PDA

View Full Version : Male Advice Required - Car Talk

Taezar
10th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Apologies to any female forum members how are knowledgeable with regards to cars, but...

I am looking to buy a diesel vehicle, preferably something safe, good value, hatch back or jeep-like for my diving gear. Not a tank - and up to around $35,000 new - but preferably second hand around $25k.

I have just got a new job and I will be driving more in a day than I normally do in a week (10km a week is a big week for me at the moment - live and work in the CBD) and I want something safe (lots of motorway travel against the traffic) and fuel efficient. Brand isn't important, but reliability and fuel efficiency is - as is the ability to comfortably do the 500km every quarter up to Bundaberg plus the 100km a week for work.

Suggestions???

Cheers

Tae

PS. I HATE car shopping - HATE HATE HATE HATE - yes a strong word, but I always end up getting pressured because I try to be nice and the next thing I know I have to do a runner and come back with a token guy.

PPS. Colour is not a factor - unless it is really shiny and pretty!

vortex_
10th June 2008, 11:39 PM
PS. I HATE car shopping - HATE HATE HATE HATE - yes a strong word, but I always end up getting pressured because I try to be nice and the next thing I know I have to do a runner and come back with a token guy.

So, to me it sounds like you hate it because you go to car-yards :)

I've bought 6 cars in my lifetime, not a single one of them from a car yard. Used car salesmen are scumbags of the highest order. Generally they don't know shit from cheese and will tell you what you want to hear to get you to drive out in the piece of shit they're selling. Too many times have I attempted to deal with used car dealers only to end up pissed off, one time even being asked to leave the yard - because I caught the dealer out clearly lying to me.

Get a mate who knows what they're looking at, and go shopping with private sellers. Before you buy, your local automobile association should offer a service for checking the vehicle over (RACQ up there?) so you know exactly what you're in for.

Sorry I can offer any tips on makes/models etc to go for - I'm a Japanese sports car fan myself and know nothing about oil burners :p

lurka
10th June 2008, 11:47 PM
X-Trail NOT the CVT automatic.

Taezar
11th June 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi Vortex - I need a starting point. I did a bit of a search on Cars Guide and didn't find much at all... so looking for some brands / makes to get me going so I can handle the visits to view :)
Thanks Lurka - will check it out :)
T

kim jong il
11th June 2008, 01:15 AM
I'd be inclined to find a token guy to help you with your purchase regardless of what car/model you decide on. People will try it on with women and car purchases because they think they can get away with it. I'm sure you are aware that a disturbing number of vehicle traders have reputations as bottom feeders. These will try to take advantage of the token guy also so choose wisely.

When shopping for the token guy to help you I'd suggest looking for an older model (mid to late 1960's), thoughtful and intelligent is probably best, with a smallish but well balanced ego (earlier models with these qualities are also well worth looking in to). Maintenance on these is generally straightforward as they don't need constant stroking like the newer ones. Younger, more recent, models with large capacity egos can be quite troublesome as they tend not to readily accept input from the person in control as well as being high maintenance. :)

Oh wait... Cars? My folks drive a Peugeot 307 diesel. It has quite basic equipment, is quite solid, nice to drive, very reliable and gets around 5.5 - 6.5 litres per 100 km (~1000 kilometres on a 60 litre tank). They don't look bad either. If you want bells and whistles this car is probably not for you.

Lutze
11th June 2008, 01:31 AM
My GF had to buy a new car and due to weird circumstances found it easier to get a loan for $29k and a new car, than it was to get $10k for a second hand one...

She needed one for work urgently so we looked around. Her first choice was the much touted i30 from Hyundai - took the oil burner out for a test drive and it ran perfectly well - was powerful enough and on economy it's superb. The base model needs lots of extras to get it into the comfort zone. When we priced it all up the sales guy was a complete knob and he came in seriously over budget so we told them we'd think about it.

