more so in that case i suppose your right

Jazarus
23rd June 2008, 08:24 PM
That retailer alone is enough to make sure the product going to die before it even reaches the masses

That's a little spiteful don't you think Allesiman? I will admit they are the mcdonalds of electronic goods and they couldn't look out for the best interest of their customers to save their lives but the popularity of TiVo should make up for any of that retailers shortcomings ;)

waynie
23rd June 2008, 08:26 PM
Tivo in Australia. Okay, that's a good innovation. So was Digital TV but that took forever to catch on... and even still the take up rate is nowhere near what the government expected despite a mandated change.

Australians aren't ready for a TV revolution, they're happy with what they've got. People on this forum are probably the exception, not the rule. The thing that will be interesting here is whether Seven and TiVo have a sufficient business plan to get them through the hard times until this catches on... if at all.

Rogerthatv2
23rd June 2008, 08:27 PM
Not so sure on IQ2 yet, the HD FTA channels all digitize, I can't watch an 'On Demand' HD Movie I just get a blank screen with no sound and now I cannot watch Box Office Movies, I get sound but no picture.

I loved IQ but IQ2 and I are having issues, will be watching TIVO very closely to see what its like. I do love my SciFi channel but, i think I may just have a dodgy IQ2 box.

alan7948
23rd June 2008, 08:28 PM
what is tivo?

Jun
23rd June 2008, 08:30 PM
what is tivo?

Yeah, what's a Tivo?

Alessiman
Tivo sucks - long live Beyonwiz and IceTV! :D

Been there done that Decryption :D

I have to give kudos to Matt K and the team at IceTV. They have put a fantastic effort into promoting the benefits of what a true EPG could and should be for the Australian Marketplace

The beyondwiz was the 1st of the true TV convergence products to hit the market. Still for ease of use and a UI better than anything else on the market Tivo still dominates

waynie
Yeah, what's a Tivo?

TiVo | The TiVo Homepage (http://www.tivo.com.au/)

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 08:33 PM
Tivo in Australia. Okay, that's a good innovation. So was Digital TV but that took forever to catch on... and even still the take up rate is nowhere near what the government expected despite a mandated change.

Australians aren't ready for a TV revolution, they're happy with what they've got. People on this forum are probably the exception, not the rule. The thing that will be interesting here is whether Seven and TiVo have a sufficient business plan to get them through the hard times until this catches on... if at all.

Oh I totally agree with you Waynie, but its not going to to stop me buying one on the day of release. Though having said that I've have a Series 1 Tivo running since 2005 till late last year. So the machine will live on in some form even if the support for it dies locally

W9cae
23rd June 2008, 08:37 PM
There are PVR's on the market that dont require a subscription and the work every bit if not better than Beyondwiz. Folks forget the TV stations all transmit a guide that is free.

JB and Strathfield have them one sells for $55 if you don't take the USB drive offer.

Jun
23rd June 2008, 08:37 PM
TiVo | The TiVo Homepage (http://www.tivo.com.au/)

Oh, always wondered what that option was in Toast.

purana
23rd June 2008, 08:38 PM
I have a Beyonwiz, will keep an eye on the Tivo though. But I dont think I could justify another purchase yet. Unless of course the long running Topfield 5000 dies. Then we could replace that with a Tivo.

Time will tell..

Devil
23rd June 2008, 08:42 PM
The beyondwiz was the 1st of the true TV convergence products to hit the market

What about my KiSS DP-558?

DVD Player, single (analogue) tuner, 80 GB Hard Disk and 10/100 Ethernet. They even had a FREE EPG until bought by Linksys.

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 08:50 PM
What about my KiSS DP-558?

DVD Player, single (analogue) tuner, 80 GB Hard Disk and 10/100 Ethernet. They even had a FREE EPG until bought by Linksys.

I was actually thinking more about the streaming media stuff. Though thinking about it, I think XBMC bet the BeyondWiz by a good year of so.

scritch
23rd June 2008, 08:51 PM
yep once foxtel hd launches and they air the HD free to air also IQ will be a better option imho.

Foxtel HD? Better?

Many assumptions here:

1. I want to pay an overpriced fee to watch 90% of crap, 10% OK TV that still has ads.
2. I want to pay extra for the channels I want to watch.
3. I want to pay extra for the ability to record/time slip the channels I want.
4. I want to pay extra again for the HD version of the recording/time slipping box.
5. I want to pay extra again to actually receive the HD versions of the channels I already have paid for in 1 & 2.

