PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook?

queshy
1st April 2005, 01:39 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a notebook to go to school with (want to replace my 9 pound win xp notebook) I will be coming home everyday where I Have a very powerful PC with all of the amenities. I've been a PC user all my life. I just need a notebook thats very small (fit in my bag), I won't be doign any gaming since I have my PC at home for that, I'll need a cd-rw/dvd rom, don't care about screen size, I just need it to do typing projects, email, internet browsing (wireless) and for watching dvds.

I was lookign at the dell inspiron 700m, which is very nice and has what I want, but it has a 2 hr batery life and from whatI hear isn't too sturdy.
Then the 12" powerbook caught my eye! It has a nice size hard drive and all the features I want, however, I'm concerned as some people said it's really heavy (4.6 lbs??) and isn't that small. Also, I'm converned with compatibility, I need office and office mac is expensive, even with student discounts. Other than that Ican't think of any other software I'd need...Print shop maybe for MAC. I'll need adobe reader and msn which I know are both available for MAC. Anythign else? As I said , i just need it for doing school work and dvd watching , for the rest, I have my powerful (p4 3.2 ht w/ 250 gb hd w/ media centre) at home.

So what do you think of the 12" powerbook? Can someone post me some mpore pictures, as I 've only found very few (and only on this site) of real life situations (ondesk..) the rest the powerbook is on a white background and can't compare much - size is really important for me. So what's the verdict? I managed to get a 12" pweorbook down to 1700 CAD w/ student discount.

BiRDBRAiN
1st April 2005, 01:50 PM
I think for school an ibook is much better value.

Also being a bit biased because I have one for sale, but there are a couple for sale at the moment in the trading forums.

With plenty of memory I think you wouldn't see much benefit over a powerbook with an ibook.

queshy
1st April 2005, 02:16 PM
BiRDBRAiN,
The reason why I like the powerbook is because the dimensions are smaller and it's made of aluminum :D

MacV
1st April 2005, 02:31 PM
Queshy:

I bought a PowerBook 12" as my workplace said the didn't look too professional (being that I do alot of presentations and stuff to my clients). But actually for the use you want it you'd be better served with the iBook which also is more rugged that the PB (a litle too fragile if you ask me). There's really nothing that a PB can do which an iBook can't. Plus iBooks are more cheaper. Don't quote me on this but the PowerBooks are soon to be revised. So yeah get the iBook.

OziMac
1st April 2005, 02:33 PM
If you want a good value and cheap desktop with decent battery life, Birdbrain is right, the iBook is far more suited to your needs.

I'm assuming you're in Canada right? You'd be far better off checking out the Powerbooks (and iBooks) at an Apple Store if you want to get a feel for size. The Powerbook really isn't that much smaller, and the iBook is far less fragile than the Powerbook making it better suited to being put in schoolbags etc.

Also, Office for Mac is in fact very reasonably priced, especially with the student discounts, rebates and student OEMs available at the moment. I doubt you'd need anything else for schoolwork.

In fact, the iBook is the perfect laptop, if you do need one for school. You certainly don't 'need' a Powerbook for any of that stuff :)

geektechnu
1st April 2005, 02:44 PM
Just got these figures for the new iBooks/PBs from everymac.com

12" PB: 1.18 x 10.9 x 8.60" - 4.6lb
12" iB: 1.35 x 11.2 x 9.06" - 4.9lb

Either of these should fit in your bag fine. If you're not going to be utilizing the full power of the PowerBook, then you're paying a LOT extra for minimal space/weight savings.

The aluminium sure PB looks nice, but the iBook really is very durable. Either way, you'd want to get a laptop sleeve to protect it from scratches and small bumps.

Kildare
1st April 2005, 02:44 PM
Another vote for the iBook.
Only had it a few days & after checking out some PowerBooks yesterday @ Myer I don't have any regrets. :)

Probably worth adding an extra 256MB of RAM though - although you don't "need" it

nicwithsticks
1st April 2005, 02:50 PM
I too would reccomend the iBook, dewspite the fact that I'm typing this from a 12" PowerBook. Dont get me wrong, its a nice machine and it looks great... most of the time. As people have said though, it isn't as durable as the iBook.

Being a uni student myself, I travel daily with my PB, and even though I have a notebook backpack, it still has bumps in it and stuff. Go with the iBook, although wait a few weeks if you can, apparently updates are around the corner.

