PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP

mbd
4th April 2005, 11:20 AM
I've been feeling strong technolust for a sony psp the past couple of weeks... now that sony's gone and delayed the release here (again), I'm thinking about importing one from OS.. Anyone got one yet? Anyone else getting one? Interested to hear any comments/experiences from ppl who've imported them...

I'm looking fwd to trying wipeout pure, and seeing how well it copes with playing videos off the memcard...

purana
4th April 2005, 11:35 AM
A friend of mine has expressed getting one and putting it in his car. I wonder if he will do this.

OziMac
4th April 2005, 11:38 AM
Mark

Apparently www.liksang.com is a good way of getting the PSP here pronto. Unfortunately the use UPS for shipping, so you'll be slapped with shipping AND GST charges, but for a small premium it is possible to get it early. :)

vargz
4th April 2005, 12:30 PM
Any ideas when they are getting released here? The US had their release just last month, so surely we can't be too far away.

c3017474
4th April 2005, 01:18 PM
I was speaking to one of the staff at EB Games the other day and he said its been pushed back to August now. Lets hope the dollar gets stronger by then so they'll be close to the American price.

zefi
4th April 2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but after looking at what the PSP has to offer I'm inclined to go DS. I just like it so damn much!!

OziMac
4th April 2005, 05:47 PM
Hey zefi - the waiting also drove me mad, and the hype surrounding the DS (and having had a play around with it) suckered me in too - been playing Warioware Touched and Mario DS for the last month, and it's heaps of fun!

Others that are looking good are Project Rub and Urbz.

The great thing about Nintendo is they make fun games that are short, sharp and satisfying which is what you want when you're playing games on the move. Not sure I could handle portable PS-style serious gaming like that. :)

Bob
4th April 2005, 05:58 PM
I actually own both the DS and the PSP (having imported it from Japan via eBay).

I have to say that i have spent far more time playing the DS than i have the PSP.

While the graphics on Ridge Racer and Metal Gear Solid are incomperable to anything ever seen from a handheld - there is a huge 'so what' factor that i've encountered with the PSP.

I've spent forever playing the mini games in Mario DS and Warioware. The 'fun factor' on these games kills anything i have encountered so far on the PSP.

Having said that, the quality of the screen on the PSP is unbelievable. You guys should try watching Spiderman 2 on the PSP.

If you were thinking of getting a DVD player for your car, wait until the PSP comes out with a car dock and lighter adapter and iTrip like device - that is a far better option.......the quality of the movie playback is unreal.

As for games, i love the DS' innovative approach to things.

Bob.

Xenex
4th April 2005, 06:37 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Lik-Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/); I imported my DS from them, and the service was great.

I'm also lusting after a PSP (http://xenex.livejournal.com/223645.html), but have fought the urge thus far. I think I can wait out the local release...

mbd
4th April 2005, 06:54 PM
I actually own both the DS and the PSP (having imported it from Japan via eBay).

Always the best option if you can afford it :-).

I have to say that i have spent far more time playing the DS than i have the PSP.

My leaning towards the PSP is based on the release list for games; there's an ice hockey game for PSP but not NDS, there's Burnout (coming), Wipeout, a bust-a-groove one and GTA (coming). Additionally, the PSP has internet wifi access, and the ability to play video files which is a plus for me, as I'd like the ability to be able to watch converted divx videos around the house.

The thing I think is unreal about the NDS is the ability to link up the consoles and play a game that only one person owns. I've read somewhere that there's potential for PSP to do that too some time, but no one has yet...

decryption
4th April 2005, 07:20 PM
I also want a PSP... I'm looking forward to playing half decent games (Sorry Nintendo, the kiddie games don't work for me) while out an about. $365 for the console, $110 for a 512MB Memory Stick, and $140 for two games. Yikes :(

But look at all the glorious hacks: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000720038308/
The NDS doesn't have all those does it? ;)

Xenex
4th April 2005, 07:21 PM
Don't forget Lumines!

Xenex
4th April 2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Apr 4 2005, 07:20 PM
I also want a PSP... I'm looking forward to playing half decent games (Sorry Nintendo, the kiddie games don't work for me) while out an about. $365 for the console, $110 for a 512MB Memory Stick, and $140 for two games. Yikes :(

But look at all the glorious hacks: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000720038308/
Don't forget import duty; I paid $AU110 on my $AU330ish Nintendo DS import... :/

Bob
4th April 2005, 07:39 PM

No it doesn't have all those hacks - but then, it was ONLY designed as a games console.

