PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to "overcharge" your iPod?

Aurora
29th April 2004, 01:45 PM
I was wondering whether it is possible to overcharge your iPod or charge too much. Is it bad to leave your iPod on the charge overnight even if it may only need a few hours to fully charge?

decryption
29th April 2004, 02:15 PM
Apparently, according to the manual, it shuts off charging once it's fully charged.

But, whenever I leave the iPod overnight to charge, in the morning, it's only got half a charge or so, instead of being fully charged...

Aurora
29th April 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 29 2004, 02:15 PM
But, whenever I leave the iPod overnight to charge, in the morning, it's only got half a charge or so, instead of being fully charged...

I guess there is no explanation as to why this is so? I have noticed in the short six days I have owned an iPod that when you charge it until it says it is at full capacity and then immediately use it, it's not fully charged at all so you put it back on the charger and it keeps charging - SO incredibly annoying :angry:

pipsqeek
29th April 2004, 03:05 PM
decryption
Posted on Apr 29 2004, 02:15 PM

Apparently, according to the manual, it shuts off charging once it's fully charged.

This might happen because of one thing I noticed with my iBook...

Once the battery is fully charged (while in use and not in use) it gets to 100% then after an hour, tapers down to 99%, then 98%, etc...

Its sitting on 96% and its been plugged in for a whole day.

This is a method of saving the battery from overcharging. Commonly used in reputable charges for normal charging of AA's and the like.

Basically to avoid having a half full battery, it would be recommended to take it off the charger when its done.

In short, the answer to you question...no the battery life will not be affected. The above it the reason why it won't.

Steve