PDA

View Full Version : Error # 17540 What to do next ..?

much2much
14th May 2008, 02:06 AM
I am trying to install iStat pro 4.6 , on my new iMac , and after downloading the zip file , on trying to open it .... i get this message..

An error occurred attempting to expand iStat_pro_4.2_zip format error

Error # 17540

Ive tried downloading it from both the Apple widgets and iSlayer.com web sites , but still get the same message ..?

This is the first application I have tried to install on my new iMac

What am I doing wrong..? :(

MacDave
14th May 2008, 06:39 AM
I just downloaded iStat Pro 4.6 from islayer.com and it expanded fine. All you should need to do is simply double click on the file istat_pro_4.6.zip that you download from this page:

iSlayer.com (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7)

If you have further problems expanding that zip file, I suggest you download some other zip files and see if they expand properly just to determine if this is a problem expanding zip files in general.

<edit> After googling your error, it seems to be generated by Stuffit Expander. Use OS X's built in BOMA (archive) expander instead. You can right click on the .zip archive like shown below and expand it:

http://macdave.com/temp/boma.jpg

Dave

marc
14th May 2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, stuffit is definitely the issue here.
(and has been the cause of 100s of support emails!)

much2much
14th May 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your reply's..

Well I am still stuck :( I don't seem to have the option for ... BOMA
Ive looked all through the Imac , and did a Google search which said that BOMA
should be in ... /System/Library/CoreServices/ , but I can't seem to find it ..?

any ideas what I can do next please..?

Thanks

stewiesno1
14th May 2008, 09:33 PM
If you have a two button mouse, you simply do what MacDave suggests- click on the zip file with your right button , select " Open with..."and scroll to the top selection - " Archive Utility ". It should start decompressing straight away. No need to go looking for the app itself.

Stewie

much2much
14th May 2008, 09:53 PM
stewiesno1... Thanks for that , Trust me not to look :o , it was the ''Archive Utility " bit I missed in the first place..

Thanks , much appreciated

iPirate
14th May 2008, 09:57 PM
Do a get-info (:cmd:-i) on the zip file and get it to open with the BOMArchive utility, and change all so that all .zips open with that.

Then google for "The Unarchiver" and that should cover all the other compressed file thingys.