PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cables

ajbeardy
28th May 2008, 08:29 PM
I am after some short HDMI cables (say half a metre of shorter) but I am having trouble finding any in the Sydney CBD area.

Anybody know of any locations?

Only want short ones to run from an HDMI switch to an Apple TV and a DVD.

Thanks,

AJB

purana
28th May 2008, 08:30 PM
Jaycar... - certainly do have them, various locations around Sydney.

David Reid Electronics (in York Street Sydney) - may have them.

alan7948
28th May 2008, 08:31 PM
hdmi cables are REALLY expensive......

i would just get them off ebay as they offer Belkin

BELKIN HDMI CABLE 1.2M NEW IN THE BOX!!! - eBay, Accessories, Home Theatre, Electronics. (end time 01-Jun-08 20:39:10 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BELKIN-HDMI-CABLE-1-2M-NEW-IN-THE-BOX_W0QQitemZ220238906650QQihZ012QQcategoryZ109889 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

i would go for belkin because they offer quality.

However i am not too sure of the genuinity

Currawong
28th May 2008, 08:33 PM
I find it a serious problem everywhere finding short cables for things. I ended up cable-tying up a lot of stuff as a result. Some TVs, I noticed, when they arrive, had a funky cable tie that was hooked into a hole in the back of the TV. I use such things for hooking up loose cabling in these situations.

Byrd
28th May 2008, 08:42 PM
Nasty cheap or extremely expensive, all HDMI cables seem to perform the same. Go for the cheapest you can find.

JB

denwol
28th May 2008, 08:44 PM
Definetely go ebay. Most shops completely rip you off with HDMI cables IMO.

Tiprya
28th May 2008, 08:45 PM
Nasty cheap or extremely expensive, all HDMI cables seem to perform the same. Go for the cheapest you can find.

JB

This is true provided they are sufficiently shielded

I personally get the cheapest digital cables I can find that look like their build quality is half decent

ajbeardy
28th May 2008, 08:58 PM
I tried Jaycar today but they smallest they had was 1.5m. Did not go to David Reid but I might try that tomorrow.

Expensive yes, Hardly Normal suggested the Pure AV for $199...I promptly left.

Nightbreed
28th May 2008, 09:05 PM
This site is run by a DTV forum regular. Everyone seems pretty impressed.

50cm = $15 HDMI. Pretty good deal imo

http://www.ezyhd.com

ajbeardy
28th May 2008, 09:12 PM
Great, thanks for that. I have placed an order.

craigd
28th May 2008, 09:41 PM
i got some hdmi cables 20 bucks if anyone wants one

melbmac
28th May 2008, 09:55 PM
I though ugly cables made a shorter one, could be wrong. Could not be bothered looking but I'll point out that their service is top notch, and the cables are really nice (and chunky).

---edit---

Okay, so I was bored. They do have a 50cm HDMI cable.

Linky (http://www.uglycable.com.au/storefrontprofiles/deluxesfitemdetail.aspx?sfid=117033&c=698745&i=240614360)

grfxninja
28th May 2008, 09:55 PM
I find it a serious problem everywhere finding short cables for things.

I had the opposite problem when I bought one for my Apple TV recently. The packet said approximately 2m, but when I got it home, it would have been lucky to have been 1/2 a metre long. When I saw it as being "approximately" 2m, I figured it may only be 1.5m and I only really needed 1m anyway, so it would be fine.
Wasn't impressed, so took it back and the guy said to me 'well it does say "approximately"' and there was nothing I could do. I told him I wanted my money back, but he said not possible because the packaging was all cut/ripped up (you ever tried getting the packaging open without a knife/scissors these days :confused:)

Needless to say, that particular store/chain won't be getting any more of my hard earned :thumbdn:

Tiprya
28th May 2008, 09:59 PM
I had the opposite problem when I bought one for my Apple TV recently. The packet said approximately 2m, but when I got it home, it would have been lucky to have been 1/2 a metre long. When I saw it as being "approximately" 2m, I figured it may only be 1.5m and I only really needed 1m anyway, so it would be fine.
Wasn't impressed, so took it back and the guy said to me 'well it does say "approximately"' and there was nothing I could do. I told him I wanted my money back, but he said not possible because the packaging was all cut/ripped up (you ever tried getting the packaging open without a knife/scissors these days :confused:)

Needless to say, that particular store/chain won't be getting any more of my hard earned :thumbdn:

You can definately get a refund - this is false advertising, threaten them with consumer watchdog or similar

Seriously, I'd almost take pleasure in flaying a retailer over this - you should be able to get some sort of giftcard out of them as well as your money for them effing you around

grfxninja
28th May 2008, 10:02 PM
truth be told, I was in a shitty mood, and just couldn't be stuffed at the time over such a small amount of money. Must admit, it felt good to let them know in no uncertain terms how I felt about their "policy". Wasn't hugely busy at the time, but there were enough people within earshot to get the point :D

Tiprya
28th May 2008, 10:03 PM
truth be told, I was in a shitty mood, and just couldn't be stuffed at the time over such a small amount of money. Must admit, it felt good to let them know in no uncertain terms how I felt about their "policy". Wasn't hugely busy at the time, but there were enough people within earshot to get the point :D

Well that makes me feel better - can't have people completely getting away with this stuff:p

khalil
29th May 2008, 12:12 AM
DealExtreme: $10.22 HDMI M-M Connection Cable 1.8M (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2645) - $10.22USD Delivered

I too am looking to buy a hdmi cable amongst others and deal extreme looks pretty good in terms of price.