PDA

View Full Version : God BigPond is slow

LCGuy
16th May 2008, 04:25 PM
So for some reason, my Dodo dialup account (which I normally use when I'm at home) isn't working, so therefore I'm online now via Dad's Telstra BigPond account (POS) to get Dodo's customer service number. God, I forgot how bloody slow SmallPuddle is. Even though Dodo is still dialup, comparing SmallPuddle dialup to Dodo dialup is honestly like comparing a Hyundai Getz to a SS Commodore. Everything takes so much longer to load, and you better damn hope that whatever you're trying to load doesn't time out on you. Just makes me wonder...how the hell do people use this crap?

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system! :thumbdn: And yes, I know I should be on broadband, and I would, but its not my fault that I live in this mindbogglingly craptacular place that is otherwise known as "the country". :rolleyes:

jdub
16th May 2008, 04:27 PM
When I get shaped I know how it feels. Try turning off images in Safari, it helps a bit.

Lachie
16th May 2008, 04:27 PM
simple answer, they dont (easily). optus cable is altite

purana
16th May 2008, 04:34 PM
You have to be kidding me. Dial up from any provider is slow. Dodo dial up is by no means better then Telstra's.

At the end of the day, both are dial up and both as bad as each other.

LCGuy
16th May 2008, 04:37 PM
No, I'm 100% serious. I'm sure that my Dodo account is nowhere near as slow as this, er, "thing", if I may call it that.

Cheese
16th May 2008, 04:54 PM
Hold on. DIal up is fast?

I dont think so.

LCGuy
16th May 2008, 05:09 PM
I never said it was fast, compared to the internet service at uni my Dodo dialup is slow, but like I said, compared to Telstra dialup it is fast.

Anyway, just rang up Dodo customer "service", and after 15 minutes of talking to an Indian, i'm back on a real internet connection once again. :)

step_andy
1st December 2008, 10:12 PM
For all Bigpond users ...
How come when one attempts to log into the web mail or my bigpond via the bigpond site, the log in window is always last to load?
All the ads and crap ALWAYS loads first.

:thumbdn:

bennyling
1st December 2008, 10:15 PM
Again with the thread necromancy!

Exocet
1st December 2008, 10:15 PM
Anyway, just rang up Dodo customer "service", and after 15 minutes of talking to an Indian, i'm back on a real internet connection once again. :)
I just love how people choose the cheapest providers available and then complain about their provider taking a cheap route for customer service. How do you think they keep the costs down, magic?

LCGuy
4th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Exocet, the only reason I'm on a cheap internet connection is because I live in the country, where Telstra has chosen to cut costs by giving us the cheapest infrastructure possible with technology that makes the Model T Ford look like "The Way Of The Future" ;)

And wow, what an old thread. :P

mvjs
4th December 2008, 05:10 PM
If it was exactly the same connection with an Internode sticker on it, this thread wouldn't exist.

BigPond offer the fastest residential 'net connection in Australia, Cable Extreme at 30Mb/1Mb. BigPond/Telstra have a superb network for the most part but charge an arm and a leg for it. As I think every iPhone user can attest to, NextG is unrivalled.

And no, I don't work for Telstra and am not a BigPond customer either. I'm very happy on iiNet.

MacRobbo
4th December 2008, 09:18 PM
Really? Im on bigpond (dads choice - not mine, lol) and its not slow for us. Great download speeds and mthly data allowance.

PatrickH
5th December 2008, 03:16 PM
I've had BigPond and their Broadband for nearly 10 years.

The last time I used Dial-Up was with AOL and that wasn't that bad.

You need to learn to upgrade your Internet in accordance to the technology of today. What I mean is 1GB data allowance was pretty good over 5 years ago, but you then need to upgrade.

Now, my plan is their Liberty *Unlimited* 25GB 20Mbs. At $99/Month their service is good, but their prices are a tad high in my opinion.

iCarllovesapple
7th December 2008, 12:01 PM
So for some reason, my Dodo dialup account (which I normally use when I'm at home) isn't working, so therefore I'm online now via Dad's Telstra BigPond account (POS) to get Dodo's customer service number. God, I forgot how bloody slow SmallPuddle is. Even though Dodo is still dialup, comparing SmallPuddle dialup to Dodo dialup is honestly like comparing a Hyundai Getz to a SS Commodore. Everything takes so much longer to load, and you better damn hope that whatever you're trying to load doesn't time out on you. Just makes me wonder...how the hell do people use this crap?