A 'games only machine' does not always have to be seen in a negative light - just look at the success of the Gameboy......it has killed all sorts of fancy portables that have come before it....

And in any case, the Nintendo DS is half the price of the PSP......

The PSP is great, but it really is just another device that plays conventional games. All we can expect is the replication of gameplay we've seen before.

The hacks for it are exciting though.

But i would say to anyone tossing up which portable to get, if it is just games you are interested in, don't dismiss the DS on graphics alone.....

...i challange people to play some of the quirky mini games in Mario, or to play Warioware - and you will see the potential advances in gameplay we can expect from the DS.

But as i said before, the LCD on the PSP is just out of this world.

As far as i am concerned, the PSP threatens the iPod more than it does the DS.

mbd
4th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Xenex@Apr 4 2005, 06:37 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about Lik-Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/); I imported my DS from them, and the service was great.
Yeah I've been looking around a lot for a place to order from. The best deal I've found so far is dvdsoon.ca who have the PSP value pack for $350ish canadian. Shipping is a couple of bucks and there's coupons around the place that take 10% off the merchandise, which means you can get the PSP value pack into Australia for less than AU$350, assuming customs doesn't get to you :-).

Will have to check out lumines I guess. I'm most keen on trying Wipeout as I loved that on the playstation...

notb4dinner
4th April 2005, 09:09 PM
There's actually a lot of people running their own code on the DS and it's honest to goodness DS code, not just web pages.

www.darkfader.net/ds/

mbd
5th April 2005, 10:27 AM
I was weak and succcumbed to technolust. Ordered the PSP, so now have to play the waiting game...

Ended up ordering two games; Wipeout Pure (because I love wipeout and because it has the built in web browser hack thingy), and Lumines. Thanks Xenex for pointing it out - I'd initially glossed over it as a half assed tetris clone, but once I saw it was the guy who did Rez on the PS2 I was pretty much sold :-).

OziMac
5th April 2005, 11:53 AM
Where did you end up getting from, and how much did you pay (including any expected taxes)? :)

mbd
6th April 2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 5 2005, 11:53 AM
Where did you end up getting from, and how much did you pay (including any expected taxes)? :)
I ordered from dvdsoon.ca - paid CDN$419 total for the value pack plus the two games plus shipping. Whether I have to pay extra for customs remains to be seen.

And when it will arrive also remains to be seen - looks like they're out of stock and I'm yet to hear when they'll have more :-\.

montfort
10th April 2005, 03:14 PM
really tempted to get one...a friend returns from NY at the end of the week and it costs US$249.

cannot make my mind up - should i get one? or should i not?

montfort
10th April 2005, 03:20 PM
an article in the smh - http://smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/07/1112815631899.html

aeberbach
11th April 2005, 09:04 AM
I've had my PSP about a week now after ordering from lik-sang.com. It is an incredible system. The games are amazing (I have Wipeout Pure and Lumines) and video playback is superb. The video playback was an important thing for me because I wanted something really portable so that my son could watch The Wiggles on plane trips, ruled out the DS completely. I'm never going to use UMD movies, why would you when you can buy the DVD, and encode it for PSP?

Lumines is a very addictive game. It has great music that really needs to be heard through headphones, the PSP speakers are OK but don't do it justice. Each board has a very different feel and its own music. Each move you make influences the soundtrack, so if for example you sweep the blocks right over the screen you get a different sound to a simple drop. Nothing new there of course but it all fits in with the beat and becomes part of the song. If you like puzzle games this title alone will probably be enough to make you buy a PSP. Some freaks on Arstechnica have already clocked it (999999) but I'm unlikely to do that any time soon.

Wipeout Pure gives an illusion of speed that I've not encountered with any other game. Apparently it is slightly easier than previous Wipeout titles in that you don't lose so much speed on wall collision but there is plenty of difficulty as the leagues progress to faster speeds. Track design is just great, and if the "Classic" tracks included are truly lifted from previous releases I think they have made big steps forward. There's nothing like completeing a perfect lap and unleashing a pair of rockets to take first place by half a second.

I don't see that you have to choose DS or PSP or that one has to be better. I have a GBA SP and won't be getting rid of it - maybe the PSP will never get a RPG as good as Tactics Ogre, but the GBA could never have a game like Wipeout Pure - the screen just couldn't manage it. If you look at all the games that have been released for Playstation vs. Gamecube, the Nintendo systems just seem to have deeper game design (of course there are exceptions). What I can't see is why I would want to "upgrade" to get two screens in a DS - the GBA has everything I want now and I can't see a stylus or pictochat being worth the cost of switching.

