PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Combo drive upgrade?

zulu
6th April 2005, 11:19 AM
The Combo drive on my G4 Titanium 500 has just given up the ghost and I was looking for information on instaling a DVD burner to replace it - are there any compatible models out there and where the hell do I access one in Sydney?

Cheers!

Have found a Panasonic slot loader - any ideas?

Edge
6th April 2005, 11:50 AM
The Pioneer DVRK04 is the one to look out for. Either that or the Matshita (Panasonic) UJ-835. The Matshita should work natively but the Pioneer has higher ratings and does DL. Google them.

madmacs
6th April 2005, 12:10 PM
Some Pioneer drives have an IDE setting of 'slave' rather than 'master' in the firmware and have compatibility issues being installed in the Powerbooks. Sounds like the Panasonic ones have a better 'compatibility' rating.

Check out www.macsales.com or www.xlr8yourmac.com's drive database.

I haven't found an Australian source yet.

PS. I thought the Ti400/500 (Mercury) comes with DVD-ROM drives only. If you don't have a CDRW to start with, you need a bracket for the Ti400/500 series for the CDRW or DVD writer to fit.

JimWOz
6th April 2005, 01:44 PM
Guys, I posted on 29 March looking for any known sources for a Matshita UJ-845.
Only drew 1 reply.
I think Edge is slightly out of date, the current PB's have UJ-845's which do DL, like the Pioneer drive.
I concur with MadMacs about the compatibility, visit xlr8yourmac and see for yourself.
There is another problem though. The Matshita drives appear to be getting a bagging on the forums at Macfixit due to slow burn speeds. It seems none of them get near the ratings. Excuse given is the media brands being used.
I'm sitting waiting to see if this clears up before upgrading my PB G4 1.5GHz, but if someone KNOWS where to get bare Matshita drives in Oz, I'd like to know. Note the Panasonic Oz web site only shows a UJ-835 model, behind the times.