We had a test drive with Subaru for an Impreza. The guys in the showroom were great, very helpful friendly and polite. The car had both of us grinning from the pleasure of driving it. We priced it up and the guy was great. We made it clear what our budget was - and their base model fitted with that - yet did not need any work to get it into the comfort zone - 5 star safety, cruise control that we now both swear by, if you do lots of long driving it's brilliant. It's petrol, and pretty thirsty, but and to us this is the important bit.... she still loves the car. Totally happy with it, and does not regret the purchase.

Subaru are said to be bringing their diesel to Australia soonish. I read a review for it on 4car.com (UK site) (this pretty much was just for the engine) and they loved it.

I've driven the older focus oil burner 1.9tdci and it was a great drive as well.

I guess it depends on what you need. Your budget will easily hit a well equipped Impreza, Focus, etc.

trudy
11th June 2008, 01:31 AM
What about
I mean (deep voice)
what about a Volkswagon Golf
they're surprisingly roomy and use almost no
fuel on highway driving
very safe
very pleasant
(test drive one anyway)

Rudy

Lutze
11th June 2008, 01:34 AM
If I could get one here I'd be buying a Bluemotion Polo. It's VW's take on hybrid and yet it manages to stay looking like a Polo. Something about changing the way a car looks to make it "look" hybrid gets right on my nerves.

leon
11th June 2008, 02:46 AM
My vote is for the VW Golf Diesel. I'm tossing up between it and the GTI.

Lutze
11th June 2008, 02:48 AM
My vote is for the VW Golf Diesel. I'm tossing up between it and the GTI.

I know when I can get a job here I'll be looking directly at the Golf GT Sport. I like wolves in sheep's clothing.

Brains
11th June 2008, 03:00 AM
Nissan Terrano. It's a full-import, 4WD from japan that's diesel and is about the size and capacity of a RAV4, just a lot better built.

http://www.urban4x4.co.uk/images/terrano/imgp0135.jpg

My friend Guy (Sydney-based) bought one 18 months ago that was already a few years old, well looked after, cost him $17,000 and it has done Melbourne-to-Cairns-and-back more times than he cares to think about and it has never skipped a beat.

Worth considering, if you'd like something a little larger than a Golf that could also handle some bush-bustin' action once in a while.

cosmichobo
11th June 2008, 06:55 AM
Do Diesel cars really give such great economy? Last night at Woolies Diesel was around $1.75 per litre... unleaded was $1.45 per litre...

doofus
11th June 2008, 07:36 AM
If you want a jeep like experience you might consider one of these.
Browser Warning (http://autospeed.com/cms/A_107992/article.html)

arkenstone
11th June 2008, 07:44 AM
Another votw for the VW Golf. Sensational little cars. Just stunning.

If I were in the market for a sensible economical car I wouldn't go past a Diesel golf. Unfortunately I'm not into sensible cars at the moment :)

Devil
11th June 2008, 08:47 AM
Just a random list of cars:

Hyundai i30

Ford Focus Diesel

Holden Astra Diesel

VW Golf Diesel (get the 2.0 litre turbo diesel)

VW Beetle Diesel (had a petrol one - not much boot space unless you put the back seats down but such a cool looking car - new one not far away?)

Honda Jazz VTiS CVT 7 speed Auto (have one at the moment - very economical - new one not far away)

shiny
11th June 2008, 09:05 AM
Just to add to the above list if looking second hand a Peugeot 306, 406 or 307 diesel are great cars, my uncle has owned one of each over the years and does a lot of long distance driving and all have been great, I would also look at the Golf Diesel, heard great things about them too.

Paxton
11th June 2008, 10:19 AM
Focus Diesel or Diesel Golf.

The Hyundai i30 might have a good safety rating, but there is still nothing that would make me consider buying one. Not a one. They don't look particularly attractive either.

The one thing you may want to consider is the 'economy' of a Golf is now diminishing, as Diesel is getting too expensive (and combined with Diesel cars being ~5,000 more than a Petrol one), it will take longer to make the extra cost up.

