PDA

View Full Version : External DVD Burner

bernie234
1st June 2008, 12:43 AM
Could I get some advice re which model and make for a USB or firewire external DVD burner

ClockWork
1st June 2008, 06:51 AM
The Hotbuttered 5.25" External (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/opticall/hotbuttered/hb_400plus) CD/DVD/DL DVD Burner is really excellent.

cw

jdub
1st June 2008, 02:10 PM
I just have a Pioneer 110D in an external case. Never had problems with it...the only thing I've had to replace was the power cord.

decryption
1st June 2008, 07:25 PM
Yep, making your own is the best way to go. Pick up an external FireWire 5.25" case, chuck in any DVD-RW drive (they're all expendable, Pioneer and LG seem to be supported by Apple out of the box) and away you go :)

SilverJ
1st June 2008, 07:39 PM
I just did this,
I got a Pioneer burner.
But now it looks like I need a FW hub because I need my external drive to be plugged into the FW800 slot at all times and even though the burner is FW400 it cannot power both at the same time it seems. Even though they are both externally powered.. It can be run via USB as well, but as you know the MBP only has two USB slots and I doubt it would work plugged into the alu keyboard usb slot.

cmjl
3rd June 2008, 12:28 PM
I've been more than happy with my Sony External drive, purchased two years ago now. It's one of the DRX800UL drives with USB and Firewire. Sure, I could have saved a bit by buying my own drive and case and cabling it up but I'm not that way inclined. It also reads and burns disks more reliably than my iMac G5's internal CD/DVD drive.

The Mac software (Toast 6 lite) that it shipped with was more restrictive than the PC software (Nero Lite), which is a shame, but not of great impact to me as I can also use the drive on my PC and the PC software that it shipped with is good enough for most CD/DVD applications.

aafuss
3rd June 2008, 03:27 PM
Could a Sony DRU-710A placed into a external case be used with Toast?

decryption
3rd June 2008, 03:29 PM
Could a Sony DRU-710A placed into a external case be used with Toast?

Sure can :)
It should be able to be used system wide as well, not just in toast.

aafuss
10th June 2008, 06:57 PM
Bought a ASUS DRW-1608P2 for $10-iwhich appears to be a rebadged 110D, which is good.

Will Toast recognize this drive?

jdub
10th June 2008, 10:25 PM
My 110D works with Toast.

[schmick]
10th June 2008, 10:39 PM
The Hotbuttered 5.25" External (http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/opticall/hotbuttered/hb_400plus) CD/DVD/DL DVD Burner is really excellent.

cw

Hey CW,

Any idea who stocks these particular cases and how much?