PDA

View Full Version : S-Video Output Black & White.

Rayd
2nd April 2005, 05:55 PM
Hey all, i was wondering if anyone knew or had the same problem as this?

i have a Radeon 9800 PRO (PC Flashed) it works perfectly except the S-Video output is black and white. i have changed all the settings in ATI Displays, and have tried diferent TV's... all resuslts the same. any help?

kit
2nd April 2005, 06:03 PM
Is the S-Video cable of high quality?

Cabling can make for some outstandingly strange output.

fompsweeva
2nd April 2005, 06:10 PM
It's likely it's a cable problem.

Check each connector - are all four pins present at each end?

If not, there's your answer.

Also try a shorter cable. It should definitely be under 4 meters.

Definitely try several cables that you know work properly before suspecting hardware.

Rayd
2nd April 2005, 06:16 PM
well all 4 are there on both ends... ill go out and get another see what the problem is... thanks.

Disko
2nd April 2005, 06:21 PM
i tried plugging my powerbook into a friend's TV - it came out black and white. Maybe try it on a different TV?

dingl
2nd April 2005, 07:11 PM
i've had this problem before, it was the cable that goes in between the devices fault... replaced it and hey presto, colour again...

sherlockmaster
2nd April 2005, 07:30 PM
hey discko
i have changed all the settings in ATI Displays, and have tried diferent TV's...

Disko
2nd April 2005, 07:34 PM
ah of course. *reads thread properly* :)

neilrobinson
2nd April 2005, 07:51 PM
its 99% chance its the cable... i have has the same problem with 4 cables in a row :huh:

they where cheap cables so its my fault :angry:

neil

Byrd
2nd April 2005, 07:58 PM
ATI often offer frequent updates to their ROM sets and ATI desktop software - have you updated both to the latest?

I use a cheap, thin Jaycar 10m SVideo cable to my TV (from an EPIA-based HTPC), and it's fine. I've encountered problems with the TV not setting the right PAL or NTSC output. Some (read: cheap) TVs I've plugged the machine into just plain refuse to output to colour, regardless of each setting I've adjusted. Wondering if that's the problem - it's not properly set to PAL/NTSC on your TV.

JB

Rayd
2nd April 2005, 08:09 PM
oh ok thanks, i thought for a sec a found a fault in my flashed 9800 :) will go to some place and get a decent cable. thanks :D

geektechnu
2nd April 2005, 08:09 PM
My first reaction is to agree with Byrd.

Most recent TVs have some option to set the colour mode to PAL / NTSC / AUTO

NTSC signal on a PAL tv comes out black& white.
Foreign PAL signal on an Aus PAL tv also comes out black & white (or in some cases the hue/saturation is screwed up). Casued by incorrect colour carrier frequency (different countries transmit colour information at different frequencies).

If you've tried different TVs/cables, then this is most likely the problem.
Have you got an S-Video to Composite converter plug (comes with most videocards)? You could see if putting the signal through a composite RCA cable helps.

pipsqeek
3rd April 2005, 10:39 AM
If its not the cable. I'd like to think that the issue is more to do with said NTSC and PAL.

I know with my TV (its a Loewe) when there is a NTCS signal present, the screen will go black and white for a second, then flick over to colour.

pipsqeek