PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini as a recording device?

lukky
3rd April 2005, 12:38 AM
I was thinking of using a mac mini as a standalone recording ("station"/device??) thing.

now wat i need to do is to have 2 mic voice (at least) channels and then 2 headphone output.

Now HOW do i do this??
i use a PC.... so i really have no idea how macs work....
using USB sound card, i.e. creative Audiology NX 2 USB??

can someone clearify this for me?
and also will it be abel to record the two channels simitaniously and seperately....

cheers
-alex

StLuke
3rd April 2005, 04:59 AM
You'll need an external audio interface: USB 2 or Firewire, since the mini doesn't have an audio in on it.

Check out an MBox (digidesign) since their low end looks to be about what you're after... There are meny others tho!

The g4/1.25 isn't the greatest processor, but would handle multitrack audio ok. Make sure you have 512MB ram, otherwaise it'll stutter a lot more than you want.

I'm soon to test out Garageband 2 on my brother's mini, I'll report back if there are any problems. Given that a flatmate of mine could do 8-track recording on a digi001/powermac 4 years ago, I'm not expecting hassles :)

Luke
----

fompsweeva
3rd April 2005, 08:50 AM
I use an Mbox with my iBook 1ghz with 768 megs of ram and it's done it with no fuss.

I've had up to 20 tracks at times.

BiRDBRAiN
3rd April 2005, 09:44 AM
My brother-in-law does recordings professionally and he uses an M-Audio USB device and swears by it.

lukky
3rd April 2005, 05:18 PM
humm the Mbox looks expensive....

$400+ USD!!??

thanks for the reply guys...
so it should be pretty painless to use tho?

the_cripple
4th April 2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by lukky@Apr 3 2005, 05:18 PM
humm the Mbox looks expensive....

$400+ USD!!??

thanks for the reply guys...
so it should be pretty painless to use tho?
It may be expensive but your paying for a quality device. Read the reviews out there and they all praise the unit.

Also they are up on ebay.com.au quite regularily and go for about 700AUD if thats anyhelp.

BiRDBRAiN
4th April 2005, 11:03 AM
LOL, thats cheap compared to what I've seen people use.

But yeah, the M-Audio products are good quality, I've seen some of the bigger devices they have and they are very good.