Where the PSP is really going to shine is once it is cracked for homebrew development. It is just a matter of time until the PSP has Linux - they key for signing code will be cracked. The folding keyboard is not far away either, and then you've got a very portable system with a great screen and wireless internet access, as well as the current movies & games.

OziMac
11th April 2005, 09:11 AM
aeberbach - sorry, if you don't mind me asking- how much did the PSP cost after shipment/taxes/duties etc? :)

mbd
11th April 2005, 11:01 AM
I succumbed and bought a PSP on Saturday from a guy in Hawthorn (melbourne). I'd ordered one from DVDsoon.com but they had no stock and weren't able to say when they would have it in, but that it was unlikely to be less than at least two weeks.

So, for $448ish I got the US Value Pack with Spiderman2 film. Yet to get any games, though I will ASAP. I paid an instant-gratification premium (by about $100ish I guess), but it was nice to buy now on ebay on Friday night and pickup the next day :-).

I kept reading/hearing that the screen is amazing, and well, it is just as incredible as they say. So bright and clear.

Can't wait to actually have a proper game to play, but using it as a multimedia device is pretty cool. I only have a 32mb video card atm, but was able to convert a star wars trailer and copy it across with no probs. Also been able to get it on my wireless network and ping it...

jbjose
11th April 2005, 11:40 AM
aeberbach, your post has got me convinced. I'm going to get a PSP once it comes out locally.

redgsr
21st April 2005, 04:19 PM
I'm in the US ATM & succumbed the other day. Only bought Need 4 Speed, which has me completely hooked, but I fly home tomorrow so I might buy a new game as they are hard to come by at home. Will also buy a bigger mem stick as 32mb is good for figuring out what it can do, but no full DVDs etc.

Memory Stick mounts straight on my desktop (PB Ti, PC slot card reader) - stuff copies across no worries.

Screen is suberb, UI is superb, potential for upgrades/hacks is great. I'd like to try the Wipeout browser hack, but not sure that the game looks worth the $40.

gmask1
21st April 2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry to be the newbie on PSP related matters :) - are there any region coding widgets on these games? Do I have to chip the US consoles before they'll play the local gear when it's released?

Xenex
21st April 2005, 04:43 PM
My PSP about 2 hours ago! It's currently sitting on a shelf, staring at me through bubble-wrap. Ahem.

I'm far too dedicated to work sometimes...

Xenex
21st April 2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by gmask1@Apr 21 2005, 04:35 PM
Sorry to be the newbie on PSP related matters :) - are there any region coding widgets on these games? Do I have to chip the US consoles before they'll play the local gear when it's released?
The games are region-free, but the UMD movies are not.

There aren't any region hacks around... yet... ;)

darknight84
21st April 2005, 05:26 PM
Good things come to those who wait...ppl these days are so impatient and want everything now now now! Just wait until its released! PErhaps theres a reason why they delayed it...

mbd
23rd April 2005, 08:47 PM
Got lumines this week - totally totally addictive. I must have spent a good 1-1.5 hours playing it today (which for me is a long time to be playing a game).

Need to try and get the XLink software going so we can have some networked gaming attempts perhaps... If anyone else has Wipeout or Ridge Racers and wants to give it a go, let me know...

Xenex
23rd April 2005, 10:11 PM
My PSP arrived Thursday... but none of my games have arrived yet... heh.

I've got Wipeout and Lumines on the way; I'm up for some XLink experimentation once they actually get here!

cmetom
2nd May 2005, 12:42 AM
i'm hoping that by September, Sony might release coloured ones to the Japanese market.. i'll grab a white one if they do.

sebsta
5th May 2005, 12:27 AM
My dad is goin to Hong Kong and China in three weeks, should i get him to buy me one?!

Hobart
5th May 2005, 02:11 AM
yes there super duper. and my friend has one and there shiny. the graphics capability is amazing for such a small package, it can play certan dvds, that whole music and picture storeing thing, and i belive that some where you can get some sort of re- writeable disk for it too, all that and it can fit in your pocket easier than the DS. oh and it has wirless and bluetooth capaabilites. the only problem i heard was that there were stuck pixels and the square button would ocassionally stick. for $250 (american) its a great buy.

Kuma
5th May 2005, 08:52 AM
If you had a choice and you could only buy 1 what would it be - iPod or PSP?