I'd rather put that $80+ per month into something else.

Regards,
Shane.

Aladdin
23rd June 2008, 09:03 PM
Folks forget the TV stations all transmit a guide that is free.

If that is so, then could you tell me why I can't get a SBS programme guide on my eyeTV 2 software?

The SBS channel is received clearly on my Mac, but, sadly, no programme guide.

decryption
23rd June 2008, 09:04 PM
Foxtel HD? Better?

Many assumptions here:

1. I want to pay an overpriced fee to watch 90% of crap, 10% OK TV that still has ads.
4. I want to pay extra again for the HD version of the recording/time slipping box.
5. I want to pay extra again to actually receive the HD versions of the channels I already have paid for in 1 & 2.

Regards,
Shane.

Agreed - Foxtel should be $50/month max for all the channels and the IQ HD box.

If that is so, then could you tell me why I can't get a SBS programme guide on my eyeTV 2 software?

That is why Jesus made IceTV (http://www.icetv.com.au) :D
1,000 monkeys on 1,000 typewriters to bring you an EPG that works!

mitty
23rd June 2008, 09:08 PM
Hate to play devils advocate but why spend $700 on a Tivo when you can build a Vista Media Center PC for about the same price. That's how i watch and record all my TV and works beautifully.

I'm not trying to flame or troll or anything, but I'm guessing the Mac can do the same thing... I even considered a Mac Mini for the same purpose (since it would just fit lovely in my TV cabinet) but i have no idea what software etc I would use to watch and record TV ! :)

/me puts on flame resistant speedos... :D

mbd
23rd June 2008, 09:09 PM
Bitching on the TiVO and saying you can buy a topfield/etc is like the people who bitched on the iPhone because their Sony Ericsson could play MP3s.

TiVO is about the joyous user experience. You can (and I am saying this literally) stick one in front of a grandma, and she can use it. You don't need to mess around with awful menuing systems, programming that requires a tech head, etc.

I had a Tivo 1 until a couple of years ago when I lent it to a friend for a few weeks. He wouldn't give it back and insisted on buying it from me. I got another for my mother in law and she's still using it today.

I've tried MythTV and it does the job, but it's not Tivo.

I can't wait for mid-July - Tivo and iPhone - it's like two christmases at once!

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 09:12 PM
Hate to play devils advocate but why spend $700 on a Tivo when you can build a Vista Media Center PC for about the same price. That's how i watch and record all my TV and works beautifully.

I'm not trying to flame or troll or anything, but I'm guessing the Mac can do the same thing... I even considered a Mac Mini for the same purpose (since it would just fit lovely in my TV cabinet) but i have no idea what software etc I would use to watch and record TV ! :)

/me puts on flame resistant speedos... :D

Wife/Partner/Parent factor for one. The Media Center is not as user friendly and you still have the issue of it being built on top of a less than stable/secure OS.

I've built a number of Media Centers for myself and friends but its not designed for Joe Average.

W9cae
23rd June 2008, 09:14 PM

I have no clue but this $55 box I got from Strathfield records, time shift and you select the program from a guide that looks like the foxtel or icetv guide. Also a quick remove of the hard drive & I can save all the content and use with my AppleTV. Really surprised you guys havn't seen. I found from a thread on Whirlpool. My brother bought one from JB HiFi had a duel tuner.

decryption
23rd June 2008, 09:18 PM
I have no clue but this $55 box I got from Strathfield records, time shift and you select the program from a guide that looks like the foxtel or icetv guide. Also a quick remove of the hard drive & I can save all the content and use with my AppleTV. Really surprised you guys havn't seen. I found from a thread on Whirlpool. My brother bought one from JB HiFi had a duel tuner.

$55 for a digital tuner + HDD to record on? Link me up :D
I don't care what sort of shitty interface it has, for $55 I'll take a punt ,hah

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 09:19 PM
$55 for a digital tuner + HDD to record on? Link me up :D
I don't care what sort of shitty interface it has, for $55 I'll take a punt ,hah

I thought you were broke? :p

decryption
23rd June 2008, 09:20 PM
I thought you were broke? :p

I can spare $55, I think :p

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 09:21 PM
I can spare $55, I think :p

Hows the iphone dock going speaking of spare cash ;)

decryption
23rd June 2008, 09:22 PM
Hows the iphone dock going speaking of spare cash ;)

It's actually not being used now that I'm not working (it was for the office). I can pay you for it if you want or I can return it :p

(thread is now off-topic and time to return on topic).

