PDA

View Full Version : Dual Win and Mac Partitions

magnarc
3rd April 2005, 01:59 AM
Hi

Am wanting to partition a ext HDD into two separate partitions - easy enough.

What I am finding hard is partitioning the drive so that one partition is mac format, and the other FAT32 for Windoze.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this. Dont have easy access to a PC either.

neilrobinson
3rd April 2005, 02:25 AM
not always an easy thing to do.. unless your happy about using terminal in which this case This Will Help You (http://macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030613121738812)

neil

jobe
3rd April 2005, 10:38 AM
may I ask what is wrong with partitioning the entire disk fat32? Which both windows and Mac OSX can read? How big is the external HDD? Obviously if it's too large for one fat32 partition, you could always simply make 2 fat32 partitions.

EDIT: it's easy enough to make a single entire fat32 partition on a drive on a mac. Just go to disk utility, select the drive (not partition) that you want partition and format, go to erase and in volume format select ms-dos fs. There you have it, it can be read and written to in windows and OSX.

Byrd
3rd April 2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by jobe@Apr 3 2005, 10:38 AM
may I ask what is wrong with partitioning the entire disk fat32? Which both windows and Mac OSX can read? How big is the external HDD? Obviously if it's too large for one fat32 partition, you could always simply make 2 fat32 partitions.

I'm currently experimenting with my external hdd and will get back to you with the results.
The option under Apple's Disk Utility to format FAT32 just plain doesn't work when you plug the drive into a PC. Your best bet - find a friend with a PC running Windows XP and format some of the drive to FAT32, using the Computer Management utility supplied under the Administrative Tools control panel. Another great Windows formatting program is PartitionStar (http://www.star-tools.com/partitionstar/english/), which has helped me many times over. Then, go to this osxhints page (http://macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030613121738812) to make another HFS+ partition under the Terminal. Unfortunately there is no decent partitioning software under OS X, hence the need to find a Windows PC to make this easier.

Of cource, since Mac/PC can both read FAT32, you'd might find it simpler to just format the whole drive as FAT32. However, Windows/OS X can't format drives as FAT32 above 128GB. In addition, I've found that copying OS X files to an FAT32 partition often causes problems - refusing to copy some files etc for some inexplicable reason. So you might just be better off spending some time doing the above, as you'll encounter less problems over PC/Mac platforms.

JB

EDIT: There are also a few Windows utilities that can read and write to HFS+ partitions. TransMac (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/TransMac.shtml) offers a free 30-day trial, as one suggestion.

Joz
3rd April 2005, 11:28 AM
Interesting quote from Microsoft.

"In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems."

jobe
3rd April 2005, 11:33 AM
strange byrd. I just formatted my 80gb external hdd fat32 using disk utility in OSX, copied files, unmouted it and plugged it into my PC and it's working fine. Can read/write from both os's without any problems what so ever.

I've also been using my ipod the same way (although it was formatted on windows) to move files around from my ibook to uni PCs etc without ever running into the problems you described with copying.

btw- disk management in admin tools on winXP will not give you the option to format a partition fat32 if it's over 32gb in size.

Byrd
3rd April 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Joz@Apr 3 2005, 11:28 AM
Interesting quote from Microsoft.

"In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems."
It must be a preference of Microsoft nowadays - by all means you can have FAT32 partitions to 128GB (and you can still format to this using a third-party utility under XP), although cluster size of files will be big in a large FAT32 parition (meaning a lot of wasted space).

Mounted NTFS parititions can be read under OS X, but not written to. NTFS paritions on a network however can be read and written to.

JB

Edit: Thanks jobe, I must have a freaky install of OS X :unsure:

magnarc
4th April 2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Am gonna get two FAT32 partitions done by a friend, then reformat one as HFS+ in terminal.

The reason is that I want the smaller partition to carry an OS X install of Panther as a basic safe boot backup. *Edit* Perhaps this is simply not possible from reading OSX hints tho

Also same as Byrd notes, there are just odd things sometimes with Macs and FAT32ers, especially with OS9(i get into the educ sector a bit)

The other partition is for raiding windoze PCs of friends.

Nat

king89
4th April 2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Byrd@Apr 3 2005, 11:25 AM
The option under Apple's Disk Utility to format FAT32 just plain doesn't work when you plug the drive into a PC. Your best bet - find a friend with a PC running Windows XP and format some of the drive to FAT32, using the Computer Management utility supplied under the Administrative Tools control panel. Another great Windows formatting program is PartitionStar (http://www.star-tools.com/partitionstar/english/), which has helped me many times over. Then, go to this osxhints page (http://macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030613121738812) to make another HFS+ partition under the Terminal. Unfortunately there is no decent partitioning software under OS X, hence the need to find a Windows PC to make this easier.

Of cource, since Mac/PC can both read FAT32, you'd might find it simpler to just format the whole drive as FAT32. However, Windows/OS X can't format drives as FAT32 above 128GB. In addition, I've found that copying OS X files to an FAT32 partition often causes problems - refusing to copy some files etc for some inexplicable reason. So you might just be better off spending some time doing the above, as you'll encounter less problems over PC/Mac platforms.

JB

EDIT: There are also a few Windows utilities that can read and write to HFS+ partitions. TransMac (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/TransMac.shtml) offers a free 30-day trial, as one suggestion.
I'll have to disagree, I have a 200 gig external HDD formatted in fat32 using the disk utility in OSX. I have no problems moving any type of files and sharing that with my windows PC or vice versa.

Byrd
4th April 2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by magnarc@Apr 4 2005, 02:30 AM
The reason is that I want the smaller partition to carry an OS X install of Panther as a basic safe boot backup. *Edit* Perhaps this is simply not possible from reading OSX hints tho

Sounds good, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) to make a backup of your OS X install.

(PS. holding down 'T' at startup will allow you to select a Firewire drive as your boot device)

JB

macmate
4th April 2005, 08:51 AM
Why not just use disk utility to format two partitions in HFS+ then select one partition and format it FAT32. no need for terminal or going to PCs. disk utility works fine.

magnarc
4th April 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Apr 4 2005, 08:51 AM
Why not just use disk utility to format two partitions in HFS+ then select one partition and format it FAT32. no need for terminal or going to PCs. disk utility works fine.
You cant do that with Disk Utility.

Once you partition a drive, the option to format FAT32(MS-DOS) becomes unavailable.