My biggest complaint on the PSP is that it is a Sony product. And Sony are well into proprietory stuff. The SMH report that Sony will be opening a music download service... I can see it now... the music will only play through the sony jukebox software, only on a PSP and only limited to the (extensive) Sony stable of artists.

But the PSP does play games and movies.

I was in Japan last December and picked up a PSP had a play with it and ultimately decided against it. I wasn't going to spend that much money on a device that for me would ultimately be a games machine.

I'll stick to my iPod and playing parachute if I want games to go. And if I want games to stay... I'll stick with my uggg!! PC!!

Arkhum_Eramak
5th May 2005, 09:30 AM
Not sure if anyone knows this (was just checking out the end of the convo), but thye retail price of the PSP is $429AU. Thats been officially confirmed. Yeah, I've had a play of the PSP, and, well, to be honest, I found it quite average. It was a little PS2, and little things just don't impress me anymore (technology wise). ATi have a graphics card for mobile phones that can run quake at 60FPS. So yeah, but I wont post what I think of PSP here, that's what my gamerant is for.

Anyway, just wanted to post about the retail. I reckon the retail price for it sucks. Hard. If I wanted one, that would make me think twice, hell, I could get 2 NDSs and a game or one NDS and three games and a peripherals pack for the price of the PSP alone...and I'd rather an iPod anyday, because then you have to get a damn Memory Stick (all my stuff uses SD) to play anything...whoops...I'm sorry...I'll shut up...I just can't help but rant.......ehn......my feeble attempts at not ranting....I am not one with the force.....

mhm.

cmetom
5th May 2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Kuma@May 5 2005, 09:52 AM
My biggest complaint on the PSP is that it is a Sony product. And Sony are well into proprietory stuff. The SMH report that Sony will be opening a music download service... I can see it now... the music will only play through the sony jukebox software, only on a PSP and only limited to the (extensive) Sony stable of artists.
The PSP is not an iPod competitor. But for the sake of this reply I may compare them.

How is that supposed system any different to iPod/iTunes & the iTMS?

the music will only play through the <s>sony</s> apple jukebox software, only on <s>a PSP</s> an ipod

SEE&#33; no different.
the PSP plays un-drm&#39;d MP3s too, just like the iPod.

your only solid argument point is the sony proprietory issue, but that really only counts towards the MemoryStick issue.

darknight84
5th May 2005, 01:16 PM
PSP will come in handy when i have to wait for that next class, cant wait to get my hands on one. I did have one but eventually sold it to a friend since it was a jap version. Now i have the money and waiting for the aussie release. Which is when exactly? Still havent heard anything about it from Sony as of yet. Can someone tell me?

darknight84
5th May 2005, 01:22 PM
Oh wait i got the release date now...whooops&#33;

Kuma
5th May 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@May 5 2005, 12:41 PM
The PSP is not an iPod competitor. But for the sake of this reply I may compare them.

How is that supposed system any different to iPod/iTunes & the iTMS?

SEE&#33; no different.
the PSP plays un-drm&#39;d MP3s too, just like the iPod.

your only solid argument point is the sony proprietory issue, but that really only counts towards the MemoryStick issue.
while I agree with the fundamental point about ipod and itunes etc
there are 2 key differences

the ipod will work with either windows or mac

for music which I have ripped from my cd&#39;s to the mac (in aac format) I do have a choice of alternate players (epson p-2000 springs to mind).

sony really does everything it can to lock you into its products
- memory sticks
- it&#39;s own drm which only works with other sony product
- etc

for me when I buy an apple product I don&#39;t feel like I&#39;m locked in...
ultimately it&#39;s all a matter of perception and purchasing Sony stuff makes me feel like a prisoner.

as for with these products are competitors I beg to differ

for many readers here maybe they can afford/or will make the appropriate sacrifices to have both if they so desire

but for Mr & Mrs Smith who want to buy the kids the killer christmas present they will choose between what is the product the kid will most want.... what they decide I will let you ponder...

mbd
5th May 2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@May 5 2005, 09:30 AM
Not sure if anyone knows this (was just checking out the end of the convo), but thye retail price of the PSP is &#036;429AU. Thats been officially confirmed. Yeah, I&#39;ve had a play of the PSP, and, well, to be honest, I found it quite average. It was a little PS2, and little things just don&#39;t impress me anymore (technology wise). ATi have a graphics card for mobile phones that can run quake at 60FPS. So yeah, but I wont post what I think of PSP here, that&#39;s what my gamerant is for.

