PDA

View Full Version : OSX won't recognise my music CD??????

Moose
5th April 2005, 01:14 PM
Help! I have purchased a new CD (Missy Higgins) and it is not being recognised by my mac. It worked in the car and is being read by my PC. I even swapped the CD drive with my PC thinking that would work, but no luck.

Is the disk in a format that OSX won’t recognise?

Is the disk write protected, though it worked on PC?

Am I jinxed?

Thanks,

MOOSE :(

p53
5th April 2005, 01:50 PM
I had some trouble getting my PB to recognise my Missy Higgins CD as well (I have the LP). I can't remember how I eventually got it working, if I did at all. Out of about 50 CDs, I have had to import 2 onto my PC then transfer them to my PB. I don't know why. Interestingly though, my dad's Titanium PB was able to recognise the CDs without any trouble.

sikosis
5th April 2005, 03:31 PM
I've got an EBTG CD "Like the deserts miss the rain" ... it won't read on my mac, so I ripped it on a PC.

My gf has that Missy CD, I'll try it when I get home (after the ADC ;) )

doughnut
5th April 2005, 03:31 PM
Does the CD have any copy protection schemes on it? Perhaps that could be the culprit.

Chr1s
5th April 2005, 03:36 PM
I think the most important question here is: What are you all doing buying Missy Higgins CD's?!

jerrah
5th April 2005, 03:46 PM
Some CD's come purposely corrupted so they cannot be read in computers. Apparently cd players have error correction which can get past the errors and play the audio.

That said - the discs also have a low quality track which can be read by Windows Media Player (or if you try to rip it on a pc), but it's only at 32kb/s or something...

Some car manufacturers in europe were having customers complaing that the cd players in the cars were faulty, whereas in fact the cd players complied with the redbook standard but the discs are all messed up.

I'd suspect that's why it can be read in windows pc's and not macs (or linux pc's)... I think I read about this last year on theregister.co.uk or somewhere.

Don't quote me, this information comes with no warranty on its accuracy. ;)

jerrah
5th April 2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10/04/uk..._call_for_anti/ (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10/04/uk_campaigners_call_for_anti/)
http://www.traug.org/un-cd.html

etc...

"Technologies like SafeAudio and Cactus add random noise to the audio data when the CD is mastered. That's certainly a reduction of audio fidelity. When the CD is played back on a standard hi-fi, the player's error correction system eradicates the noise. However, a PC CD drive, which simply transfers the raw data, interprets the noise as corrupt data and declares the disc unreadable."

Squozen
5th April 2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Moose@Apr 5 2005, 01:14 PM
Is the disk write protected, though it worked on PC?
Yes, I'd say the disc is most definitely write-protected. :)

sikosis
5th April 2005, 04:45 PM
The Beastie Boys CD "To the 5 Buroughs" had copy protection ... I'll try that as well. I know on a PC, it prompts you to install something, I'm guessing it won't do that on the Mac :rolleyes:

Well I just tried Missy Higgin's "The Sound of White" CD and nothing, it just sits and spins ... :(

but the Beastie Boys CD, works no worries ... must have been a different form of copy protection. Strange cos fans really got upset over the BB's CD.

Moose
6th April 2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Chr1s@Apr 5 2005, 03:36 PM
I think the most important question here is: What are you all doing buying Missy Higgins CD's?!
My wife wanted it. Really! :unsure:

Yes, I'd say the disc is most definitely write-protected. smile.gif

You know what I meant. Don't you? :rolleyes:

Well I just tried Missy Higgin's "The Sound of White" CD and nothing, it just sits and spins ... sad.gif

Thats the attitude it gives me.

Some CD's come purposely corrupted so they cannot be read in computers. Apparently cd players have error correction which can get past the errors and play the audio.

Jerrah I think you are spot on.

Thanks for your thought everyone.