PDA

View Full Version : External HDD keeps dismounting

Mac Ram
20th May 2008, 08:02 AM
Hi

I have an external HDD in a Sarotch Hardbox enclosure. Had it about 8 months or so.

I have recently connected it via fw800 to my new Al iMac and it keeps dismounting. Often it will dismount and then re-appear on the desktop, other times I have to switch it off and back on again.

Previously it was connected via fw400 to my CD iMac and I never had any of these problems.

Sounds like the connection somehow - but was wondering if anybody had any other ideas?

Cheers.

rob05
20th May 2008, 08:27 AM
I have a FW 400/800 ext drive which was doing similar. I copied the data to another drive and ran a format of the problem drive and it has worked fine ever since.

As yet I have no idea what the format changed but it works without any issues now.

Mac Ram
20th May 2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks Rob05. I might try that tonight.

Jun
20th May 2008, 09:07 AM
I had the same problem with my 500GB WD MYBOOK external drive. Under Tiger it constantly dismounted. When I upgraded to Leopard I reformatted it and it has worked fine since.

ClockWork
20th May 2008, 09:10 AM
Definitely copy the content while you can access it... just in case.

Mac Ram
21st May 2008, 12:14 AM
Reformatted. 5 mins later it dismounted again...shit.

Will it be the hard drive as opposed to the case?

When it is running (i.e. writing data etc) it makes quite a clunky sound......not whirring....more metal scraping/clunking........doesn't sound too good.

rob05
21st May 2008, 12:18 AM
Ouch I didn't read yoiur post to well before and changed my mind.

From the sounds you describe the drive is more likely on its last legs I would copy everything off whilst it is still working. You would be better to get a new one to replace it and just re-use the same case which would be quite fine.

Mac Ram
21st May 2008, 12:32 AM
Should still be under warranty...don't have the receipt though :(

But I know the date I bought it (via CC statement) and it was from the local Apple reseller. I've bought a few things from them, so hopefully they'll see me right.

icecube
23rd May 2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Mac Ram,

If possible run Tech Tools Pro on the drive - this should tell you the health of the drive. Also, don't rule out a faulty Power Supply (built into the Hardbox itself). If it is the PSU and it's out of warranty, this could be a quick and easy fix.