I'd be tempted to get a Top Of the Line Petrol Golf/Focus, and not worry about fuel prices. (But I do drive a V8, so I can't talk).

Kuma
11th June 2008, 10:29 AM
I bought the new xtrail.. and love it.... goes beautifully.... but mine is not diesel
(not available in Japan)
space inside is great... unless it is a family.

Im very happy with my fuel economy... but like I said.. its petrol.. so a diesel would be a different experience (probably a better one).

delux
11th June 2008, 11:33 AM
My personal choice would have to be the base model Skoda Octavia TDi Wagon or Hatch, both should be able to take all your gear.
Skoda (http://www.skoda.com.au/showroom-octavia-pricing.asp)
Although new to the Australian market the car brand has existed for a long while. Its owned by VW and uses VW vast engineering expertise and components (engines, safety systems etc). It also has excellent build quality and is rated as a better built vehicle than its cousins at VW They are having drive away deals at the moment and being new to the market you should also be able to bring the price down some more again.

Next up would be the base model golf diesel TDi, they represent a great bargain as they are now packed with extra features for no extra cost. A Golf looks small on the outside but is extremely well packaged so it will take all your diving gear. They also go for around the 25k mark 2nd hand. Link to golf in QLD (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=diesel&__Dx=mode+matchany&State=Queensland&Cr=16&state_id=79&keywords=diesel&R=5812741&__N=4294962746+79+834+285+257&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&__Ntt=diesel&trecs=32&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&silo=1003&__sid=11A776B32D64&seot=0&Make=VOLKSWAGEN) Note: Example only, im not the seller and i do not know or represent the seller, just a Golf in QLD that looks like a bargain

The Hyundai i30 represents great value but as with all Hyundai products it will probably suffer from lacklustre resale value. So I would steer clear.

Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mazda, Fiat, all make diesel as well. So they may be worth a look. But I would highly recommend a Skoda or VW. They make the best diesels on the market.

This is a subject I could rant on about for ages as i am very passionate about Diesel cars, but I will leave you with this last and most important thought.

No matter which vehicle you choose, please try to ensure it has the following if your budget allows,
Anti Lock Brakes
Electronic Stability Control
Airbags
Which the Skoda has:)
Skoda Safety (http://www.skoda.com.au/showroom-octavia-safety.asp)

Good luck please let us all know how you go.

Doobsy
11th June 2008, 11:43 AM
Focus Diesel or Diesel Golf.

The Hyundai i30 might have a good safety rating, but there is still nothing that would make me consider buying one. Not a one. They don't look particularly attractive either.

The one thing you may want to consider is the 'economy' of a Golf is now diminishing, as Diesel is getting too expensive (and combined with Diesel cars being ~5,000 more than a Petrol one), it will take longer to make the extra cost up.

I'd be tempted to get a Top Of the Line Petrol Golf/Focus, and not worry about fuel prices. (But I do drive a V8, so I can't talk).

I agree with Paxton.
I've been in the market for about 6 months and I do a lot of groundwork when outlaying a large wad of my hard-earned.
I feel that any savings made on hybrids and deisel are null and void for the first 5 years due to the higher initial purchase price.
I'll be getting a Golf GTi but was whisker close to the XR5.
Stay under 6 cyl's, buy petrol on a Tuesday with a supermarket discount voucher/card, drive like a chauffer and keep the heavy right foot for those special occasions.

recd
11th June 2008, 12:11 PM
Have you looked at a Prius hybrid. Just drove mine to Coffs Harbour and back. Had 2 sets of dive gear, including 4 tanks. Using cruise control, air conditioning etc and according to the trip computer used 4.7 litres of unleaded per 100 km.

scruffie
11th June 2008, 12:35 PM
I feel that any savings made on hybrids and deisel are null and void for the first 5 years due to the higher initial purchase price.

