PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Minis

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 04:53 PM
When the hell is Apple going to update the beloved Mac Mini? It's been more than 300 days since their last refresh. Is this Apple's subtle way of eliminating it from their repertoire?

bennyling
8th June 2008, 05:00 PM
No, it's not.

It's been over 4 years since they updated their Cinema Displays - does this mean that Apple are about to kill them off?

No.

Huy
8th June 2008, 05:01 PM
Seems like you are trying to reach that '100 posts' mark. ;)

They will update when they are ready. And they are not killing it off.

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, what is with that anyway? Still having 14ms response time monitors and being so incredibly pricey.

bennyling
8th June 2008, 05:03 PM
Seems like you are trying to reach that '100 posts' mark. ;)

It's 100 posts, or 60 days, whichever comes LAST.

Edit: although, ammassing the number of posts that you have will be extremely difficult indeed

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 05:07 PM
:P I'm not 'trying' to reach 100 posts. These are genuine topics guys:) And btw, bennyling, why do you persist in attempting to make out that the iMacs use mobile cards? They don't. I've seen the card within.

meinrosebud
8th June 2008, 05:10 PM
Lovely new mentally fast Core2Duo CPU, with a larger chunk of RAM & a whacking bag hard drive stuffed into that little case... go ahead Apple make me smile!!!

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 05:17 PM
Nah, go CORE2QUAD!!!

meinrosebud
8th June 2008, 05:19 PM
Nah, go CORE2QUAD!!!

Woo hoo... pity about the heat!! Bugger it, let us go intel Apple cube!

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 05:26 PM
Hell yeah. What'd make my day is for the new iMac and MP revisions to have:

iMac: Intel Core2Quad, Nvidia 9600GT for top end 20" and standard for 24", bto for 9800GTX.
Mac Pro: Faster 8 core Xeon standard, 9600GTS standard, 9800GX2 for upgrade. That'll be the day. (Of course 9600m GT for MBP).

thebag
8th June 2008, 05:26 PM
Forget the mini,

I reckon something between a Mini and a Pro,

Small user friendly upgradeable tower,

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

bennyling
8th June 2008, 05:28 PM
:P I'm not 'trying' to reach 100 posts. These are genuine topics guys:) And btw, bennyling, why do you persist in attempting to make out that the iMacs use mobile cards? They don't. I've seen the card within.

Oh really?

Is iMacs "8800GS" really the 8800GT? - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=493628)

Just because you've seen the card within doesn't make you right ;) Apple sure as hell have got Intel to make a custom processor for them before, why not a custom graphics card size?

But anyway, here's an Apple Support thread on updating the drivers for your graphics card:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Gaming performance with 8800GS on ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7326625)

mactalkuser8282
8th June 2008, 05:30 PM
Mac Mini's are great. My very first mac was a MacMini. It is still serving me well but I would really like to get one with an intel chips and wireless N

aswitcher
8th June 2008, 05:32 PM
Mini should be slightly bumped and have a big price drop.

MacEmpathy
8th June 2008, 05:36 PM
Oh really?

Is iMacs "8800GS" really the 8800GT? - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=493628)

Just because you've seen the card within doesn't make you right ;) Apple sure as hell have got Intel to make a custom processor for them before, why not a custom graphics card size?

But anyway, here's an Apple Support thread on updating the drivers for your graphics card:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Gaming performance with 8800GS on ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7326625)

Ok, then. Is that why printed on the card itself under the heat sink there is printed 'NVidia GeForce 8800 GT'. Anyway, wouldn't mobile drivers underclock it? Also, Apple's basic hardware check identifies it as an 8800GT, not a 8800M GTX, which has even lower clock frequencies than a GS.

sanjay
8th June 2008, 05:44 PM
screw the mac mini, we need a "IntelMac C2Q" tower.

still waiting...

bennyling
8th June 2008, 05:48 PM
Ok, then. Is that why printed on the card itself under the heat sink there is printed 'NVidia GeForce 8800 GT'.

If the manufacturer of the graphics card itself can make a non-standard graphics card size, I'm sure that they could manage to print something different on the chip, just for kicks.

More linkage:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Can't update nVidia 8800 GS on iMac... ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7328289)

techPowerUp GPU-Z Validation 43pxg (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/43pxg/)

The G92 M on that second link? M is for Mobile!

Search the DeviceID: 10DE - 0609 and you get:

X.Org PCI device/driver list (http://www.calel.org/pci-devices/xorg-device-list.html)

where it says:
GeForce 8800M GTS 10de:0609 nvidia

Again, M is for Mobile!

Anyway, wouldn't mobile drivers underclock it?

You tell me... *shrugs* :rolleyes:

Brains
8th June 2008, 05:57 PM
I reckon the Mini will get its revamp shortly; it will use one of the newer C2Ds and the case will change to match the TimeCapsule, AEBS and ATV form factor. The chances of Apple bringing out a baby Mac Pro or a "super Mini" with a normal PCI-E slot is essentially nil ... as much as we'd all love one.

Huy
8th June 2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with newer C2Ds e.g. 2.1 and 2.4GHz like the MacBooks.

New form factor would be quite sexy... I would buy one if I didn't have this iMac already. (And then I'd need a Dell 24" ;)) :)

Rasta
8th June 2008, 05:59 PM
I reckon the Mini will get its revamp shortly; it will use one of the newer C2Ds and the case will change to match the TimeCapsule, AEBS and ATV form factor. The chances of Apple bringing out a baby Mac Pro or a "super Mini" with a normal PCI-E slot is essentially nil ... as much as we'd all love one.

I agree 100% with this and is the reason I've been hanging back waiting for the new mini's with speed bump and asthetics improvement.

:)

gareth
8th June 2008, 06:14 PM
whats wrong with the current ones ?

Rasta
8th June 2008, 06:15 PM
I want 'n' wireless and some decent speed..

There ya go! :p

Huy
8th June 2008, 06:25 PM
iMac, Rasta? :D

sanjay
8th June 2008, 06:32 PM
whats wrong with the current ones ?

theyre using T5*** series processors and are as such now 2 years old, ripe for an upgrade.

as per brains, the mac mini could do with a visual refresh too :)

Rasta
8th June 2008, 06:33 PM
iMac, Rasta? :D

Nah.. want a mini as a HTPC... :)

skip
8th June 2008, 06:38 PM
My 1.87 (I think) Core Duo Mini works well as a media PC...nicely hooked up to my 1920x1080 tv. I use it for surfing and video editing too, but it does get bogged down a bit when I push it. I wouldn't mind a newer one, but Apple's pricing (even edu) pushes it too close to an iMac...the value for money really isn't there at the moment.

I don't know why they don't upgrade them to MacBook specs...it's now at least two revisions behind the MB (I think).

Personally, I'd like n wireless, higher max ram, 2gb standard ram (not likely though), a better gfx card (even if it's *still* integrated, bleugh) and an iPod dock on the top. A price drop of at least $100 per model would be welcome too. And please bin the combo drives...I really don't know why they still have them except to artificially differentiate between models (that goes for the MB too). :confused:

I still love the look of them with the alu sides+white top.

TheKeddi
8th June 2008, 06:51 PM
Yep! as soon as they upgrade them I will be up for one,

My first mac was a mini, I just love the little things!