Tivo is cool, but I don't know how significantly different it is to me using IceTV's web interface, clicking what I want and having it automagically record. That said, I am a nerd and quite like hte Beyonwiz - I wouldn't give one to my parents, that's for sure.

mac_man_luke
23rd June 2008, 09:25 PM
My mythtv box does all TIVO does but a commercial package might be nice if the price drops

W9cae
23rd June 2008, 09:31 PM
Decryption I sent you a PM with the link. You also need a read of the thread on Whirlpool or DTV forum and you can get all the info how to hack. It's not a flash box but does the job for dirt cheap.

iSlayer
23rd June 2008, 09:39 PM

I wouldn't. I'll take an IQ2 over tivo every day of the week. Tivo was revolutionary 7 years ago but these days there are lots of competitors that are just as good in my opinion

marc
23rd June 2008, 09:58 PM
I'll stay out of this one as any comments I make will clearly be biased. :p

It will be interesting to see what TiVo does and doesn't do.

grorr76
23rd June 2008, 10:00 PM
700 dollars no way 4-500 most probably would purchase one.

cbennie
23rd June 2008, 10:09 PM
Tivo major plus(es) = guaranteed to never miss a recording no matter how much the TV channels mess around shows and starting/finishing times
AND
ease of use.

TIVO major minus - no ability to skip ads (such at TAPS available on Topfields allowing you to skip time incremently such as 3 minutes (the time that most ad breaks are).

Now this minus may seem small - but after having this functionality on my Topfield 5000 - the thought of fast forwarding through ads at any speed is awful. I can press a button and ads are gone......

Topfield is a great product but has a huge geek factor to get it doing the extra cool things it is capable of - TIVO just does it - boy I'm gonna struggle without ad skipping if I get one though!!!!!

scritch
23rd June 2008, 10:34 PM
boy I'm gonna struggle without ad skipping if I get one though!!!!!

I'm hoping it's just a matter of the remote command code to enable 30sec skip (http://www.weaknees.com/30/) as per the US units.

BTW - does TiVO support sharing recorded TV across to other TiVO units on the same network? This is why I use Vista Media Center at home due to it's extender functionality (one PC, two Xbox 360's works well - but would be nice to get something "baked" as Media Center has it's moments).

Update: Found my answer - yes it can, see here (https://www3.tivo.com/assets/popups/popup_transferbetween3dvrs.html).

Regards,
Shane.

marc
23rd June 2008, 10:38 PM
Tivo major plus(es) = guaranteed to never miss a recording no matter how much the TV channels mess around shows and starting/finishing times.
Any PVR that's fairly advanced will do this. There's several things that will stop you from getting a recording:

The show starts early or runs over time (more likely to be the later).
The solution is to start early and finish late for every recording. This is called padding. All Topfield PVRs, Beyonwiz PVRs, EyeTV, Windows Media Center, MythTV and TiVo have padding. In Australia this is a really big issue as shows can run very late. Padding isn't as much of an issue in the US (shows run on time due to legislation), so I'm not sure what the maximum padding is for TiVo. For EyeTV it's 30 mins, for Media Center PCs with the IceTV Interactive software it's 60 mins. It uses up hard drive space and isn't particularly clever, but it works without fail.

The series ends or changes timeslot with lots of notice.
The solution is to have ID based series recording, rather than "record 8pm to 8.30pm every Monday". All devices that support IceTV Interactive use ID based series recording. TiVo also uses ID based series recording. All PVRs that use the free to air broadcast EPG don't use and can't use ID based series recording. EyeTV's "Smart Guides" don't use series ID recording, but can be set up in a way that they should work fairly well, but you'll have to know what you're doing and they could fail if the EPG data isn't perfect.

The pope dies and your show is cancelled or moved at the last minute.
There's no real solution for this except polling a server frequently for changes. We (IceTV) have kicked ideas around to do it, but don't have any plans at this point to implement something to cover this case. It's very rare and typically just ends up with an unwanted recording that's mislabelled. Shows get cancelled more than they get moved, so it's not really a big deal. As far as I'm aware, TiVo doesn't have anything clever that it can do here.

mestevie
23rd June 2008, 11:12 PM
Have a look at this table on the Icetv website (http://www.icetv.com.au/features.shtml)

"Only video recorded or downloaded via the TiVo box can be played back"

That kills it for TiVo for me.

