PDA

View Full Version : Mac printing on PC network

benny gsr
16th May 2008, 03:23 PM
I am pretty useless with PC networks, and the tech guy for the business I work at has just gone on holiday, so thought I might ask here.

I use my macbook pro in a health clinic where the pc's are linked. One printer is connected to the local server, and the other printer (also the fax) is its own server (??). Trouble is, I can't print from either. I can see them on the network, I have the relevant log in code required, however when I go to print a document, it just ends up sitting in the queue, with the message in the printer window saying: "on hold (authentication required)".

I have gone into the control panel on the pc connected to the printer, and it does seem to already allow for anyone on the network to be able to print, so I don't know what authentication is required for my mac.

If there is something simple I'm missing here, please let me know, but if its too complex without further info, then I will have to try the anti-mac techie when he comes back.

Thanks

JimWOz
16th May 2008, 03:38 PM
Benny,
Try bypassing the network queues and talk direct to the Fax/printer.
You need to know the printers IP address and then add the printer as an IP printer in the Printer Set Up Utility. Hopefully you have the ppd files already loaded by default in OSX, so should be able to go this way.

bartron
16th May 2008, 03:59 PM
two things you need.
1) ip address or name of the print server
2) name of the print queue on the server for the printer you want to print to.

Go to the print and fax pref pane and click + to add a printer. Up the top select IP and protocol LPD.

From here you can do one of two things.
a ) In 'address' put in the name or IP of the print server and the name of the print queue in 'queue'
b ) In 'address' put in the IP of the printer, leave 'queue' blank.

option a is preferred.

If one of those doesn't get print action happening then we'll need to know more about your network in order to get things running.

poorhousefx
2nd October 2008, 11:33 PM
Hi:
I am having the same issue as stated above. I know how to use the IP address and can make it work that way but the school where I work wants it to all go through their print server. So I was curious if I provided some network info if I could get some help since out tech dept. is useless and basically telling us we, the teachers, have to fix it. If you can help, what kind of info would you need from my end?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Feral71
28th October 2008, 01:45 AM
Hi All! I've just joined this forum. In fact, this is the first ever forum I've joined. I've been a PC supporter for 15 years, but my lovely wife introduced me to the world of Macs about 4 years ago and I love 'em! Still keep my PC cos I'm a constant upgrader with a tight budget. I've spend years building and tinkering with lots of PCs, and have spend quite some time getting to know the Macs now too. Anyway, straight down to business. I'm getting increasingly frustrated finding a print server that does what I want it to do.

I have a Billion BiPAC 7300 router/ADSL hub (wired), and connected to which is my PC running Windows XP SP2, and an eMac running 10.3.x. I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX650 and a Canon Pixma i3000, both of which I would like to share on the LAN.

I just bought a Netcomm NP3680 print server, which in the online pages had some vague references to OS 10.3, but in the literature which came with it, none at all! In fact, I have since found a link on the Netcomm website called 'Mac users', and next to this product, there is a big fat red 'X', meaning not compatible. Of course I found this after opening the package and trying to set it up, and having absolutely no luck! I have no doubt it would work on the PC, but I would really love to share the Epson MFP over the network. Not so critical on the Canon though.

My questions (finally!) are;

Should I persevere with this unit? (can it be done without too much messing about with IP addresses etc?) Or,

What is a print server that is compatible with both worlds of Windows and Macs?

Thank you for any help you are able to give me. (Hopefully before I return the print server to the retailer if it will work!) :)

Feral71
28th October 2008, 07:56 AM
Hi again. Have some more information for my print server problem. When I connected my Netcomm print server directly to the eMac using a crossover ethernet cable to initialise it (as per instructions), I cannot contact it at all using its fixed IP address.

Hope this helps.