PDA

View Full Version : Persistent Powerbook kernel panics

the_OM
6th April 2005, 08:45 PM
On the weekend I purchased an 80gb ext. drive, and updated to 10.3.8 and since then I've been experiencing kernal panics non-stop.

I moved all my music over to the drive (about 40gbs in samples, mp3s etc..) and some movies. I did nothing else except point iTunes towards the external drive for its library. If the drive is connected and I'm doing something it'll freeze soemtimes, and I have to restart. If the drive is on when i'm booting up, sometimes it just freezes on the Apple start-up screen.

I've formatted it, verified the disk, repaired the disc on my external drive and nothing has happened.
But here's the thing, when I try to verify or repair permission on my internal drive, it comes up with "Disk Utility stoppped verifying permissions on "Macintosh HD" because the following error was encountered: No Valid Packages"

Anyone know how to find a way around this problem? Or will have to reinstall the OS or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: running 10.3.8 on a 15'' 1ghz Albook. 768mb RAM, 60gb FUJITSU MHT2060AT Hard Drive. Combo drive.
My External Drive is an 80gb Lacie Porsche Drive.

macmate
6th April 2005, 08:49 PM
re-install your system. (archive and install)

if that doses't work then you have a hardware problem. when you re-install do do the 10.3.8 update straight away. There is a good rule i like to follow. if it ain't broke then don't fix it, unless you were experiencing crashes then there is no need to upgrade.

the_OM
6th April 2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks macmate.... I'll give it a crack and see how it goes.

Currawong
6th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Could be the firmware on the external case is old. Do you know what chipset the case is? Should say in Disk Utility or Apple System Profiler.

Maticks
6th April 2005, 11:04 PM
i had something simular with my powermac but it was with ide drives i put in the machine.
the first thing that was happening was freezing at bootup.
the other was when i left it for a while came back and it froze or if i clicked on something the machine would crash.

I know what the problem was with mine, the hard drives were spinning down and not spinning up in time and osx seem to crash when it cant talk to the disks.
it happens on my machine everytime the disks spin down, easy fix was disable in energy saving the disks going to sleep.

The bootup problem was a bit harder, i found one of the drives took 10 seconds to initialize using hdparm a unix hard drive inspecting program, i downloaded a util off thier website to make the drive less quiet and more responsive which they call "performance" but its really just another way of getting what you payed for.
that seem to have fixed my problem, the only issue was to run the program you must put the disks on windows.
i would also suggest backing up the data if you've got seagate drives.

since this is an external drive you could simply power it up after you login and disable disk sleep in energy saving. :)

the_OM
8th April 2005, 08:51 AM
Yep, its a hardware failure.
I got a replacement iPod yesterday, and I can't restore the iPod software, can't unload songs. 4 kernal panics since yesterday after I re-installed it.

Not a good week for me and Apple products this week, first my iPod (it was killing my headphones) and now my powerbook. So its off to the Applestore I go.

the_OM
11th April 2005, 07:46 PM
Okay, here's another update. I brought my powerbook into the applestore today after doing an archive and install, and an erase and install. The last kernal panic happened yesterday when the computer just froze (total of four yesterday after a complete erase and install)

Also when trying to unload my songs from my fw external drive to my ipod which is connected via usb2, it would literally take a minute or two for each song (say 4mb or so), and would do maybe 7 or 8 songs before disconnecting my iPod.

So I dropped it in at around 12-ish, and got a call at about 4pm with the tech telling me that he ran a bunch of diagnostics and couldn't find anything wrong with it. He also ran diskwarrior and said that it found some irregularities with the disk and fixed them, but apart from that nothing else.

They've got it over night and are running the tests in a loop in the hope that it panics/crashes over night. It can't be the ipod causing it because I got it replaced last thursday and this all started happening last monday. So anyone else got any ideas as to what might be wrong?

applecollector
11th April 2005, 08:14 PM
this sort of thing happened tro me as well but i solved it buy re-installing the Operating System to 10.3.4 but i'm not quite sure! hope you fix the problem very soon.

AusMac
11th April 2005, 09:22 PM
have you thought of overheating?
how do you place the computer when in use? ... as regards breathe-ability?

the_OM
11th April 2005, 09:36 PM
its sitting on top of an icurve in my study.
its a fairly well ventilated room, so I don't think heat is that much of an issue.

When I did both the re-installs I only updated it to 10.3.7 because i thought it was the update to 8 (which i did the day before all this started happening), so it's not that either.

I guess the best I can hope for is the tech finds something overnight, or the issue is really gone and was something obscure and temporary (probaly not, but one can only hope)

the_OM
12th April 2005, 06:55 PM
Okay, so here's today's update. I got into work around 8-ish expecting a call saying there was nothing wrong, but nothing.
So around 10-ish I did the annoying customer thing and rang to see how everything was. The tech told me that he ran the diagnostic tests on my powerbook overnight, making it loop over and over. When he got in this morning, it was still working fine, so he was about to call me when he picked it up and it had a kernal panic.

Then he restarted it again, logged in and the screen froze. And it did that a few times. So he was going to play around with it today and see what he could find, but the hardware tests aren't finding anything, and its a completely clean install....... has anyone ever heard of that before?

I'm just thinking to myself, how lucky was it that it crashed when it did, otherwise I'd have it back right now, and it'd probably be crashing over and over.

So here's hoping they find whats wrong.

macmate
12th April 2005, 07:28 PM
i am experiencing the same headache with a clients PM DP800.

good luck.

hawker
12th April 2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Apr 12 2005, 07:28 PM
i am experiencing the same headache with a clients PM DP800.
But you're a tech. you have to fix it :P

macmate
14th April 2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 12 2005, 08:27 PM
But you're a tech. you have to fix it :P
yep and i have.

the_OM
14th April 2005, 06:25 PM
Lucky DP800 owner.