Full disclosure, I love my beyonwiz. but I have to say it is more PC like than Mac like, and TiVo seems to be ahead on the UI. But the fact that I cannot stream video podcasts to it ala my Beyonwiz means it would cut off half my enjoyment factor.

Alessiman
23rd June 2008, 11:37 PM
Have a look at this table on the Icetv website (http://www.icetv.com.au/features.shtml)

"Only video recorded or downloaded via the TiVo box can be played back"

That kills it for TiVo for me.

Full disclosure, I love my beyonwiz. but I have to say it is more PC like than Mac like, and TiVo seems to be ahead on the UI. But the fact that I cannot stream video podcasts to it ala my Beyonwiz means it would cut off half my enjoyment factor.

If its a Series 3 Tivo (and by all my readings it is) then there you can indeed playback other video though I am a pretty sure you have to convert it to Mpeg-2 format 1st to be able to be played on the Tivo

Its just a matter of installing the TivoDesktop and making a few configuration changes.

marc
23rd June 2008, 11:39 PM
If its a Series 3 Tivo (and by all my readings it is) then there you can indeed playback other video though I am a pretty sure you have to convert it to Mpeg-2 format 1st to be able to be played on the Tivo
It's a TiVo HD (so the cut down Series 3).

Converting to MPEG-2 is a pretty big flaw. That makes it worse than an AppleTV!

mac_man_luke
23rd June 2008, 11:40 PM
Tivo major plus(es) = guaranteed to never miss a recording no matter how much the TV channels mess around shows and starting/finishing times
AND
ease of use.

TIVO major minus - no ability to skip ads (such at TAPS available on Topfields allowing you to skip time incremently such as 3 minutes (the time that most ad breaks are).

Now this minus may seem small - but after having this functionality on my Topfield 5000 - the thought of fast forwarding through ads at any speed is awful. I can press a button and ads are gone......

Topfield is a great product but has a huge geek factor to get it doing the extra cool things it is capable of - TIVO just does it - boy I'm gonna struggle without ad skipping if I get one though!!!!!

no ad skipping :(

my mythtv box auto skips most adverts, very rarely does it need intervention

scritch
24th June 2008, 07:54 AM
no ad skipping :(

my mythtv box auto skips most adverts, very rarely does it need intervention

And my Vista Media Center removes ads (using LifeExtender (http://www.lifextender.com/)) from recorded shows - I'd miss that too.

Regards,
Shane.

scritch
24th June 2008, 08:06 AM
Ooh - just found this:

Software for your PC or Mac to work with your TiVo DVR - TiVo (http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivogear/software/index.html)

"Publish your iTunes music library and playlists to your TiVo DVR for playback through your TV and home entertainment system.
Publish your iPhoto albums to your TiVo DVR for viewing photos and slideshows on your TV.
TiVo Desktop software is free to download!"

Don't think it does videos, but it's a start.

Regards,
Shane.

marc
24th June 2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, but isn't the iTunes sharing only for MP3 files, not AAC?
iTunes Plus files unplayable by TiVo | The Apple Blog (http://theappleblog.com/2007/06/05/itunes-plus-files-unplayable-by-tivo/)

TiVo != Apple.

Apple are completely customer focused. They build the absolute best product they can and only have one master, the customer.

TiVo has two or three masters: the customer and TV stations (Channel 7) or cable provider (Comcast), meaning they can't please both. So some features get limited, due to a strong conflict of interest (no 30 second skip, overlay ads when fast forwarding, no video file playback etc).

Alessiman
24th June 2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but isn't the iTunes sharing only for MP3 files, not AAC?
iTunes Plus files unplayable by TiVo | The Apple Blog (http://theappleblog.com/2007/06/05/itunes-plus-files-unplayable-by-tivo/)

TiVo != Apple.

Apple are completely customer focused. They build the absolute best product they can and only have one master, the customer.

TiVo has two or three masters: the customer and TV stations (Channel 7) or cable provider (Comcast), meaning they can't please both. So some features get limited, due to a strong conflict of interest (no 30 second skip, overlay ads when fast forwarding, no video file playback etc).

