PDA

View Full Version : Using a Windows keyboard on a Mac

vargz
2nd April 2005, 01:22 PM
Im just wondering what funtionality maybe lost or what considerations need to be made when using a Windows keyboard with a Mac?

Just planning ahead in case I wish to connect a Mac Mini or Powerbook to my Win/PC setup via KVM.

Cheers :)

Jaymz
2nd April 2005, 01:35 PM
This may go without saying, but your keyboard *should* be USB based, as well as your KVM. Most Windows based keyboards and KVMs are based on PS2, nowadays.
Some PS2 to USB converters work, but you may lose meta key (ie, :cmd: key, volume controls, etc) functionality.
The Windows key usually becomes the :cmd: key.
The Alt key usually becomes your Alt/Option key.
If your Windows keyboard has media controls, then the volume keys usually work the same.
Windows keyboards don't have an equivalent eject key - but this can be simulated by holding down F12.
The numeric keypad remains a numeric keypad, and can't switch to a secondary cursor keypad - Numlock translates to the 'Clear' key instead.
If your keyboard is a Logitech keyboard with Mac support, then the "Mac keys" won't function as expected until you install the Logitech Control Center. Microsoft USB keyboards also have Mac software, but installing it isn't mandatory.

BiRDBRAiN
2nd April 2005, 01:46 PM
I've got a Logitech Elite Pro I think they are called.

They come with all the markings for PC, Mac and Sun machines.

Works perfectly on my G3 and iBook.

vargz
2nd April 2005, 04:00 PM
Cool, thanks guys for detailing this for me :)

Maticks
2nd April 2005, 04:29 PM
You will also find that microsoft have support under mac for thier keyboard's and mice here (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=miceandkeyboards)

once you have found the keyboard or mouse you have, click on it and download the software.

You will then find extra functions in system preferences for the button's at the top of the keyboard and scroll wheels, button's on the mice.

p53
2nd April 2005, 04:35 PM
Another thing, the scroll lock and print screen buttons on my Windows keyboard function as the screen brightness controls with my PB.

vargz
2nd April 2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by p53@Apr 2 2005, 04:35 PM
Another thing, the scroll lock and print screen buttons on my Windows keyboard function as the screen brightness controls with my PB.
Now that's just weird! :lol:

Maticks
2nd April 2005, 05:27 PM
keyboards with F13-F16 like the apple pro keyboards will be brightness controlls and backlight keyboard controlls.
i'd guess that since PC's only usually have software that uses up to F12 microsoft have added in F13+ as print controls.

What would be interesting is if you had an apple pro keyboard and see if F13+ would function as the same controls under windows :)

vargz
2nd April 2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Jaymz@Apr 2 2005, 01:35 PM
This may go without saying, but your keyboard *should* be USB based, as well as your KVM. Most Windows based keyboards and KVMs are based on PS2, nowadays.
Some PS2 to USB converters work, but you may lose meta key (ie, :cmd: key, volume controls, etc) functionality.

Im assuming this also applies to KVMs which have KB and mouse ps2 sockets (inputs) which go to a single USB plug (output) for each computer?

neilrobinson
2nd April 2005, 08:10 PM
i use a widows keyboard on my sawtooth... works ok, just have to get use to the key mapping.

I run one 17" monitor off a KVM with a few other pc's that are all PS2, i use a PS2 to USB adaptor (about $15-$25) on the mac. the other monitor is connected to the mac - mainly so i can see whats happening on #apple when i am on the pcs.

All works ok except for the LG dvd burner i installed ejects on startup - not a problem cause i usually have a Cd to chuck in.

neil

p53
3rd April 2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by vargz@Apr 2 2005, 05:18 PM
Now that's just weird! :lol:
Weird but handy.

BTW I know there is a keyboard shortcut to lower & increase overall volume - I have hit it a few times by accident, but I can't for the life of me work out what the key combo is. If anyone knows, please post it. It's driving me nuts.

spargo
3rd April 2005, 05:10 PM
Perhaps consider just buying a USB Apple keyboard now? They reduced the prices just before the release of the Mac Mini to entice people to buy a complete Apple bundle when buying the little box..

I assume they would work fine with a PC until you make the switch. Because you know you will... ;)