PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro 2.4, 3GB, 10.5.2 Crashing, Please Help!

sgnwsk
12th May 2008, 11:50 PM
Hello Fellow MacTalkers,

I am writing this post to ask you for a help with an issue that is very frustrating to resolve.

To begin with, I have purchased my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ, 3GB, Leopard running notebook about 7 months ago.

Until recently I have discovered that my computer is crashing randomly.

I am not a very tech oriented person, who knows much about console, logs and sorting out the hardware / software related issues.

About 2 months ago I started to experience some random freezes on my computer. Those freezes were occurring on different type of situations so it was hard for me to identify what could be causing the problem. The most common freezing that I have encountered, was and is that my computer screen just freezes and I can't perform any reset or rescue. Simply hard reset.

I started to think that this could be a cause of getting an extra 1GB memory that I purchased from Apple store, and that the memory could be faulty. But just to make sure I have done a clean re-instal of my os. making sure that I have all my permissions everything that could be a "common" cause of any weird behaviors on a mac sorted.

After the reinstall it got even worse.

I decided to take my computer to Apple authorized centre in Sydney broadway NextByte shop.

I explained the problem, asked if that would be possible to check some sort of console logs and track back what could be the cause of the problem that I am experiencing.

I left my computer for 2 weeks in service. And after that 2 weeks they have replied to me saying that they have detected no faulty with the hardware what so ever. I keep on persisting that I understand that the service people have done all the tests on external peripherals, checked the system performance through some kind of testing tools and it resulted with no problem. I rang the Apple complaints department asking if they could do anything about it as I am very worried that this issue won't disappear. They have informed me that there is nothing thay can do and they are basically sending my back home.

I collected my computer 2 days ago and started setting up some programs like adobe and all my apps. At first it was running all well, but then it started (leopard or hardware) to freeze again. On no particular occasion. I had to crashes in 3 hours.

I remembered the time of the crash and after the reboot, I checked my console and here is what I could find:

12/05/08 11:00:07 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10b260.mdworker[1036]) Exited abnormally: Segmentation fault

I don't know if that is related to this post in any way, but as I said at the beginning I have no technical knowledge on where to investigate it further.

I would like to ask you for your recommendation on what should I do next.

I hope there is nothing that I am doing wrong with my computer as I am keeping it organized nad well maintained.

I thought also that that could be overheating related issue so I bought a notebook cooler, but that doesn't seemed to resolve the problem.

I am running out of ideas. Apple won't help me in solving the problem, I am also not sure how should I approach this case from the legal perspective. Can I go to fair traiding institution and ask them for help to enforce apple on returning my money for laptop, should I perform any tasks on my computer to fix the problem with some software.

Help, I am really running out of ideas. I am doing graphic design daily and this problem is driving me crazy.

I would appreciate your feedback or any suggestions on what should I do next.

Sorry for my cracked english. Im still learning my lingo in Australia :)

PLEASE PLEASE, help me on this one.

Kind Regards,

Michael Saganowski
michael@sgnwsk.com

Huy
12th May 2008, 11:59 PM
Test the memory.

Take all of the sticks out, then put one in. Test. Use something like Rember, available here:

Kelley Computing - Rember (http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/)

If it's good, put that aside and keep a note that it is 'good'.

Then test the other stick. If you have problems with that stick, then it's faulty memory.

To me all signs are pointing to faulty memory. Test the modules individually.

sgnwsk
13th May 2008, 12:14 AM
Test the memory.

Take all of the sticks out, then put one in. Test. Use something like Rember, available here:

Kelley Computing - Rember (http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/)

If it's good, put that aside and keep a note that it is 'good'.

Then test the other stick. If you have problems with that stick, then it's faulty memory.

To me all signs are pointing to faulty memory. Test the modules individually.

Thanks for your reply. Seams a littl embarassing, but I have not tested those memories as you suggested. I will certainly do that. What would be your suggestion should I won't find any problem with the memory? any other hardware related problem?

Thanks

sgnwsk

Huy
13th May 2008, 12:18 AM
I reckon it is your memory modules.

Run the memory tests first. Do at least 3 passes. It will take a long time.

Why don't you run the Apple Hardware Test and see? It's on your restore disc/s.

forgie
13th May 2008, 12:35 AM
What graphics chip do you have? If it's an nVidia 8x00 series, you may have been hit by the OpenGL/nVidia/OSX bug:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Display freezing - NVChannel(GL): ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1065674)

If you scroll down the thread a bit (it's very long!) you'll see that the client for folding@home triggers the bug without fail - on my Mac Pro w/ an 8800GT graphics card, it would hang as soon as you opened the program. If you see anything in your Console like this:

NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception!

Then that's your problem. It's a software thing, and it's Apple's fault. They should've released a patch for it, but apparently the fact that people computers are crashing several times a day isn't urgent. I've detailed how to fix the problem in the Apple Discussions thread here (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7147557#7147557).

yinyang
13th May 2008, 12:55 AM
Some more info on Segmentation Faults...

What is the definition of "Segmentation Fault" - Where is... - Q&A (http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-673.html)

could also be an issue with your HDD - Disk Warrior may help identify if it is your HDD, but it's not cheap...

DiskWarrior 4 (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html)

good luck :)