PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Graphic?

mikeb.aus81
9th April 2005, 12:40 PM
I came across this site BeyondGraphics (http://www.beyondgraphic.org), which questions the accuracy of the title 'Graphic Designer' in todays industry.

I personally think that 'graphic designer' is broad but fine terms for what we do. Are plumbers now water facilitators? I think the term serves well and I can't see an overwhelming need to change it

What are you thoughts?

bergerac
9th April 2005, 02:28 PM
I think like any proffession graphic design has its specialties ie you can be a doctor but be a surgeon, MD etc.. Keeping a broad definition helps people without much knowledge of the proffesion understand what we do generally.

pipsqeek
10th April 2005, 11:36 AM
I call myself a computer artist sometimes. Pretty much defines what I can do.

pipsqeek

geektechnu
10th April 2005, 12:15 PM
I tutor multimedia at my old university - I do other design stuff in my own time.
What do my parents tell people I do?

"He teaches computer... stuff.... You know... it's comlicated to explain."

That's what I get for coming from an Asian background :lol:

iluvmymactoo
10th April 2005, 01:16 PM
Well I guess it depends what it says on that piece of paper that you paid far too much money for :rolleyes:

But not having the luxury of being over educated (and subsequently jipped of a lot of money for no apparent purpose) I lean on my experience and own ability as an artist.... I'm an artist.

arty
10th April 2005, 01:32 PM
I got fed up with "Graphic/Web/Multimedia designer/coder" - no one likes to be a slash, it's like "actor/waiter".

So now I use the title "pixel pushing code wrangler"

BiRDBRAiN
10th April 2005, 03:39 PM
I think the word "designer" is misunderstood particularly when it comes to web based professions.

The find most of the people I deal with don't understand the difference between a web designer, or web developer.

I do both but lean heavily towards the development side of things, and I am always finding that people take the art/design side of it for granted, or vice versa.