PDA

View Full Version : Stick with my 15" beast or go down on a 12" cutie?

zen
7th April 2005, 10:52 AM
As some of you may or may not know, I currently own the previous rev of the 15" 1.5Ghz G4/512MB/80GB/BT/WIFI/KB Backlit Powerbook.

But lately I've been starting to do a lot more travelling by foot and sometimes it seems like the 12" is way to bulky (not that there is much of a weight difference)

There will only be a very small amount of cash involved in selling my 15" and buying a new 12" with the same spec and naturally there wont be much getting use to in terms of performance between the two. But still uncertain if I can cope with the sudden shrinkage!

Disko
7th April 2005, 11:03 AM
Personally, i wouldn't trade down to a 12" anything unless i had a decent desktop at home with good screen real estate. I'd say stay with the 15".

geektechnu
7th April 2005, 11:06 AM
I think putting the "I like cake" gag answer was a bad idea - how can one resist clicking it? :P

Seriously tho - If you're shooting for a similar spec, then size is the only real issue.
I've got a few students at uni with various sized PBs. The 12" is definitely easier to carry, and will fit confortably in almost any bag, but a 15" screen is easier to work with.

Go down to an AppleCenter, play with one of their 12" for a while - open a few apps to check how you like the size of the screen. And ask if you can throw it into a bag and walk around the store for a bit (if they will let you...).

I have a 12" iBook - I mostly only do a little web surfing & web development (mostly text editing), and it's fine for that - but it's not my primary machine.

BTW: I do like Cake - their music is great!

Ozi
7th April 2005, 11:32 AM
zen, I reckon stay witha 15" for sure, but I admit I too clicked the "I like cake" option. mmm.

cake.

As for the argument of the new 12" being the same spec as the 15" you currently own, thats wrong. Bad zen. The new 12"ers still have inferior graphics cards, and less expandability for RAM. And no backlit keyboards. Ad less ports. And really don't get the ladies like a 15". Otherwise, sure, the specs are identical! :D

jerrah
7th April 2005, 12:57 PM
If the specs were all the same and I didn't currently have a PB I'd take the 12". The extra resolution of the 15" PB would make me think twice about it, but I already have 2 fast desktop computers and if I need a large screen I could always plug the 12" into a 20" LCD.

I'd prefer a small laptop for using away from the office, on the lounge, in bed etc... 12" is a portable size, 15" is ok for travelling with and 17" is huge. ;)

Besides the smaller my laptop the more cameras/mp3 players/books etc. I can fit. ;)

(I currently use a 14" laptop (1400x1050resolution) which is ok)

spargo
7th April 2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by zen@Apr 7 2005, 10:52 AM
As some of you may or may not know, I currently own the previous rev of the 15" 1.5Ghz G4/512MB/80GB/BT/WIFI/KB Backlit Powerbook.
Dear Zen,

Stay true with 15"er. While i've been home I've been spanning mine across a spare 15" CRT my brother has, and it really makes it worth the while to have a great widescreen laptop. And if you don't have one already, go get an iCurve for it, and then you'll truly appreciate its size.

Even with all my travelling (I refer you to the somewhat out-of-date spargoblog below), i'd still stick with the 15 over the 12, simply because of the screen size, and most importantly width! And the backlit keyboard is something you immediately miss when you borrow someones Windows laptop and try and use it in a dimly lit room.

If you need to regenerate interest and excitement in your 15"er, go out and get a 1 Gig stick of RAM and slot it in there.. the increase in performance and dramatic reduction in any existing lag times will get your excited about the old machine immediately.

And Ozi, its not your 15"er they're looking at, it's actually the buff surfy guy sitting in the row behind you in the lecture :P

LCGuy
7th April 2005, 03:18 PM
Definately stay with the 15". :)

matttt88
7th April 2005, 03:39 PM
*Puts hand up*

I got a 1.33ghz 12" 768mb RAM, 60gb.

I could do with a little more screen space. Not really necessary, also arent the 15's cooler in temperature?

But yes it is very cute and very portable, Not sure if i will miss that. Also all my bags fit the 12" perfectly... A 15" will only fit in some old un-cool, un-mac like bag :(

Matt.

EDIT: Yes i do like cake! :D

Ozi
7th April 2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by spargo@Apr 7 2005, 02:46 PM
And Ozi, its not your 15"er they're looking at, it's actually the buff surfy guy sitting in the row behind you in the lecture :P
rats. :P

Anyways, sif there will be a buff surfy guy in a science degree: they are all arts students. :lol: the 4 contact hours per week is perfect for letting them surf. Science, with some 25 contact hours, really messes with the crave for the wave. ;)

Also, I refute the implication that im not buff. Give me 20 minutes with photoshop, and I can blow the ladies away! :D

Back OT: the screen resolution thing has been raised, and I must say that the 1280x854 resolution on these powerbooks is great for movies. I haven't watched a movie on a 17", but the 15"er certainly does movies wonderfully.

Phillip
7th April 2005, 08:07 PM
Make it easy for ya. If you have a powerful desktop, say a G4 or G5 go with the 12" Powerbook. Its so small and 'cute'. Much more nicer than the big 'chucky' 15" :P

Or if you don't stick to your 15". The screen space you lose switching from the 15" to the 12" is not it. :(

arty
7th April 2005, 08:20 PM
If you have a monitor at home, go with the 12" - portability when you need it, and a bigger screen when you are at your desk.

Edit: Oh, and I clicked the cake option too - chocolate please :)

king89
7th April 2005, 08:20 PM
I say stick with the 15" (same as mine :P) as after a while with a good bag (not those shoulder straps ones) you rarely feel the weight anymore. I do most of my travelling on foot, and I rarely miss a beat. The extra screen real estate is also great when you have a break between classes to catch up on an episode of battestar gallactica. :P

I thought he was referring to a nice big slice of chocolate mud cake preferably with a bit of vanilla ice cream on the side.