Anyway, just wanted to post about the retail. I reckon the retail price for it sucks. Hard. If I wanted one, that would make me think twice, hell, I could get 2 NDSs and a game or one NDS and three games and a peripherals pack for the price of the PSP alone...and I&#39;d rather an iPod anyday, because then you have to get a damn Memory Stick (all my stuff uses SD) to play anything...whoops...I&#39;m sorry...I&#39;ll shut up...I just can&#39;t help but rant.......ehn......my feeble attempts at not ranting....I am not one with the force.....

mhm.
The local price of &#036;429 is nuts, I agree. I can&#39;t see any justification for it, when comparing the prices to all other overseas release prices...

That said, the PSP is awesome, I can&#39;t get enough of Lumines, and with a decent sized memstick the ability to watch mp4 video files is unreal.

You could buy two nintendo DSes for the price, but for my taste, I think I&#39;d rather have &#036;200 in my pocket than a nintendo DS if I didn&#39;t have the PSP as an option.

vargz
6th May 2005, 09:19 AM
So... Sept 1 2005 is the official PSP release date for AU/NZ/EUR

And yep, AU&#036;429.95 (NZ&#036;469.95) for the Value Pack:

PSP Unit
Headphones w Remote
Battery
32MB MSPD
AC Adapter
Pouch
Wrist Strap
Cleaning cloth
Demo Disc

http://www.yourpsp.com/html/en_AU_press_release.pdfse (http://www.yourpsp.com/html/en_AU_press_release.pdf)

Geez... alot pricier than I was expecting, esp for a portable (I was thinkin more AU&#036;300-350). So Im kinda put off getting one at all, let alone at launch. Add to this the impending release of the PS3/XB2, there just ain&#39;t enough &#036;&#036;&#036; in my pocket to spend on all these toys :(

mattatkins
29th July 2005, 09:46 AM
Harvey Norman have an add in the Herald Sun today for the PSP at &#036;399.95. You can pre order it and is released on September 1st.

You also get a bonus PC data cable, Hard carry case, Car Charger and Headphones plus a bonus Spider Man2 UMD video. I&#39;m not too sure if these are included in the standard pack anyway but seems like a good deal. Think I maybe be placing an order for one.

Matt

-neon-
29th July 2005, 11:00 AM
I would buy one today if sony weren&#39;t holding up the itms... Boycot&#33; Boycot&#33; :(

Wally
29th July 2005, 12:07 PM
Is the Japanese version different to the AUS ver when it comes out?

cmetom
29th July 2005, 02:07 PM
only gotta wait 15 more days and get a white one from J-land

darknight84
29th July 2005, 02:37 PM
Comparing the AUS to JAP I think is the screen quality. Jap version will look much better than AUS i think in screen quality.

Has anyone heard about someone hacking the PSP and being able to put an iTrip into it? I&#39;ve heard a few ppl doing this in the states.

ford.boy
26th August 2005, 02:25 PM
Sorry to dig an old thread up,

Just windering how everyone and their PSP is going, and is it worth me buying the value pack for &#036;399? I&#39;m loving the idea of having one I think...

nbetts
29th August 2005, 11:46 AM
I got my PSP last week. its a great little machine and i am having fun with it.

I have the Jap version. no problems on battery life.
Connect well to my airport network. i can do web browsing on it, albeit slow.

screen quality is amazing.

Record off Eye tv on my Mac and convert to PSP format and watch TV on my 1gig memory disk.

Games and excellent and fun.

cmetom
31st August 2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Kuma@May 5 2005, 02:55 PM
while I agree with the fundamental point about ipod and itunes etc
there are 2 key differences

the ipod will work with either windows or mac

for music which I have ripped from my cd&#39;s to the mac (in aac format) I do have a choice of alternate players (epson p-2000 springs to mind).

sony really does everything it can to lock you into its products
- memory sticks
- it&#39;s own drm which only works with other sony product
- etc

for me when I buy an apple product I don&#39;t feel like I&#39;m locked in...
ultimately it&#39;s all a matter of perception and purchasing Sony stuff makes me feel like a prisoner.

i don&#39;t see how the PSP doesn&#39;t work with windows and mac..

if you rip your music to aac that&#39;s your fault - i rip to mp3 because MP3 PLAYERS are what are sold.. they ALL play MP3s. my iPod does, my PSP does, my computers do. i really don&#39;t understand why ppl would rip to a format like aac or wma or ogg that is limited... what a waste of time.

i don&#39;t see how the Sony DRM affects me with a PSP any worse than the Apple DRM affects me with an iPod...