Totally agree. I had a choice of renting a toyota corolla and a toyota prius. I chose the prius despite the higher daily rate because it paid off at the end when i had to fill up the tank before handing back the keys. If you are able to get around the initial costs it would work out well.

I guess the only way to get around it is to consider buying 2nd hand diesels and hybrids. A quick squiz on drive.com.au has 2nd hand priuseseses (?) going for about 23k. If i had a choice about my poison, i'd probably go for the hybrid. Just remember that the older models don't come with ESP so that will affect its safety credentials somewhat.

arkenstone
11th June 2008, 12:53 PM
Have you looked at a Prius hybrid. Just drove mine to Coffs Harbour and back. Had 2 sets of dive gear, including 4 tanks. Using cruise control, air conditioning etc and according to the trip computer used 4.7 litres of unleaded per 100 km.

Jesus. I get about 20L/100km around town and not toooo much better on the highway.

That's awesome.

Still a girls car though!

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Taezar
11th June 2008, 01:29 PM
You ROCK MacTalk!!!
A few models I hadn't even thought about!
I like Diesel for more than fuel efficiency. You see at 100,000km the engine is still pretty pristine, whereas with a petrol car it is time to sell while you still can - or so my male friends tell me. I also find Diesel vehicles don't chug through the litres.
Anyhoo - this has been brilliant! My in person male friends are 100% convinced they know best but it is highly subjective - so this has been perfect for me.
Going to check out the Skoda, Golf, Peugot and recheck out the prius again - I test drove one when I bought my last car and felt it had no guts - and I live in Spring Hill - very steep hills and it was shitting itself trying to reverse up the hills or starting on a steep incline. I looked at i30 and wasn't that into it - so thanks for verifying my initial thoughts.
Keep it coming and I will keep you all up to date with how it goes.
Cheers
Tae

Paxton
11th June 2008, 02:48 PM
Don't get a Hybrid.

They serve no purpose what so ever. If you are worried about the 100,000 KM petrol problem, the Prius has a boot full of batteries which will be useless in less than 100,000 KMs. The Batteries are ~$5500 to replace, and are not good for the environment once disposed of.

If you want economy and Diesel, you can't go past a Diesel Golf or Focus. Golf if you can't drive a manual.

micaros
11th June 2008, 03:12 PM
Another 2cents worth from me...

In case you haven't come across them already, some useful websites for research (apologies if this is doubling up on what you already know).

Safety... (Definitely Airbags, ABS and ESP are a must! A very big recommendation side/curtain airbags too)
How safe is your car? Vehicle safety ratings & car crash data (http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/)

Fuel Consumption (and also Environment)...
Post 2003 Models
http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/
1986-2003 Models
Fuel Consumption Guide Database 1986-2003 (http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/transport/fuelguide/)

Also, I'd add to any support for the diesel Pugs/VWs/Focus. Have had two Pugs in the family with 150,000ks plus in a few years and they've been great (early model 307 was a bit lemon-coloured at times, but all that was sorted out under warranty anyway, now it is fine - apparently just an issue with that model). Can't personally speak for experience with the Skoda or Hyundai, but would suggest both are definitely worth looking at as both companies are making big moves on quality (vs old reputations) and are good on price.

Although there is a big differential in diesel vs petrol prices at the moment, the gap hasn't always been so large. Not sure if this is a permanent trend or not (generally, Diesel remains cheaper than petrol in Europe). You could also look at using biodiesel. Some would suggest that some cars are more suited to it than others.

Secondhand diesel models can be harder to find, but the price differential is generally less than for a new car (based on random personal experience, not lots of research or anything).

Sites like RedBook (Red Book AU : Your site for New and Used vehicle prices (http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/)) can be useful for getting some idea of prices for secondhand cars (and even for another source of info on how cars have held their value in the past), although sometimes I seem to think their numbers are a bit off the mark.

Personally, I reckon resale value shouldn't be too bit a problem for a fuel efficient car given general trends (unless it, you know, falls apart).