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system! :thumbdn: And yes, I know I should be on broadband, and I would, but its not my fault that I live in this mindbogglingly craptacular place that is otherwise known as "the country". :rolleyes:

Well... Here's my story... I signed up with Bigpond in March 2007. We are now in December 2008. I only have 4-5 months left of my contract. In May this year I upgraded my Macs. I bought a 24" iMac, and a new Macbook Air. My internet soon (Very Soon) became un-usable... I thought.. WTF?
So I rang Bigpond and they told me that I needed to upgrade my Data plan because the amount of computers I am running at the same time is not supported by my internet speed! I thought... PFt... They are trying to get more money out of me. I did my calculations and found that it was best & cheaper if I just upgraded my plan. So that's what I did. My point here is that Bigpond only care about their money. Rude & Arrogant people!!!
All I can say is that I can't wait for the 1st of March! Good Bye Bigpond.. Hello... ii twins! iiNet I think will be my next internet service provider! ;) Good deals and good prices, all year 'round! Yay :D

Piratbyran
7th December 2008, 12:05 PM
*glances at cable modem*

*double takes at dial up modem*

.. and to think i thought that my 33k connection was fast.

LCGuy
7th December 2008, 12:58 PM
You need to learn to upgrade your Internet in accordance to the technology of today. What I mean is 1GB data allowance was pretty good over 5 years ago, but you then need to upgrade.

If you're talking to me, I'm sorry, I don't need to learn anything. I would have broadband if only our local infrastructure allowed it. Unfortunately its Telstra who needs to wake up and learn that just because someone doesn't live in the city centre of Sydney or Melbourne, that they are not also a paying customer. Our phone line is such a heap of shit that it has a hard enough time handling FAXES (lol, yeah, I know, remember those? my parents still use them), let alone any kind of Internet connection.

PatrickH
7th December 2008, 04:13 PM
If you're talking to me, I'm sorry, I don't need to learn anything. I would have broadband if only our local infrastructure allowed it. Unfortunately its Telstra who needs to wake up and learn that just because someone doesn't live in the city centre of Sydney or Melbourne, that they are not also a paying customer. Our phone line is such a heap of shit that it has a hard enough time handling FAXES (lol, yeah, I know, remember those? my parents still use them), let alone any kind of Internet connection.

Apologies, I wasn't really aware of your circumstances.

Have you tried giving grief to Telstra about doing something?

iCameron
7th December 2008, 06:02 PM
I've had BigPond and their Broadband for nearly 10 years.

The last time I used Dial-Up was with AOL and that wasn't that bad.

Now, my plan is their Liberty *Unlimited* 25GB 20Mbs. At $99/Month their service is good, but their prices are a tad high in my opinion.

Their prices are VERY high, so high it should be illegal. but i suppose their stuck with the bill of upgrading infrastructure and maintaining it, not optus or any other company it's solely on them.

Though, my bigpond connection is DAMN reliable, it's good.. really good.

BigPond offer the fastest residential 'net connection in Australia, Cable Extreme at 30Mb/1Mb. BigPond/Telstra have a superb network for the most part but charge an arm and a leg for it. As I think every iPhone user can attest to, NextG is unrivalled.

Oh, and it's VERY fast, VERY VERY fast, i've gotten speeds of 32mbit/sec > 4mb/sec with my plan, it's amazing.

I think you end up paying for your internet to be up.. all of the time, also BigPond's tech's are on till midnight.. sure, not 24/7, but a lot better then anyone else will do.

I think im with brains on the NextG thing, that shit CANT be good and it's not worth the health effects for such slow speeds.

WindowsVista
7th December 2008, 07:51 PM
Had bigpond for a fair few years now. Im on there 30mb down package. I've reached 34mb down before. It's amazing. Have had a few issues every now and then, but overall it is fairly reliable.