PDA

View Full Version : (URGENT) - Advice on Tiff image copying

77christina
1st April 2005, 11:13 PM
Knowledgable mac peoples,

ADVICE ON TIFF IMAGE COPYING PLEASE!!!!!

I am working with a cultural group who have an extremely important image bank stored on 5 CD disks. The 272 image files are in a TIFF format.

I am meant to be copying these master disks for use by this community. HOWEVER THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH COPYING.

On each disk I seem to be able to copy about 5 images and after this the rest of the
images won't copy.

The error message which comes up is: error code -36

I looked this up on a mac error site which translated it as
File Systems Error -36 10 , err I/0 error
This isn;t a translation for me as I've no idea what it means???????

I only have permission to hold the originals over the weekend. Am afraid the disks
may be corrupted.

What should I do ?

Should I try opening them on a PC could difficulties relate to that. It seems strange that some (about 5 images only , and the first 5 tried in each case) open on each disk ?

Ideas will be very appreciated.

Thank you

purana
1st April 2005, 11:18 PM
If the disks are bad, then they are bad. I've had several dvd's recently burn and appear to work. But then a few weeks later, it wouldn't read at all. And we all know what happened to the data. I lost it.

Hope you have better luck with your media, but I very much doubt you'll recover it.

My advice, buy extremely good media. Especially if the data is important. Further more, make more then one master copy. Maybe atleast 2 or more. Atleast then you got some chance the other copies work.

77christina
1st April 2005, 11:42 PM
Hi, , me again with more info

when I try and open the TIFF images that won't work

through photoshop I get a message saying it

won't open because of a disk error. I can open several

of the same images on the same disk though.

any ideas??????

77christina
1st April 2005, 11:48 PM
Dear Iodine,

thanks you very much for your reply.

Oh dear I hope the bad news isn't it. These are very very

hard to get images from a remote community. Their loss

is a big loss.

Do you make anything of some of the TIFF images working and

others not on the same disks?????

Anything anything at all???

thanks

yinyang
1st April 2005, 11:50 PM
error 36 usually means bad media, whether cd media or hard disk media.

other than trying to clean the discs with something suitable, can you try it on another mac, or another pc as earlier suggesteD?

also if you can make another set of copies from the original source, then try and reduce the speed of the burn to 2X or 4X, and see if the app you're using has any kind of error checking option.

and as iodine has mentioned, use reliable media - i prefer to pay a bit more and use TDK or Sony, though i know some brands are actually rebadged from another OEM supplier.

hope it works out, and welcome to ATAU :)

foonster
1st April 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi 77christina, can you tell us a bit about your Mac set-up? e.g. what OS version, Mac model, memory etc...

What exactly is the nature of the problem? Is it just transferring images from CD's into PhotoShop? Are all CD's presenting the same problem? Are the few images that you can copy always the same? If not, you might have to resort to transferring 5 images at a time as a solution.

I'm not sure you need to be concerned about corrupting the disks. You can only wipe off data (short of using a hammer) from disks if they are re-writeable, and even then you need to make some deliberate menu selections.

Have you tried other image software such as Preview or iPhoto?

Help us help you...

vid
2nd April 2005, 12:55 AM
I had some images that were corrupted some years ago now and they could not be opened in PShop etc, but managed to fix some (not all) of them with Graphic converter.
It came bundled with something I bought but can't remember what it was.
you might find a demo version at http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm

I guess this doesn't help if your discs and no good though.

Good Luck.

77christina
2nd April 2005, 12:55 AM
Dear foonster,

thanks for replying.

I use an IBook. Operating system 10 S10.4.8 Processor MHZ Power PC G3
Memory 640MB.

Everything is fine for usual use of CD's , including burning.

It is just these disks I'm having trouble with. It is a set of 5 disks (laser CD-R Professional 700MB/80 min recordable) which have 272 TIFF images of art works on them. With each single disk I seem to be able to open 4 or 5 images (the first ones on the disk) and then the others don't copy. I have tried opening them individually.

I have tried opening them in several ways. Firstly by just clicking on the icon. This workd for the ones that work and doesn;t for the others. As my main objective is to copy them I've tried this by dragging them into the new folder singly (and as a group). Again works fortheones it does and not for all the others.when it doesn't work the messaeg error code -36 comes up.

I also opened photoshop and tried opening the images through this. Works for happy ones and not for the others.

I alreayd had a go through Iphoto as well. This time I'm not sure I was doing the right thing. Didn't persist but didn;t suceed in opening either.

Onbe more thing.

The person who has lent me the files to copy for the community tried copying them on her PC. Apparently there were troubles with big delays and the computer crashing. The IT guy at my work when I asked him about copying them over advised the dragging them to the desk top approach then burning from there. At that point these other problems with not opening had not emerged.