Enough rambling, good luck! :)

benb
11th June 2008, 03:15 PM
I can highly recommend the Golf diesels. Excellent cars all round. Also the semi-automatic transmission (what VW call DSG or Direct Shift Gearbox) is simply brilliant.

I know when I can get a job here I'll be looking directly at the Golf GT Sport. I like wolves in sheep's clothing.I have a GT Sport 2.0 Tdi with DSG. I really enjoy driving this car :D

Kuma
11th June 2008, 05:50 PM
Don't get a Hybrid.

They serve no purpose what so ever. If you are worried about the 100,000 KM petrol problem, the Prius has a boot full of batteries which will be useless in less than 100,000 KMs. The Batteries are ~$5500 to replace, and are not good for the environment once disposed of.

If you want economy and Diesel, you can't go past a Diesel Golf or Focus. Golf if you can't drive a manual.

with the exception of the recommendation of vehicles.. only cause I love the xtrail...
I agree.. hybrids are a con played on the environmental lot...

oooh I drive a hybrid.... im good for the environment...

leaving alone paxton's analysis of the batteries at 100k mark...
there is also the massive carbon footprint required to produce these cars....

when I go home I will find the article.. but I believe hybrids carbon footprint is massive.

tempestas
12th June 2008, 08:35 PM
The other thing that might be worth considering is small twin cab utes with diesel, some like Hilux/Triton/Bravo/Courier, can offer a good compromise between luggage and passenger space.

That said I've heard the Golf TDi's are the go for a great diesel passenger car. Also worth remembering that diesel has more chance of having a sustainable oil crop replacement fuel as well as bio-diesel, and other alternatives down the track

sanjay
12th June 2008, 09:08 PM
yeah im puzzled as to why you want a diesel. sounds to me like you only want a diesel because youve gobbled up all the hyperbole about how uber wicked awesome they are on fuel.

consider the price difference at the pump before making the plunge. im far from convinced.

if you were really all about reducing your fuel costs, go grab a falcon on (factory) LPG :)

PS - i LOVE car shopping, im still in my teenage years and have bought/sold 5 cars since getting my licence - the feeling of a different car is pretty awesome :D

but if you were really seriously intent on a diesel (i strongly disagree with your comments based on how a diesel at 100,000km will fare against a petrol at 100,000km - so many variables to take into account that a straight comparo is unfair) and dont want a big, bulking, heaving mass of an SUV, the golf is hard to beat.

skodas might look nice and everyone raves about them but do you know anyone who has actually bought one? think about what their resale value is going to be like. just because they share VW internals doesnt mean they share a VW badge.

Dante Kyar
12th June 2008, 09:11 PM
I haven't bothered reading the posts, but just so u know, the fumes that do actually get into the car are actually carcinogenic. Although everything seems to be these days, so your call.

My source is a cancer specialist family friend who is the head of research for a major pharmaceutical company in the USA.

decryption
12th June 2008, 09:30 PM
Anyone got a recommendation for a car like the Golf that can fit a big guy in it? It's time I bought a car soon and feel most comfortable driving something like a Falcon or Commodore - everything else is too small or cramped for my liking :(

Doobsy
12th June 2008, 09:34 PM
Anyone got a recommendation for a car like the Golf that can fit a big guy in it? It's time I bought a car soon and feel most comfortable driving something like a Falcon or Commodore - everything else is too small or cramped for my liking :(

How big?
I'm 186cm and pushing 100kg and the Golf is very comfortable.
I also sat in the XR6 and the XR5 and the focus has better seats, especially in terms of upper-leg support.

sanjay
12th June 2008, 09:45 PM

youd be surprised how big, lardy and fat new 'small-medium' cars have gotten recently. blame cheap oil in the 1990s for manufacturers constantly upping the size of cars (oh, and safety legislation :p)

decryption
12th June 2008, 09:47 PM
How big?
I'm 186cm and pushing 100kg and the Golf is very comfortable.
I also sat in the XR6 and the XR5 and the focus has better seats, especially in terms of upper-leg support.