Hey Marc,

I thought you were entering this thread :D

You cant please all people all of the time. This is exactly like the "The iphone is crap because it doesn't have 3G and GPD like my Nokia 95" threads a year ago

BTW the last time I looked, I couldn't see Apple TV supporting divx natively without some hacking etc. etc etc

vortex_
24th June 2008, 10:28 AM
Is it just me, or is having the '7' logo on the Tivo Australia site a little unsettling for anyone else?
Are we going to have to put up with a customised firmware version that will either:
A) Only work with channel 7
B) Continually spam about the shitty programs on channel 7 or
C) well I cant think of a C yet.

marc
24th June 2008, 11:02 AM
You cant please all people all of the time. This is exactly like the "The iphone is crap because it doesn't have 3G and GPD like my Nokia 95" threads a year ago.
Oh yeah, totally agree with that. The only difference is the iPhone has been built for customers and customers alone. There weren't other motives in place when adding or removing features (ie. crippling). Any restriction of features has been done for the benefit of users, not their detriment (no MMS etc).

BTW the last time I looked, I couldn't see Apple TV supporting divx natively without some hacking etc. etc etc
Very true. To only have MP3 and MPEG2 support in 2008 is insane though.

AppleTV only (!) supports MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV audio and H.264/MPEG4 natively, but at least they're modern codecs. MPEG2 is ancient and no where near as efficient as H.264.

I guess what I'm saying is if you have to only support 1 video format, at least make it a good one!

andytlr
24th June 2008, 12:41 PM
The show starts early or runs over time (more likely to be the later).
The solution is to start early and finish late for every recording. This is called padding. All Topfield PVRs, Beyonwiz PVRs, EyeTV, Windows Media Center, MythTV and TiVo have padding. In Australia this is a really big issue as shows can run very late. Padding isn't as much of an issue in the US (shows run on time due to legislation), so I'm not sure what the maximum padding is for TiVo. For EyeTV it's 30 mins, for Media Center PCs with the IceTV Interactive software it's 60 mins. It uses up hard drive space and isn't particularly clever, but it works without fail.

I've got seven minutes padding on either end set on my Beyonwiz and I've never missed the start or end of a program. Does IceTV add padding as well?

I agree that the Beyonwiz has a horrible GUI. But I set everything to record through the IceTV website which has a brilliant interface. Then all you've got to do is go to your recordings folder and choose something to watch. That could be a lot better layed out though.

mbd
24th June 2008, 01:53 PM
Just because the TiVO doesn't feature the 30 second skip by default doesn't necessarily mean it won't be possible - it may or may not work with Australian Tivos, but according to Gizmo Lovers Blog Getting Started with TiVo (http://www.gizmolovers.com/getting-started-with-tivo/)

30 second skip - There is a hidden 30 second skip feature on the TiVo. While watching a video enter Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select (SPS30S) on the remote. This toggles the Advance (looks like ->|) button into a 30 second skip button. Each press will advance you 30 seconds. It is easiest to enter this while watching a recording.

See also 30 - Second Skip with HDTV Tivo - TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 (http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179684)

Regarding Apple serving customers as it's sole master, that's not entirely true. They've crippled software/hardware in the past to serve the music industry, the movie industry, the phone companies, etc. Who they were serving by crippling screen spanning on iBooks and iMacs (a few years ago) or shipping DL dvd burners in the G5 PowerMacs with special firmware to restrict the burner to single layer only, I don't know.

fickwalker
24th June 2008, 02:25 PM
Just weighing in to say that I got iQ2 at the end of May (one of the first residential installs/trial things) and, after a little teeth pulling and futzing around to make sure everything worked properly, I couldn't be happier with the service. I don't mind fast forwarding through ads and the HD channels are amazing. Watching the NBA Finals on ESPN HD was heaven. :)

That being said, I'll be keeping a close eye on TiVO to see what the advantages/disadvantages will be.

psyke
24th June 2008, 02:25 PM
To all those unconvinced by TiVo - wait until you see one running. Preferably not in store, but that will have to do at a pinch.

Frankly I'm really excited about upgrading from an old Series 1 TiVo to a dual HD tuner model.

As for getting acess to the recordings on your Macs, the first place I would start looking is :

TiVoTool.com (http://www.tivotool.com/)

But by no means is that the last. The TiVo community is large and there's plenty of ways to skin the cat ...