Paxton
7th April 2005, 08:33 PM
Like everybody else have said stay with the 15 inch. I have a 14 inch Dell Latitude, and I feel the difference between the PowerBook and the Latitude, especially in screen real estate and resolution. Firefox looks better on my PowerBook, not just because of the OS, but my Resolution is higher on the PowerBook. I understand the Latitude is not a 12 inch computer, but at just over one inch smaller than the PowerBook, I can feel the difference.

Just try it out for yourself, and see which one you prefer. The 15 inch is better value, and is better looking than the 12 inch model. I also think it is sturdier, and better to use, because of the palm rests and the speakers on the side of the keyboard.

I did not click on the 'I like cake option' by the way. Yay, I am an individual!

Galumay
7th April 2005, 09:38 PM
having just picked my new 15" pb with 1 gb ram & 100gb hd i can honestly say,

OMG, what a lush piece of engineering, i lurve it so much already. it is both smaller & lighter than i expected. i am so glad i didnt go with the 12" !!

thanx frequency, another happy customer!

zen
7th April 2005, 10:23 PM
Oh cool! so many replies and love from other fellow members :P

To be honest, this is my first poll and I didn't know there was a 'null vote' button :rolleyes: So originally it was for me so I can view other peoples opinion! Hah!

Guess you people has convinced me to stick with this big fella for a little bit longer. The ram upgrade does sounds tempting, although both slots are being occupied I guess I'd have to ditch one of them for a 512MB or just buy a stick of 1GB :) money... money... need some mollah!

At times, I take the screen real estate for granted so I didn't realise how important it was. Did a little experiment earlier this arvo, cut out some paper and used it to cover the screen to make it look like a 12", then dropped the res to 1024x769 and played a Widescreen DivX. Everything is no longer as exciting as it use to be. Fired up Photoshop and the pallets takes up 1/3 of the screen, no thanks...

Next question... is $500 for applecare worth it? :unsure:

I've made my decision, but this doesn't mean you still can't post your comments, so feel free to keep this thread alive!

fompsweeva
7th April 2005, 10:28 PM
I say go the 12"! :P

mbd
7th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by zen@Apr 7 2005, 10:23 PM

One word answer: Yes.

I always strongly suggest applecare for anyone with an apple notebook - these are portable devices that are far more likely to suffer the occasional bump than a desktop. They also have very complex miniaturised technologies inside including a lot of custom parts that are very expensive to replace.

Applecare will give you peace of mind, and will easily pay for itself if you ever need to have the machine fixed within the three years of coverage.

Additionally, you get three years of apple tech support, which can be handy.

And, finally, you'll find that Apple tends to treat you a little better when you ring up with issues. I'm sure it's not official or anything, but I've found that once you go through on Applecare, they tend to listen and act a little more readily.

If you're still not sure - check the archives of the tibook mailing list (http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/titanium.html) and see the responses given there - you'll hardly ever see someone respond to this qn saying that applecare isn't worth it.

BTW, even though you've decided, i vote for keeping the 15". I owned a couple of tibooks, then went 12" then went 17" and am returning to 15" soon - it's the best balance of power and portability imho.

vargz
7th April 2005, 10:43 PM
Well I didn't vote, cos I have neither so I can't make an assessment! But as I look to buy a PB , Im finding myself facing the 12 or 15 question, portability versus versatility.

The pros and cons are well know, but Im keenly watching this thread and each user's response may help shape my final decision!

Cheers :)

Jaymz
7th April 2005, 11:33 PM
1024x768 drives me nucking futs.

However, if/when I go for a notebook, I'd much rather have portability over screen real estate. In general, I'd be more inclined to just go with an iBook, or 12" PowerBook than a 15" or greater PowerBook, simply because I don't believe in the idea of desktop replacement notebooks.

A high-end PowerBook would be a nice thing to have, but I'd much rather spend the money on an iMac, or PowerMac instead.

Also, for the cake lovers - YOU KNOW WHO ELSE LIKED CAKE, DON'T YOU? THAT'S RIGHT:
http://www.ng-gamers.com/jaymz/imagespam/milfeulle.jpg

(Anime joke, you probably wouldn't get it)

happymakinggames
8th April 2005, 09:59 PM
1024x768 is too small for me now.... my first laptop had that, then moved to 1400x1050 (twice) then to 1280x854 (15"pb) the portability is great, but the resolution of the 12" is just too small.

Doesn't stop me from ogling my friends' 12" pbs though! :)

Enjoy the 12", a colleague with one says: "12 inch is really all a man needs"! ;)

Phillip
8th April 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by zen@Apr 7 2005, 10:23 PM
Depends. If the machine is like a Powerbook 12" for @2399 - I don't think so. Its like over 1/5 of the orginal price and plus, by the time your machine goes out of warrenty, the machine's value would be much much lower and would be superceded by a newer model.

But for 15" or 17" yes - its diffinetlty worth it. I dunno, maybe is just me, but I've been hanging round a service center for a few days now and out of the 40 Powerbooks I have seen being fixed, 30 would be the 15". 5 and 5 for the 17" and 12". The biggest issue is the logic board and replacing it will set you back a few hundred bucks + a couple hours of labour. Easily had up to well over half a grand.

Rayd
9th April 2005, 12:42 AM
cake for me! :)

but the the answer, if you need PCMIA slots.. backlight keyboard or dont mind the 15" underyour arm and dont think its to bulky, then stick with it! :D