PDA

View Full Version : Universal power adapter on the horizon???

SyncMan
17th June 2008, 08:21 AM
http://www.macworld.com.au/news/view/467/

A technology that could help the environment by eliminating the need to ship a power adapter with every electronics device got a vote of confidence Friday from consumer electronics maker Westinghouse Digital Electronics.

Westinghouse said it had committed to using a smart power technology developed by a start-up company, Green Plug, that aims to let people use a single "universal adapter" to power their laptops, mobile phones and other electronics gear.

Questions...

Will this become the norm, or just fade away as a nice idea?

Will Apple adopt it, MagSafe style?

Will this really help the environment?

stewiesno1
17th June 2008, 08:53 AM
The idea is right but I don't think is feasible because of all the different current requirements needed by so many different devices. Such a beast may be technically doable but I think the cost of making an adapter like this would be a lot more than manufactures would be willing to spend.
I would love to be proved wrong on this though and would gladly get rid of my box full of old AC power adapters - all with different ends to their plugs and varying output voltages etc.

Stewie

Byrd
17th June 2008, 09:34 AM
Same here stewie - if you're anything like me, with a few gadgets my draw of power adapters is ready to burst!

I welcome our new universal charging overlord, if it ever arrives (the "charging mat" is also welcomed).

JB

MrJesseRoss
17th June 2008, 09:40 AM
Does that mean a single charger that everything plugs into at once, or a single charger design that works with all products?

Lutze
17th June 2008, 09:57 AM
Does that mean a single charger that everything plugs into at once, or a single charger design that works with all products?

I thought that Apple were doing pretty well on the "Universal Charger" front. iPhone, iPods etc all charge through one system, it's just a shame we can't plug our laptops into their own USB port and charge them that way ;). Saying that of course, the next easy *cough* step would be to push enough current through usb to charge your laptop through another computers USB.

As for the charge mat thingy .... I love the idea, but worry that I'll have said charge mat on my desk and my arm will be resting on it without me noticing, then I'll end up leaving the house looking like this:

http://z.about.com/d/physics/1/0/C/0/-/-/Einstein_tongue.jpg

~Coxy
17th June 2008, 10:27 AM
I'd be happy if every device came with a plugpack small enough and oriented the correct way to fit on a powerboard! You get things like the Nintendo DS charger which is easily slim enough to fit but they orient it horizontall so it blocks three sockets, or even 2 if you put it on the end of the board!

The next step would be every small device coming with a USB socket wall charger and a USB charging cable.

fleegle
17th June 2008, 11:51 AM
The next step would be every small device coming with a USB socket wall charger and a USB charging cable.
Then you'd just end up with a bunch of wall chargers that you didn't use. I'd rather that they all just provided the option to charge using a standard USB cable. That way they wouldn't need to provide another cable, you could just use one you already own.

Even though I can connect my phone to my PC using USB, it won't use the connection to charge. I needed to buy a separate cable in order to do that. I also needed to buy another cable for my DS because it has a custom connection. Still, carrying a couple of cables is better than lugging around the original chargers.