Although I say, if you need it now then get one, you wont regret it, just make sure you get more RAM because 256 isnt enough fo OS X IMO.

queshy
1st April 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys.
I've actually done a lot of research, and the powerbook seems to be getting much better reviews than it is here :S

I will also be using the notebook to view very large pdf files, and working with Print Shop ( I don't know if any of you are familiar with that program, it's sort of a publishing thing, but not like photoshop)

The only thing I am worried abotu with the ibook is the lack of "muscle" I don't want the mahcine to ever lag; that's why I have a p4. 3.2 HT at home.
Also, I've configured the ibook and the powerbook (both with 768 mb ram, cdrw...etc.) and the powerbook is only about 50$ more, and htis is with student discounts. Moreover, the ibook has been around for a while and the powerbooks have just been refreshed (rev D).
Should I still get the iBook? And the size really is crucial to me, I'll be doing a lot of walking and etc - it won't always be on the desk so portability is a huge factor.

All in all, should I just forget the p/i book and getr the 700m?

OziMac
1st April 2005, 03:06 PM
Okay, let's clarify - the Powerbook may be getting good reviews, but that's very different from it being best suited to your needs, which seems to be what you were asking initially - namely, what we thought of the Powerbook for your needs. And our asnwers are almost universal in suggesting that yes, it's good, but the iBook is a far better match - and if you want to compare sizes, you're much better off seeing them in person at an Apple Store.

The current iBook (notwithstanding the one that will be released very soon) is so near in performance to the Powerbook it's not funny. The minimal performance benefits you will get from a Powerbook a certainly not worth the trade offs in price and hardiness that would be relevant in your circumstances. In addition, if you're only using it for Office, web browsing and PDF viewing, the iBook will be more than up to the task (and the performance difference will be even less noticeable). Finally, if you're already carrying a schoolbag with a laptop in it, 0.3 pounds will not really lighten your load noticeably - and the iBook would weather the bag carrying for better than the Powerbook.

But the choice is yours - if you want a Powerbook, don' t listen to us - just go and get it! :)

(I certainly would not recommend the Dell for the tasks you've described, unless you want to court the possibility of a last-minute Murphy's Law crash/error - many of which I encountered during my own school time).

queshy
1st April 2005, 03:17 PM
Does the iMac do spanning ( across 2 monitors) I know that I will also be doing that, as I for some reason have some sparem onitors ...
I don't think I mentionned that I will be using the iLife software A LOT, pictures, music, videos (NO EDITING, just viewing) But as you described it, the pb may not make a difference
Also, I do own warcraft 3 and the sims, and it would be nice to play them sometimes when on break, but it's not a necessity. This is one thing that turned me off with the 700 m - integrated graphics -yuck.
I know that the pb has 64 mb dedicated while the ibook has 32 ( is that correct?) I know that this will make a difference when viewing photos/videos...etc. I'm sure it will help if I do decide t o play some games. Of course, I am not buying it for gaming, otherwise i'd Obviously go for PC. When wil the ibook be refreshed? WHen it does, what will some of the new features be? Also, I was browsing around the forums...really great site...and I saw someone comapred the ibook to the powerbook. The ibook is noticeably thicker, imo, and larger too (both were 12) The 14 ibook also appears collosal compared to the 12!

Chr1s
1st April 2005, 03:25 PM
The 700m has 2 hours battery life? I wouldn't get it purely for that reason, nevermind the whole pbook/ibook thing.

OziMac
1st April 2005, 03:29 PM
Look, it's pretty obvious you want the Powerbook - just get it!

queshy
1st April 2005, 03:33 PM
lol, sorry OziMac, i never really considered an ibook until now - you people have helped a lot!
Also, Chr1s, on average with out the extended battery which JETS otu of the back a few inches and is awkward, you'll get around 2 - 2.5 hrs, which is really crappy.

So ya, it is obvious I want the powerbook, but you have some good arguments. The lower performance of the ibook seems too low, even if I don't do any of that fancy video editing. Either one of them is very expensive imo, since I make 8$ / h!!
just a question though, am I correct that the bluetooth on the ibook is an option while on the pb it comes standard?
lol, it forsure WONT sync with my pocket pc or communicate at all right?It's ok my phone has bt...

So are you saying it is a mistake getting the powerbook?

BiRDBRAiN
1st April 2005, 03:38 PM
I have 1.2GHz ibook with 768MB it runs great.

I am a professional web designer and developer and I run lots of apps at the same time.

I went from working on a HP centrino based laptop to this and this was also my concern. Believe me with extra memory my ibook is booted up and running stuff much faster than other people around me.

So I wouldn't be worried about the 'grunt' factor.

I spend about 15 minutes on my Windoze desktop when I'm in the office and I am straight back onto my ibook for work.

I use the screen spanning hack, but I think if that is a MAJOR concern I think the powerbook would do this better.

queshy
1st April 2005, 03:38 PM
And also, I'm sure you guys would know this...there was this mac store in my area ( live in quebec, canada) and my mom went there to get an ipod case (yes i will probably be one of those windows people who buy ipods then switch to mac...) and it was shut down. I'm sure there are other mac stores in Montreal, do you know of a site that will locate one?

suryo
1st April 2005, 03:39 PM
Does the iMac do spanning ( across 2 monitors) I know that I will also be doing that, as I for some reason have some sparem onitors ...

