PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2+ or Cable?

stefanlod
10th June 2008, 09:14 AM
For the past while, I've been thinking about changing my Internet over from BigPond cable to an ADSL2+ plan of some sort. Now I can look around for prices, but what I'm interested in here is speed.

Using TPG's coverage map, I've found that I'm just a bit under 500m from my nearest exchange, so 2 things:

What speeds could I get on ADSL2+ from that distance
How would these compare with *standard* (fast cable is too bloody expensive) cable plans offered by Telstra?

Much appreciated for anyone who can help!

Rasta
10th June 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm with TPG, about 900m from the exchange and on speedtest.net I can get 16,000kbp/s download and 800kbp/s upload...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/282009350.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

EDIT: just did this now via my MBA wireless, and got this.. I tend to get it like this during the day, faster at night.. :)

soadaholic
10th June 2008, 09:20 AM
If your 500m from the exchange (and the cable length is the same) you'd be silly to get cable. ADSL2+ is cheaper and you will get great speeds at that distance!

Rasta: I find that speed test to be very unreliable! ozspeedtest is better I think.

lazydesi
10th June 2008, 09:20 AM
i am just 460m from my exchange and i am getting solid 15.3 Mbps ,

Its all depends upon your noise level, good phone wiring, no of equipments connected to ph sockets e.t.c

Brains
10th June 2008, 09:30 AM
DSL speed will be very dependent not only on your cable length, but the condition of your phone line and the brand of modem you use.

Our house is 1931 metres cable-run from our exchange, our Netgear DG834v1 modem maxes out at a solid and reliable 15.1M down (which is pretty damned amazing for a three year old unit!), an old D-Link manages a problematic 8M, and the newest modem of the lot, a Billion 7402, can't get more than 6M down.

Just be aware that if you go over the quota stipulated by your plan, you will be shaped down to 64k, barely better than dialup.

stefanlod
10th June 2008, 10:25 AM
Oh good to know! I've found plans that offer double the usage I'm on now for $10 less per month! Why did I not go shopping around like this before? :rolleyes:

soadaholic
10th June 2008, 10:29 AM
Just be aware that if you go over the quota stipulated by your plan, you will be shaped down to 64k, barely better than dialup.

Not always my good sir. I have signed up with TPG's Voip plan (without buying a 200 wireless voip modem from TPG) and I get shaped to a super fast 128K!!!

Currawong
10th June 2008, 10:29 AM
I've noticed a lot of people who, say, moved from Internode to TPG because of the greater downloads available ended up regretting it as the reliability and support was nowhere near what Internode's is. So beware while plans may look great, if the ISP isn't great, then the extra quota wont be worth it.

Phase
10th June 2008, 10:30 AM
Just be very, very confident with your decision.

I was on Bigpond ADSL, went to TPG 2, and went through 3 weeks of disconnections, 3 technician call outs, isolation tests, and in the end called in the Industry Ombudsmen after spending 14 hours total on the phone with undoubtably the worst customer service reps in the industry.

Telstra offered us a 'please come back' deal, and we now have Cable Extreme cheaper than our old plan.

Zero disconnections, Zero downtime.

Phase
10th June 2008, 10:31 AM
I've noticed a lot of people who, say, moved from Internode to TPG because of the greater downloads available ended up regretting it as the reliability and support was nowhere near what Internode's is. So beware while plans may look great, if the ISP isn't great, then the extra quota wont be worth it.

Quoted for truth, and a 'I didn't think it would happen to me, but'.

stefanlod
10th June 2008, 10:42 AM
Okay... I guess I might shop around whirlpool and see what people are saying. Internode is ranked #1 for people to be using.. They offer twice the usage on ADSL2+ for the same price I'm paying now. Also, data blocks look like a good idea - I've wanted such a facility on many occasions.

gumby08
10th June 2008, 10:52 AM
I switched from Bigpond ADSL to Internode ADSL2+ in April this year and couldn't be happier. Went from speeds of around 1.3 Mbps to 8 Mbps, more than twice the quota and heaps cheaper. And the service is excellent! :D

soadaholic
10th June 2008, 11:39 AM

I was with internode for 3 years and loved them, but after they jacked up my plan and I was moving house, I went with TPG and have never looked back.

If you know how to fix common problems and dont mind comunicating on thier forums, then TPG are great... just dont ring on the phone and expect excellent help (its all just scripted replys)

Anyways, thinking about it now I had far more problems with internode (Had crazy drop outs for about 6 weeks, like 50+ a day) than I have had with TPG but have only been with TPG for 6 months now.

50 bucks for 30 gigs, ADSL2+, Voip and shaping to 128K. SSWWEEEETTTT!!!

Rasta
10th June 2008, 12:07 PM
Everyone throws shit on TPG, but I've been with them 18 months and have had absolutely no problems with them, their service or the network they provide.

I guess some have problems, and perhaps its region specific, but they've been good to me in Brisbane and I will continue to use them.

:thumbup:

stefanlod
10th June 2008, 02:41 PM
Okay I think the general consensus is that I'm better off with ADSL2+ (thanks for the input!). Now for the next thing - modems.

I've already got myself a Time Capsule that connects through its WAN port to my cable modem. I don't need a modem that doubles as a router - it just needs to connect and give me good upload and download performance.

Any suggestions?

Brains
11th June 2008, 12:01 AM
Netgear DG834, best-priced Broadcom-based DSL2+ modem on the market today, with an uncanny knack of being able to get stable and above-all fast connections over some of the most questionable copper pairings in Telstra-land. About $80 if you hunt around. Put it into bridge-mode to disable its built-n router stuff, feed one piece of cat5 between it and your TimeCapsule and Bob's your auntie's liv-in-lover :D