PDA

View Full Version : Epson RX510 Printer Proxy & Leopard

sydbill
15th May 2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Guys, I have just moved over from a G4 Emac running OS 10.3.9 (Panther) to a new Intel Imac running OS 10.5 (Leopard). After migrating all across the only problem I am having is that the Epson Photo Stylus Printer RX510 keeps giving me a message that the printer proxy is not responding. I get an error message (-1712) whatever that means. Otherwise the printer works OK, it prints and the utilities window will open OK too.

Any suggestions on how to get the printer proxy working OK, it will open sometimes but is quite slow with the spinning pizza on my desktop. I have downloaded what I think is the latest driver from the Epson site ( it is designated SPRX series 3.09) and installed it without any change in behaviour.

The printer works fine on my G4 emac running Panther.

Any suggestions on making this work would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cussles
15th May 2008, 03:42 PM
-1712 means an Apple event timed out - usually because it took 2 minutes or more without responding.

This is a sporadic problem with Leopard and there doesn't seem to be a fix yet, however as you have noted, the printer still prints and the utilities work. The problem isn't isolated to one model or even brand.

In the mean time, I think you'll find the proxy icon bouncing in the dock for 2 minutes, and yet at the same time the job is printing - just try and click on the bouncing icon and force quit it.

I would suggest that you just keep installing the new system updates as they come along, and one day one of these may even fix the issue.

"Update your software", they say. "Keep up to date", they say. "Yeah, right", I say! Since migrating to Leopard I have font problems, my printer colour calibration is shot to pieces, Mail and my browsers have font and display issues, the printer application now doesn't quit automatically after a job is done... So much for keeping up-to-date.

sydbill
15th May 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the reply cussies. I was just wondering if I should have done a clean install of the OS in case migration assistant didn't do it's job correctly and left some files out. - There seems to be some duplication of files and I thought maybe I should get software to identify and eliminate duplicates. I think Spring Cleaning has now become Chipmunk but I don't know if it is any good.

cussles
15th May 2008, 06:48 PM
You could try a clean install but there are a few threads on the Apple discussion boards (and others) about this issue and there doesn't seem to be a common cause to it.

I did a straight forward update from Tiger to Leopard, so I have heaps of superfluous files - I don't have the proxy problem but like I said, the printer app doesn't now automatically quit like it did in Tiger, I have font and display issues affecting various internet programs - in hindsight I wish I never upgraded until Leopard was up to at least version 4, which is what I did with Tiger. It seems that each new iteration of OS X has heaps of instability issues that really only get settled around the fourth or fifth upgrade... roll on OS X.5.4!

Enjoy the intel iMac - a world of speed compared to the old eMac.

sydbill
17th May 2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions on what printers work well with Leopard? as I may need to purchase another one soon anyway. Currently using Epson of course. I notice the Epson RX 690 has drivers for Leopard as well as the Hewlett Packard C8180??

PatrickH
17th May 2008, 06:46 PM
Brother has a whole webpage dedicated to which drivers are bundled with printers and download links for others. There are a lot of printers available, so that's good.

Brother - Mac OS X 10.5 Support Statement (http://www.brother.com/E-ftp/macosxstate-as.htm)