Bring it on (Ch 7 involvement notwithstanding :-)

Oh and on the FoxTel IQ debate - duh. TiVo will be free to air only. If you have cable, go with the IQ (if you must) and if you have free to air, go TiVo with no subscription fees!

reemixx
24th June 2008, 02:40 PM
I don't get it. Why's everyone comparing the TiVo to the beyonwiz with IceTV etc, when they're clearly different. Apparently TiVo in Australia won't have any subscription fees, and the box itself will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a beyonwiz. It seems to be exactly what I want; a way to record free to air whenever I want to. Sure, if you want to record Foxtel, it may not be the solution for you. But for the rest of us, it seems perfect. I don't even care about ad skipping. I just want a cheap all-in-one-box solution with a clear and simple UI so that I don't freakin' miss my TV shows all the time.

Bring on TiVo! :D

reemixx
24th June 2008, 02:41 PM
Oh and on the FoxTel IQ debate - duh. TiVo will be free to air only. If you have cable, go with the IQ (if you must) and if you have free to air, go TiVo with no subscription fees!

haha, you beat me to it. That's exactly what I was trying to say. They're completely different markets. TiVo is going to be awesome :)

marc
24th June 2008, 03:29 PM
I've got seven minutes padding on either end set on my Beyonwiz and I've never missed the start or end of a program. Does IceTV add padding as well?
All padding is added by the device, as it makes more sense to do it there. That way conflicts can be resolved properly.

I agree that the Beyonwiz has a horrible GUI. But I set everything to record through the IceTV website which has a brilliant interface. Then all you've got to do is go to your recordings folder and choose something to watch. That could be a lot better layed out though.
Please send Beyonwiz some feedback (http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/enquiry.asp). The guys are actively working on the entire PVR and I'm sure feedback would be more than welcome. Another good thing about the Beyonwiz is the regular firmware updates: they've pumped out quite a few over the last year and look like they'll keep adding features and improving things indefinitely.

Just because the TiVO doesn't feature the 30 second skip by default doesn't necessarily mean it won't be possible
That's going to be an interesting one. FreeTV has specifically stated that use of their EPG will require no 30 second skip. I wonder if 7/TiVo will get in trouble if it's still there (but hidden).

Regarding Apple serving customers as it's sole master, that's not entirely true. They've crippled software/hardware in the past to serve the music industry, the movie industry, the phone companies, etc. Who they were serving by crippling screen spanning on iBooks and iMacs (a few years ago) or shipping DL dvd burners in the G5 PowerMacs with special firmware to restrict the burner to single layer only, I don't know.
Maybe the situation isn't as black as white as I stated. Apple certainly seem to bend over less than TiVo have. Apple haven't let anyone place ads on iTunes, AppleTV, the iPhone or iPod. I think static overlay ads while fast forwarding is very severe for a product you've paid money for. Can't imagine Apple ever doing anything even remotely close to that.

Graham
1st July 2008, 04:55 PM
Seven unveils hobbled TiVo - BizTech - Technology - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/seven-unveils-hobbled-tivo/2008/07/01/1214678018287.html)

Many key features of TiVo, the much anticipated digital television recorder, will be disabled when it is launched at the end of the month so Seven can charge for them via a software update early next year.

The $699 device will be on sale at all Harvey Norman and Domayne stores from July 29 but the home networking features - such as the ability to transfer music, photos and video from a PC to the TiVo box - will be disabled.

The home networking functionality and the ability to load recorded shows to a portable device like the iPod will only be available early next year for a fee in the "tens of dollars", Seven's TiVo general manager Mark Hughes said.

Furthermore, other features afforded by the TiVo's internet connection, such as movie and music download stores and the ability to access internet video clips, will also be absent at launch.

matthew858
1st July 2008, 05:06 PM
I was just about to post that. I won't be getting a tivo is they remove the main features.

meinrosebud
1st July 2008, 05:09 PM
Foxtel HD? Better?

Many assumptions here:

Regards,
Shane.

6. I want to record free-to-air television so I can watch it later when I NEED to be bored to tears!
7. That we don't know that the Executive Board of Channel 7 are a joke and that they think they are on a winner!

iSlayer
1st July 2008, 05:17 PM
"This is the only place in the world where you can buy a TiVo box without a subscription," he said.

It's also the only place where you can get a crippled box and then have to pay extra later on to get access to features that are standard on every other tivo box.

70 per cent of Australians have turned their back on Foxtel by voting with their eyeballs to watch and choose to only watch free-to-air television.