yes, PSP takes memory stick so that&#39;s one sony &#39;lock&#39;.. but my digital camera takes SD, so i was &#39;locked&#39; into getting an SD card when i have a perfectly good compactflash :o holy moses how will i live&#33;&#33;
for me memorystick is good anyway, cause my phone takes it too. so i don&#39;t see how this &#39;lock&#39; is any worse than any other flash-media-based device out there. i certainly didn&#39;t feel the need to buy a sony camera because i had a sony phone and memorystick for it... you&#39;re only locked if you let yourself.

mr and mrs smith buying the kid an ipod or a psp.. well that doesn&#39;t concern me... my kids don&#39;t whine and bitch if they don&#39;t have the newest stuff.

anyway... my argument overall is that a PSP doesn&#39;t "lock" or "DRM" the buyer any more than an iPod, or an iRiver, or a Mac with iTunes, or a DVD player with region locks for movies, etc.

cmetom
31st August 2005, 02:21 PM
bought my PSP yesterday in akihabara.. 23000yen... haven&#39;t really played a game yet, just put on a screen protector, charged it and drooled at its beauty and stuff.

oh and hi guys, long time no see.. i&#39;m travelling, currently in japan and was in the states before.

no white PSP release yet.. i think it&#39;s like, the week after i leave. might pre-order one before I go if I can.

eyeLikeCarrots
5th September 2005, 08:16 AM
Got mine Sep 1st.....

My order was stuffed up, this is a &#39;hardly normal&#39; occurrance for large australian companies (If you get my meaning).....

I ordered the PSP with the value pack for pre- order and also I really wanted Colin McRae Rally which was on the shelves as pre-sale stock as well.

I showed up last wednesday morning at 9am cause I wasnted to get to work and the df&#39;s at the counter only had the PSP, no value pack, no game.....

You might understand that I was quite put out by this, so I&#39;ve written a letter to the proprieter of the store asking him to explain when I will receive the rest of the good I have paid for.

Now I&#39;ve discovered the PSP has a dead pixel and its shitting me to tears.... does anybody know off hand what Sony&#39;s dead pixel policy for PSP&#39;s are ?

nbetts
5th September 2005, 08:28 AM
Good luck with the dead pixel issue. Sony will not replace it. sometimes the store may very well do it but its unlikely on such a new product. Sony does have a policy in Dead Pixels. you would have to ask them for that.

i personally dont understand why quality controls are not put in palce to ensure no LCD screens go out with dead pixels. unfortunately what this is saying to consumers and is setting a precedent to say you do not have to be supplied goods in perfect working order, that near enough is good enough.

eyeLikeCarrots
5th September 2005, 08:33 AM
Well, Sony suck monkey ballz then.....

queraxus
5th September 2005, 09:08 AM
I think a white PSP would be very, very ugly.

Scalpel
5th September 2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by cmetom@Aug 31 2005, 02:09 PM
i don&#39;t see how the PSP doesn&#39;t work with windows and mac..

if you rip your music to aac that&#39;s your fault - i rip to mp3 because MP3 PLAYERS are what are sold.. they ALL play MP3s. my iPod does, my PSP does, my computers do. i really don&#39;t understand why ppl would rip to a format like aac or wma or ogg that is limited... what a waste of time.

i don&#39;t see how the Sony DRM affects me with a PSP any worse than the Apple DRM affects me with an iPod...

yes, PSP takes memory stick so that&#39;s one sony &#39;lock&#39;.. but my digital camera takes SD, so i was &#39;locked&#39; into getting an SD card when i have a perfectly good compactflash :o holy moses how will i live&#33;&#33;
for me memorystick is good anyway, cause my phone takes it too. so i don&#39;t see how this &#39;lock&#39; is any worse than any other flash-media-based device out there. i certainly didn&#39;t feel the need to buy a sony camera because i had a sony phone and memorystick for it... you&#39;re only locked if you let yourself.

mr and mrs smith buying the kid an ipod or a psp.. well that doesn&#39;t concern me... my kids don&#39;t whine and bitch if they don&#39;t have the newest stuff.

anyway... my argument overall is that a PSP doesn&#39;t "lock" or "DRM" the buyer any more than an iPod, or an iRiver, or a Mac with iTunes, or a DVD player with region locks for movies, etc.
PSP&#39;s play AAC&#39;s.

cmetom
11th September 2005, 07:46 PM
lol really.. that only helps my case..

tho against my case, i bet it doesn&#39;t play purchased/encrypted ones?