PDA

View Full Version : New TV

chrisede
24th May 2008, 04:04 PM
Hey guys,

just got myself a new TV. Went from a 68cm CRT to a 52" LCD.
Model is KDL-52W3100. It's a full HD model from Sony with built in HD STB.

Just amazed at how easy it was to connect to my iMac. Just plugged in my mini-DVI to DVI, then DVI to HDMI cable, and one for audio... done.

Awesome. No stuffing around or anything. Very impressed.

[MREVO8]
24th May 2008, 04:10 PM
My Dad got a 40" W series a little while ago... they're very good, more or less same specs as the "old" X series (which I have).

Have you got a PS3 or do you plan to get a Blu-ray player at all?

GeoffP
24th May 2008, 05:10 PM
Hi,
Can I ask how the display goes with fast moving video like football, cricket, car racing, etc.
Have you picked up on any blurring?

chrisede
24th May 2008, 05:52 PM
I plan on picking up a PS3 at some stage down the track. I will play some video soon and see how it goes with the ghosting, etc.

iGOOSE
24th May 2008, 06:19 PM
HOT TIP FOR LCD/PLASMA BUYERS:

When trying out LCD or Plasma TVs take along Robert de Niro's film "RONIN (http://www.mgm.com/title_title.php?title_star=RONIN)", which is widely considered to have some of the fastest car chases on film and sorts out the good from the bad in no time.

aafuss
25th May 2008, 09:59 AM
I also own a Bravia-a 40" KDL40D3100.

grorr76
25th May 2008, 11:03 AM
HOT TIP FOR LCD/PLASMA BUYERS:

When trying out LCD or Plasma TVs take along Robert de Niro's film "RONIN (http://www.mgm.com/title_title.php?title_star=RONIN)", which is widely considered to have some of the fastest car chases on film and sorts out the good from the bad in no time.

id take that further and advise take a look at channel 10's afl in hd if that looks good you have yourself a great tv. On lesser sets 10's afl becomes a smudgy mess.

chrisede
25th May 2008, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, just did a bit of testing, amateur as it may be.

Display is fine running a DVD on my imac. Varies from DVD to DVD of course. Haven't tried using an actual DVD play connected, don't have one :D

Installed Quake 3 (mac version). Runs fine. Put the res up to 1280*1024 on High quality, runs like a dream. Could be better, and you can see the screen refresh. But I've noticed the higher the res, the less you see with that. Figures.

I had it running at a low res first, and there was a huge amount of ghosting. So upping the res worked wonders.

All in all, very happy with this TV. Got it for a steal too!