They sure do love to talk about foxtel which is funny considering seven said they are not trying to compete with foxtel

purana
1st July 2008, 05:18 PM
Anyone seen any units in shops yet?

marc
1st July 2008, 05:38 PM
Anyone seen any units in shops yet?
"will be on sale at all Harvey Norman and Domayne stores from July 29 but the home networking features - such as the ability to transfer music, photos and video from a PC to the TiVo box - will be disabled"

Feature comparison between TiVo and other PVRs/Media Center PCs/EyeTV here (http://www.icetv.com.au/features.shtml).

:)

Alessiman
1st July 2008, 06:05 PM
Yep not exactly happy about all the crippled features

Still wont stop me getting on the 29th though :)

marc
1st July 2008, 06:07 PM
Enjoy your ads ;)

Drofremoc
1st July 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

I've had one of these for about 2 years.... cannot believe people still buy DVD recorders and the like...

Topfield Australia : Topfield TF5000PVRt <font color='#DD6600'> (http://topfield.com.au/product.asp?SKU=TF5000PVRT)

Couldn't possibly watch TV without it. Get very frustrated when I am at someone's house and cannot stop, rewind, record 2 channels at once, blah blah blah

My unit is standard def but you can get high def versions as well.

You can also export (via USB) shows to your mac or pc.

They also have a DEV SDK to extend the system, menu options etc, and I have the excellent ProgressBarKeys (makes no sense from the name unless you have a Toppy), which makes the unit the most indispensable method of watching and recording FTA digital TV in OZ.

URL: ProgressBarKeys (http://members.westnet.com.au/acullen/topfield.htm)

Check it out! You'll be glad you did. And only $369! Cheaper than an iPhone!

Cheers,
Craig

stefanlod
1st July 2008, 06:23 PM
Just saw it on Channel 7. God I cringe every time I see the Gadget Guy (wearing his Tivo shirt).

GeoffP
1st July 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

I've had one of these for about 2 years.... cannot believe people still buy DVD recorders and the like...

Topfield Australia : Topfield TF5000PVRt <font color='#DD6600'> (http://topfield.com.au/product.asp?SKU=TF5000PVRT)

Couldn't possibly watch TV without it. Get very frustrated when I am at someone's house and cannot stop, rewind, record 2 channels at once, blah blah blah

My unit is standard def but you can get high def versions as well.

Aahhhh, I have the Topfield masterpiece - pretty much the same unit as yours (just got a bit more bling :cool:)

Same here, could not watch TV without it - it will eventually be replaced with some sort of high def mac tv /apple device if/whenever it emerges...

in the meantime, the Toppy works a TREAT :thumbup:

Drofremoc
1st July 2008, 06:39 PM
Aahhhh, I have the Topfield masterpiece - pretty much the same unit as yours (just got a bit more bling :cool:)

Same here, could not watch TV without it - it will eventually be replaced with some sort of high def mac tv /apple device if/whenever it emerges...

in the meantime, the Toppy works a TREAT :thumbup:

So much so that I want my radio to work the same way!

I have a Griffin RadioShark that I can do the same sort of thing with but I want the functionality in a small portable box.

Once you go PVR, you can never go back :cool:

E10
1st July 2008, 06:41 PM
I have to agree, I have Foxtel iQ and it is a great and most convenient box.

mactalkuser8282
1st July 2008, 06:42 PM
I don't understand the excitement over Tivo. It is just a brand of PVR.

My perfect TV world.
- Small subscription fee.
- Only Ad's between shows OR none
- Stream in High Definition via the Internet
- Ability to do smart recording
- Small subscription fee - for all back catalogue content
- Interfaced like the Apple TV

marc
1st July 2008, 07:27 PM
TiVo's storage (80gb) is considerably smaller than iQ2 (320gb some of which is reserved for On Demand)
TV Tonight: TiVo hits back (http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/07/tivo-hits-back.html)

80GB? 80GB? Are they mad?????!??!?!?

Still want one Alessiman?

iSlayer
1st July 2008, 07:28 PM
80GB? 80GB? Are they mad?????!??!?!?

I think they secretly want it to fail :)

marc
1st July 2008, 08:03 PM
TV Tonight has edited the story. It seems 160GB is the correct figure.

That's better. Not brilliant, but much better.

andytlr
1st July 2008, 09:13 PM
TV Tonight has edited the story. It seems 160GB is the correct figure.

That's better. Not brilliant, but much better.

Not if it's recording in HD. My Beyonwiz has a 250gb hard drive and it gets half full regularly. I only series record two or three shows and then just record shows when I'm going to be out. So I'm a light user and I fill 125gb regularly. Plus I'm diligent about transferring stuff I want to keep to my Mac. What about all those people who will just want to keep things in the box.