Thank you so much for your input.

Danamania
2nd April 2005, 12:59 AM
With marginal CDs (ones right on the edge of usability, as these ones seem to be) I find it WELL worth trying in as many drives as possible. My mother's original 7300/200 CDROM barely read *any* burned CDs. a replacement CD burner in it will read most, but not all - including a burned CD sent from a friend in the US - unreadable in my eMac and iMac (both relatively new) but will read fine in that old burner.

How old are the 5 CDs you're trying to extract the images from? I get the impression they're archives of pictures that may be a few years old. If so, trying them in multiple machines (macs and PCs) may be well worth it.

dana

77christina
2nd April 2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks heaps for all the ideas,

The try on losts of machines one is particularly inspiring.

The disks were made in mid 2000 . Does that make them old?

:huh:

Danamania
2nd April 2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by 77christina@Apr 2 2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks heaps for all the ideas,

The try on losts of machines one is particularly inspiring.

The disks were made in mid 2000 . Does that make them old?

:huh:
For some brand CDs burned in some burners, 5 years is indeed getting on a bit. CDRs aren't quite as reliable for long term storage as they're made out to be, although a combination of buying only high quality blank media, and burning at a slower speed is meant to help. For many, exposure to UV light also ages the media.

dana

foonster
2nd April 2005, 01:59 AM
I concur with other posters. Your problem seems to stem from your CD drive not being able to read the same parts of your discs, instead of a software glitch that causes the CD drive to randomly misread. This could be due to a bad sector on the disk or scratches on the surface, causing the laser pickup to constantly re-align itself in an attempt to read the data. This is usually characterized by a repetitive mechanical sound from the CD drive, or a loud whirring sound from the CD drive as it changes rotational speed trying to 'hunt' down the data.

dana's suggestion of trying different (preferably older) CD drives on other PC's or Mac's is definitely worth a go. My eight year old PowerMac 5500 can read CD's that my newer iMac or eMac don't like. Five years is not that old for CD-R's. A reasonable quality CD-R should last many years. A careful inspection for scratches or stuck on grime is worth a go.

In the meantime you could try iPhoto again. Select 'Import...' from the 'File' menu, and click on the CD symbol in the selection panel that appears.

Or, on your Desktop, double click on your CD symbol to open it. A file window of the CD should appear. Select the 'as Columns' option in the 'View' menu (or just press :cmd: and 3 together) to choose a column view of your CD files. If your CD drive is working properly you should be able to see a mini preview of the images in the right hand column as you click the corresponding filenames.

Last but not least, you can try the Preview application to open your images. (BTW Preview should be in your Applications folder)

Good luck

MacNut
2nd April 2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by 77christina@Apr 2 2005, 12:55 AM

The person who has lent me the files to copy for the community tried copying them on her PC. Apparently there were troubles with big delays and the computer crashing. The IT guy at my work when I asked him about copying them over advised the dragging them to the desk top approach then burning from there. At that point these other problems with not opening had not emerged.

Considering your comment about the prior attempts by the owners of the discs I am afraid I must agree with earlier comments. Your cd's are most likely corrupted. A common reaction with wintel PC's and corrupted cd's is that they hang and/or crash. :(

titan44
2nd April 2005, 07:29 AM
I agree with Danamania, try to run it on an oldish drive e.g. s sony dru-500A, the read quaility on those drives are exellent.

Currawong
2nd April 2005, 08:03 AM
My wife's iBook doesn't like many CD's and DVD's, I'd definitely be trying on a few different machines of different ages as others have suggested.

geektechnu
2nd April 2005, 08:10 AM
How's the condition of the discs themselves - any scratches? A lot of people use to clean CDs in a circular manner (you may me able to see circular polishishing marks runing around the cd) - this will destroy CRC information on the CD.

I'd say try a couple of different drives - especially older, slower drives.

If you have access to PC, try the excellent isobuster (http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/) it can read CDs in RAW mode and can make multiple attempts to access a file before giving up. Process may be quite slow though.

If the CD has deep scratchesthat you can see through, or many many small scratches, data may be lost. If there are no visible scratches, the dye layer inside the CD is probably degrading - there is not mush you can do about this.

Last option, head down to a few video stores and ask if they have a DiskDoctor (http://www.diskdoctor.com.au/sections/retail_shop/commercial_shop/twosingles/) poslishing machine. My local BlockBuster has one and will let you use it for a few bucks per disc. These machines are very good.

...or pay a data recovery company to try and extract some data.

If you manage to get some data off the discs, back them up to some high-quality CDRs asap.

Good luck.