Yeah? I'm about the same size, hmmm. I've been in a 2000 Camry driving and thought I could do with a bit more space.

Doobsy
12th June 2008, 10:12 PM
I had a '97 Fairmont for a few years and it was very comfortable but it's definitely a family car.
depends what you need it for and how many people you you carry most of the time.
I like the 'cockpit' feel when I'm driving so I like bucket seats with a lot of support.
As I said, the golf and the focus are comfortable for me and suit any travel/space requirements.
(The golf won out due to the XR5's exhaust encroaching on boot-space).
Have some fun.
Spend a weekend test-driving.
If you can get away with a smaller, more-efficient number, I'd always recommend going that way.
(and both the GTi and the XR5 FLYYYYY!) :D :thumbup:

Kuma
12th June 2008, 10:49 PM
yeah im puzzled as to why you want a diesel.

diesels are great....
frugal running...
new diesels are clean.
the engines last for ever... and can easily run on alternate fuels.

if I could have bought a diesel I would have....

lurka
12th June 2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah? I'm about the same size, hmmm. I've been in a 2000 Camry driving and thought I could do with a bit more space.

Try a new lancer....... 5 / 10 yr warranty, 7 air bags, economical.......

Pick of the board for small cars in that price range.

leon
12th June 2008, 11:00 PM

I'm 6'1 and when I sat in a family friends Golf GTi there was heaps of room. I'd try a Golf before knocking it off your list. My brother-in-law has a new XR6 Turbo and it doens't really have that much more room for the driver than the Golf does. Even my sisters new Corolla is pretty roomy as well.

cosmichobo
12th June 2008, 11:33 PM

:rolleyes: Was gonna suggest a Camry... :eek: God did I just say that?

Definitely don't get a Nissan 280zx... or any pre 90's Z for that matter - great for people like me that are 5'4 and 65kg... bad for tall people...

The Camry feels huge compared to it... maybe not that huge though it seems.

kim jong il
13th June 2008, 12:58 AM
yeah im puzzled as to why you want a diesel. sounds to me like you only want a diesel because youve gobbled up all the hyperbole about how uber wicked awesome they are on fuel.

consider the price difference at the pump before making the plunge. im far from convinced.

if you were really all about reducing your fuel costs, go grab a falcon on (factory) LPG :)

It's always worthwhile actually answering what the post asked rather than interpreting what you think she meant (read the bold text as a sentence). ;)
I want something safe (lots of motorway travel against the traffic) and fuel efficient. Brand isn't important, but reliability and fuel efficiency is...

Just assuming, for the sake of the argument, that I am intellectually limited I'd like a clear explanation how a Falcon that uses up to 3 times the amount of fuel is more efficient?

Abaddon
13th June 2008, 01:34 AM
mmm.......do we need a "What car do MacTalkers drive thread?". :)

For those considering any of the more spirited cars (Golf GTi etc,) don't forget they run best (and some models only) on premium unleaded, which adds 10c per litre over regular unleaded. This brings the differential between petrol and diesel down somewhat, but I agree that diesel is looking too expensive these days (which is just nuts).

Taezar, if you're looking for something out of left field, how about a Volvo C30. There is the 2.4i which is a 5 cylinder 125kW powered car, or if the budget stretches to it you can get the T5, turbocharged model (169kW). It's a hatchback with a reasonable load carrying capacity. And a back end you either love or hate.

Paxton
13th June 2008, 01:55 PM
Anthony - look at a Magna/380.

If you want the size, but decent fuel economy, you can't walk past them. They are a phenomenally better car than the Camry, and are as frugal as a Corolla. My Mother got more than 850 KMs to a tank every time, and that was usually Sydney driving. I've gotten over 1,000 on the freeway out of its tank.

The best thing about a Magna is that they are worth very little, but are a quality car that won't cost an arm and a leg. Find one with the 5 Speed Auto, and you will be set.