It may be the only PVR with widespread reckognition but it doesn't make it great.

marc
1st July 2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I have a 320GB drive plugged into my Mac Mini for recording TV only... I mostly record standard def. How much free space do I have now? About 40GB :)

andytlr
1st July 2008, 09:34 PM
I just bought a 1TB external so I can keep recordings instead of having to do the sacrificial cull.

lenman74
1st July 2008, 10:05 PM
i have a series 1 tivo.

My OzTivo is so good the folks, my uncle, and a mate all got one.

My family can barely use ATM's and the net, but can easily set up season passes and use other tivo functions. The user interface is what makes it special.

My brother is moving out of home soon, and has asked me to buy him a hacked tivo box to replace the Austar version of the IQ he has. It works, he says, but is crap to use, cant set season passes and has to pick the same TV shows every week.

At least with the version of series 1 tivo's floating about OZ at present they have EPG for FTA and Foxtel, which is for free, and as far as I am aware, unique .

Got to say though, not too exited about a hobbled tivo. Bring on the hackers!

Alessiman
17th July 2008, 01:53 PM
For those that have missed it. Tivo have been selling the last day or two.

I just picked mine up at HN QV in Melbourne. Not bad as its 12 days before the official launch

Henry

iSlayer
21st July 2008, 06:26 PM
APC have an early review - APC - Reviews - Harvey Norman TiVo TiVo HD : TiVo HD hits Australia: a whole pile of steaming nothing (http://apcmag.com/tivo_hd.htm)
Revolutionary.... hardly

landog
21st July 2008, 07:15 PM
haha love that review

well ive tried everything, topfield, tivo, iq, iq2, and icetv on the mini.

icetv was promising, if only eyetv / the hardware tuners were more reliable

topfield was good but you needed to "manage it"

iq and iq2 is a ripoff, but hey, no stress and i have 50 channels. I use the appletv for all the good internet content

out

NORMANDY
21st July 2008, 07:20 PM
Tivo is coming!!

Though sadly Harvey Norman have a 3 month exclusive.

yawn, had a Topfield for years... better than any Tivo!

aafuss
22nd July 2008, 06:09 PM
Tivo and Panasonic's Blu-Ray recorder are exciting recent lauches this year-wonder what Foxtel will do up the ante.

mbd
23rd July 2008, 12:11 AM
Tivo and Panasonic's Blu-Ray recorder are exciting recent lauches this year-wonder what Foxtel will do up the ante.

What they usually do - increase their prices.

dixon
23rd July 2008, 12:46 AM
I was going to get tivo until i read this:
APC - Reviews - Harvey Norman TiVo TiVo HD : TiVo HD hits Australia: a whole pile of steaming nothing (http://apcmag.com/tivo_hd.htm)

whatashotbyseve
23rd July 2008, 03:24 AM
The Tivo may be more popular in some parts of the country than others, especially where Foxtel does not provide all the FTA feeds.

In Sydney i reckon it has minimal chance if you already have Foxtel because my IQ picks up all the FTA channels (ie. ABC, SBS, 7, 9, 10) with full EPG coverage. What incentive is there to pay $700 for a product that i can use for $10 a month?

macrich
23rd July 2008, 06:03 AM
TIVO sucks, long live AppleTV and torrents.
Seriously, I pay for Foxtel HD premium package on a monthly basis, there still isn't all that much crap on there worth recording most of the time. Why anyone would want to pay $700 to record the crap on FTA is beyond me. I noticed that there was no mention of being able to skip ads automatically like in the US.

marc
17th August 2008, 11:36 AM
When I looked at list of shows I had recorded I was surprised to see a flashing red flag next to the program with the following informational text: "Due to policy set by the copyright holder, this recording: Can only be kept until today at 3:26 PM. Cannot be transferred to VCR, DVD, or any other media device. To learn more, visit www.tivo.com/copyprotection"
Eik. That's awful.

TiVo auto-delete flag seen in the wilds again | PVRblog (http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2008/08/tivo-auto-delet.html)

andytlr
28th October 2008, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if IceTV works in regional Victoria? Marc? I can't see it in the settings on the website. A mate of mine lives in Daylesford and wanted to buy a Tivo. I suggested he get a Beyonwiz or a Topfield with an IceTV subscription. But not much point if it isn't going to work properly.