PDA

View Full Version : Acessing a computer without bluetooth

jimmy
5th April 2005, 04:04 PM
Hey guys got my dad got his Imac G5 back from apple, the logic board was stuffed. Went t to restart but the blue tooth doesn't work and we can't type in the password. Any suggestions.

Cheers

Jimmy

snax
5th April 2005, 04:16 PM
This is why you should always have a wired keyboard and mouse handy. Go pick up a cheapie USB one from Dick Smith.

Also, maybe it is the batteries in the keyboard? (Though they last months).

jimmy
5th April 2005, 04:17 PM
Further to first message - the existing bluetooth keyboard & mouse are not paired with replacement board ... solution offerred so far is to get hardwired mouse & keyboard so can get into iMac to do bluetooth pairings, ... you gota be kidding why have bluetooth gear if you need hard wired for back up? Gotta be a better solution?

jerrah
5th April 2005, 04:18 PM
How cheap is a Dick Smith cheapie?

I got my genuine Apple (wired) keyboard cheap enough to not warrant shopping elsewhere. :D

[Jimmy] That's just how bluetooth works... Otherwise someone in the next room with a bluetooth keyboard could start typing away on your screen. How did you set it up in the first instance?

mbd
5th April 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by jimmy@Apr 5 2005, 04:17 PM
why have bluetooth gear if you need hard wired for back up? Gotta be a better solution?
Have you tried called Apple Support to see what they say? 133-622

zeddie2001
5th April 2005, 04:22 PM
I thought you needed a wired KB and Mouse for installing MacOs X anyway? Any cheap USB KB will do. Surely you can spare $30. Usefull for times that you don't have any spare batteries as well.

sikosis
5th April 2005, 04:47 PM
When you bought the iMac ... didn't you get the wired keyboard/mouse as well as the bluetooth ones ?

I was told if I bought the bluetooth kit, I would have both and I thought ... I'll just go wired then.

macmate
5th April 2005, 05:19 PM
i have a feeling that the replaced the midplane board doesn't have a bluetooth adapter on it. when ordering the replacement you have to specify that you want the one with bluetooth if they forgot then you don't have bluetooth anymore.

another thing, you don't need a wired keyboard and mouse to install os x. pairing info is not kept in the software its a little rom meaning as long as its the same keyboard and mouse as was paired it will work. if there is no keyboard or mouse connected os x will actually ask you if you want to search for discoverable keyboard or mouse (no sure if this is the case when bluetooth is off).

also, no you don't get both with the computer. what the sales person was doing was giving you one from out the back (standard) and just giving you a wirless keyboard and mouse off the shelf to try to make the sale OR he had no idea what he was on about.

Ric

snax
5th April 2005, 05:51 PM
I can't believe they don't give you both. There are times when you need a USB keyboard, and the above example is just one of them. What is gonna happen to these poor users when they do a clean install of Tiger?

Rayd
5th April 2005, 06:18 PM
check if the bluetooth is there by using the serch function of a mobile.

Flinders1231
5th April 2005, 07:51 PM
What Macman says it quite correct & whatever you do to your Mac ... it is meant to search out your bluetooth devices 1st up if you do something dramatic to your hardware that interferes with pairing. If this fails you need to disconnect all devices turn off Mac & then disconnect power cord for 30 seconds - also need to take batteries from bluetooth devices & have them disconnected from power source for at least ten seconds, ... then put power (only) to Mac - reinstall batteries & try re-boot. If you fail to get message on boot up that Mac wants to search for bluetooth devices last hope is getting non bluetooth KB & mouse so you can then access System preferences to get your bluetooth devices "manually" paired. Its actually a bit messy - so your USB KB & Mouse is better, less complicated, ... & saves you heaps in battery costs! ;-)

macmate
5th April 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by snax@Apr 5 2005, 05:51 PM
I can't believe they don't give you both. There are times when you need a USB keyboard, and the above example is just one of them. What is gonna happen to these poor users when they do a clean install of Tiger?
snax - like i said the os recognises it. there will not be issues with it at all. the install cd has the drivers. the setup assistance also has a built in BT setup assistance.

i think that he really needs to check if there is BT on his logic board. it wouldn't be the first time its happened. if you want private me and i will give you a diagram of where the bluetooth is found so you can open it up (three screws, very easy to do) and check if its there.

Ric

Ronin+Scissors
5th April 2005, 08:30 PM
Isn't it more likely that the chip that holds BT info was on the old logic board that was replaced, hence there are no pairings? Buy/Beg/Borrow a USB keyboard.

EDIT: Or is said chip on the BT 'card-ish thingy'?

macmate
5th April 2005, 08:46 PM
thats right the pairing is lost with the old logic/BT chip. but the os will ask you for a pairing if it finds no keyboad attached(it assumes you must be using a wireless keyboard).

Ric

Edd
31st October 2005, 03:09 PM
Another reason apple wireless keyboards should be able to be connected with a USB A to B cable. ;)

The Architect.mac
31st October 2005, 04:57 PM
Agree with Macmate

OSX Bluetooth Setup Assistant will seek out Bluetooth input devices if no USB input devices are present on boot.

This is how you can buy a new mac with BTO BT KB&M and set it up from first boot with said BT input devices.

Time to check they put BT and WiFi back into your Mac!

Also - You get what you order never 2 sets for price of 1!

Edd - That would only be handy if it recharged the keyboard over USB2 as well

Cheers ;)