Taezar
13th June 2008, 10:19 PM
Update!
07/07 LT Focus TDCi Hatch Demo
- Tonic in colour (the colour I want)
- 6 spd manual
- Safety Pack
- s/n 179731
- $24,990 Drive Away
Going to see if I can get it down to $20k tomorrow if I like it after a test drive!
I went car exploring this afternoon - the knowledge and experiences you shared made all the difference - THANKYOU!
Will keep you updated.
Tae

vortex_
13th June 2008, 11:35 PM
Update!
07/07 LT Focus TDCi Hatch Demo
- Tonic in colour (the colour I want)
- 6 spd manual
- Safety Pack
- s/n 179731
- $24,990 Drive Away
Going to see if I can get it down to $20k tomorrow if I like it after a test drive!
I went car exploring this afternoon - the knowledge and experiences you shared made all the difference - THANKYOU!
Will keep you updated.
Tae

Good Luck. They wont want to budge $90 let alone $4000...

kit
14th June 2008, 01:10 AM

I'm 196cm and the Golf was too small for me. I ended up buying a 2007 Honda Civic which is very comfortably sized for a smaller car. The roof is high (in the front seats) and the driver's seat is fully adjustable. The steering wheel can also be moved (but that seems to be pretty standard these days).

With tall guys, though; really, really worth looking at visibility issues in smaller cars when it comes to traffic lights when you're the first car in the line; I have to crouch to see the traffic lights across the street in the Civic.

I have the same issue with the driver's side A-pillar getting in the road when I'm checking for a clear right-hand turn.

Taezar
14th June 2008, 10:20 PM
Got them down to $22,900.
Going to keep pushing.

sanjay
16th June 2008, 01:07 AM
It's always worthwhile actually answering what the post asked rather than interpreting what you think she meant (read the bold text as a sentence). ;)

Just assuming, for the sake of the argument, that I am intellectually limited I'd like a clear explanation how a Falcon that uses up to 3 times the amount of fuel is more efficient?

people dont care how much volume of fuel their car uses, as long as they end up paying less at the pump. LPG might use up to 3 times the amount of LPG as a diesel car uses diesel, but at 2/5ths of the price of diesel she wont be paying much more to travel similar distances. and it'll be in a nice, big car.

Taezar, the focus TDCi is a great choice, and im amazed you managed to get the price down as far as you have! keep pushing at your peril, they could easily sell it tomorrow for $23,000 IMO, considering their runout focus CL petrol models are selling like hotcakes at around $20,000...maybe settle for $22,000 :D (it is nearly the end of financial year, after all)

tempestas
16th June 2008, 06:58 AM
Decryption the best bet is to try a car out. I had a tall hefty friend who felt the Honda Jazz provided all the space he needed. Even just siting in one may be enough.

As an chunky (but not tall at 173cm) I even found a 72 mini had plenty of room for the driver. Its about what you feel comfortable in.

Well shaped and organised seats and ergonomics make a huge difference. You should sit in not on a car seat in an upright well supported position.

Taezar
13th July 2008, 09:38 PM
Say hello to my new car!
Finally got what I wanted for a price I am happy with.
I get delivery either Thursday or Friday afterwork.
WHEEE
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/Reymi/DSC00588.jpg

Reubania
13th July 2008, 09:50 PM
Have you named it yet? ;)

Congrats mate. :thumbup:

Taezar
13th July 2008, 11:10 PM
I am thinking Spot - but am open to suggestions

tempestas
14th July 2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats and glad the forum was useful.

Now all you need is the full iPod/iPhone connection and a picture

Taezar
14th July 2008, 12:40 PM
Congrats and glad the forum was useful.

Now all you need is the full iPod/iPhone connection and a picture

it has a special jack for the ipod - but no no iphone for this little black duck yet

delux
14th July 2008, 02:12 PM
Congratulations. It sounds like you got a great deal.