I'm getting the logic board replaced in mine. They aren't certain that's the problem, but because nothing is coming up in the hardware tests (they even did a complete full install themselves and its still happening) its the closest bet, and probably the cause of the problem (i hope!).

If not then, all the internal parts could be completely new by the time its done!!!!

Hopefully it should be fixed by tuesday (the part should arrive monday). It just sucks going from a 15'' screen to a 12'' iBook screen at the moment, and from a G4 to a G3.

the_OM
21st April 2005, 11:43 AM
Okay, so here's the latest for anyone interested. I
My powerbook is still in repair. They took a while to order the part because I bought Applecare on the last day of my warranty (thank christ i did too), and the nice Indian call centre lady I spoke too told me that I wouldn't have to send anything in and that she would take care of activating it or something. Long story short, she didn't.
So the replacement logic board was just ordered yesterday, so it should be here tomorrow and they tell me that it should be ready sometime tomorrow afternoon or if not on monday.

As for my iPod, the refurbished one that they sent me crapped itself. I tried to load all my songs that are on my external drive onto it using an iBook because the powerbook is out of action (last time I tried with the powerbook it just kept kernal panicing).
Anyways it just kept shitting itself, going really slow, and when i tried to restore the software it kept saying "The iPod disk does not have the correct structure". So basically they sent me one that was DOA. So they ordered another one, (refurbed again no doubt, uukkkk!) and they say that the next one should be in tomorrow as well hopefully.

This has been a shit two weeks for me and Apple products, a powerbook and 2 iPods have fucked up, and the second logic board on my sisters iBook that I gave to her is about to go at anytime now. Seriously, I'm thinking my next notebook will be an IBM, and my next portable player will be a sony, or, at least until Apple sort out their absolutely shithouse and second rate quality control.

Anyways, on a lighter note, I have a new IBM desktop at work. If anyone remembers my thread about my shit ipex machine, well it's been replaced with a 3.0ghz IBM ThinkCentre and 17'' LCD. Its looks awesome, all in black. So that's a bright spot for the past couple of weeks. Anyways, I'll keep you all posted on what other disasters I have will Apple products.

the_OM
29th April 2005, 08:34 AM
Okay well this turning out to be quite a saga. 2 and a half weeks, and the part hasn't been ordered yet.
The tech says its because no one at apple has registered my applecare warranty, and the people at Apple say that the warranty is registered.

So nothing has happened since my post last week, my powerbook has just been sitting at the applestore.

It could be quite some time, 2 and a half weeks for a part that they don't even know for sure will fix the problem. I'll post an update next friday, but chances are it will still be at the same place.

ford.boy
29th April 2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Apr 29 2005, 08:34 AM
Okay well this turning out to be quite a saga. 2 and a half weeks, and the part hasn't been ordered yet.
The tech says its because no one at apple has registered my applecare warranty, and the people at Apple say that the warranty is registered.

So nothing has happened since my post last week, my powerbook has just been sitting at the applestore.

It could be quite some time, 2 and a half weeks for a part that they don't even know for sure will fix the problem. I'll post an update next friday, but chances are it will still be at the same place.
Ahh yes. Takes forever no?

My logic board on my ibook went to heaven (so did the hdd and obviously the CD drive)

2 freaking months later. Well one and a half. But hell it's a long time. At least you got a lovely IBM, i have a shocking Dell to use. :angry:

the_OM
3rd May 2005, 04:35 PM
Week 3: still waiting.
Was assured by the tech last thursday that even though the pbook is still showing up as out of warranty for him, but registered in Applecare from Apple's side (how that works i dunno). He's managed to secure a cust. ref. number from Apple and "should" have ordered the part.

Haven't spoken to him since thursday, so I don't know what's going on. The tech has been really helpful in chasing all this up for me, I don't really know what's happening on Apple's side to comment, but its just frustrating.

Hopefully something will come up this week sometime.

macmate
4th May 2005, 12:50 PM
apple has a new service ordering system that has been in place for oz for almost a month now. i use to get part overnight 90% of the time. But now with this new system i am averaging 3-4 days per delivery. This is really making me look bad even though the clients are told that we are waiting on parts. I use to pride myself on getting all service jobs turned around in 2-5 days while most store only promise to look at it in 2-5 days and generally take another week or so to get it back to the customer.

i just hope they sort their stuff out quickly because one ipod owner has been waiting a month for his blue ipod mini.

Currawong
4th May 2005, 06:22 PM
Personally, I'd be politely phoning Apple and calmly discussing their legal requirement to be able to repair a machine if I was waiting more than a week.

the_OM
6th May 2005, 04:34 PM
4 Weeks, part is in, meant to be ready today. No phonecall to say that it won't be and I'm leaving the office now so i won't be in the city to pick it up until monday at the latest.

At what point should I take it up with Apple regarding a replacement, because this shit has gone on way too long now. They aren't even certain that this is the part to replace, and I'm guessing by it not being ready to pick up today that it isn't the part that was faulty.

Getting kind of ridiculous now.

applecollector
6th May 2005, 04:53 PM
Even though you weren't nice to me, i will still say good luck in getting it fixed!
I hope for your sake it will be ready on Monday at the latest! :-)

the_OM
7th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the wait is finally over!
Got a call last night telling me everything was fixed and ready to pick up. So now I have my baby back, and I no longer have to use my sister's 12'' ibook (it's seriously fucked, I don't know what she's done to it since I gave it to her, but the display is so bad).

God I'm so happy to have the 15'' back. Now I'm onto my tiger installation.

Thanks to everyone who posted, appreciate it.