There is a hack that enables spanning on an iBook.

Also, I've configured the ibook and the powerbook (both with 768 mb ram, cdrw...etc.) and the powerbook is only about 50$ more, and htis is with student discounts.

Don't know where you got that pricing from, but with EDU pricing on the Australian Store, for both machines configured with 60GB/768MB and bluetooth, the difference is $385.

Kildare
1st April 2005, 03:39 PM
It seems like your requirements have gone from browsing, office & DVDs to Printshop & now onto games. :unsure:

I think you need to actually sit down & figure out what you will be using it for.

The iBook does not officially support spanning but it can be enabled...
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html
...tested it myself & it works fine. :)

OziMac
1st April 2005, 03:45 PM
You'll find somewhere to buy here - http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/

Also, I'm definitely not saying it's a mistake to get the Powerbook. I've owned two 12 inch Powerbooks and think they're a fantastic machine. I had a 12 inch iBook G3 back in the day, but have recently bought a 12 inch iBook G4 for my family. They are all great, you will not regret getting any of them :)

queshy
1st April 2005, 03:45 PM
Suryo, --> I'm on the canadian website, with a student discount.
Kildare, I really understnad what I will be using it for; to me , Printshop is sort of "office" its not photoshop at all. I'm going to CEGEP next year, still a "kid" sort of - who doesn't like to play the occasional game ( :D) even though I have my PC for that.
The reason why I am concerned is because I'm a multi tasker, and on my PC, I will have msn, itunes, media centre TV, word, PRINTSHOP (lol) , a few firefox tabs, a JPEG diagram, and sometimes even Pagemaker (although Next year I won't need pagemaker). I know that doing this is very ram and CPU intensive.

queshy
1st April 2005, 03:53 PM
^Sorry pressed enter.

About gaming, I definitely do not want a notebook for that, but I'd definitely install one or two, why not? You never know when you might be bored somewhere stuck, with nothing else to do.

BiRDBRAiN
1st April 2005, 04:00 PM
I think with enough memory either the ibook or powerbook will do the job.

Minimum I like to have 768MB in my laptops. If you can afford the extra memory, get an ibook with 1.2GB RAM instead of a powerbook with less LOL.

End of the day I suppose it depends how much you want to spend. My ibook was my first Mac purchase so I didn't want to spend as much as I have on my Windoze laptops, but I gotta say for what it does, it is a heck of a lot more stable with multi-tasking than my Windoze laptop.

</rant>

OFF TOPIC: Thank God appletalk is here to stay :D

queshy
1st April 2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Why the heck is having 1.2 GB ram sooo expensive, from 512 to 768 not that much, but then to 1.2 its insane&#33; I think it&#39;s because theres 2 x 512. I read somewhere that 512 megs in an apple machine is like 1 gb in a windows..is that true?
Since the upgrade from 512 to 768 isnt thatm uch, I&#39;ll probably go for it. Unfortunately, I&#39;ve met a 17" powerbook in person. I really liked the construction. I have yet to see a 12" though, I have seen a 12" ibook. Another thing I don&#39;t like about the ibook is the off white color : eww, well that&#39;s just my personal preference . I am sure they are both spectacular machines, and I know I&#39;ll be happy with either one. I&#39;d probably also be happy with a windows laptop, but I &#39;ve heard such great things about OS X, it&#39;s time to try it. I know you think I should go with the ibook, but I really think the pb suits my needs more. Even if I&#39;m not doing naything intensive such as video editing, graphic design, or gaming (mid/heavy), I like the powerbook for the extra FSB and speed. The built in bluetooth is nice, and overall it seems like a good package. Although you have made me look into the ibook more, which I am doing. Hopefulyl byu the time I get it (June - graduation present&#33;), TIGER will be out, although I know it&#39;s not a huuuge revolution or anything.

jerrah
1st April 2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 03:17 PM
I know that the pb has 64 mb dedicated while the ibook has 32 ( is that correct?) I know that this will make a difference when viewing photos/videos...etc.
Beyond the screen resolution and colour depth (that even 8mb would be sufficient), why would you need 64mb of video ram over 32 to view video let alone view pictures?

How do you figure it&#39;s going to make a difference?

Games - (especially 3d games) sure load up the ram, but pictures?

suryo
1st April 2005, 04:30 PM
Queshy - Just checked the Canadian Apple Store EDU prices. &#036;325 the difference when both machines are configured with 768MB/60GB/BT.

Also, the reason 1GB is expensive is that both machines have only one RAM slot plus 256MB built-in. If you get an iBook, get your RAM from a third party supplier - Apple rip us off on RAM. Especially the 1GB modules. If you look around you should be able to find a good quality 1GB SO-DIMM for around CN&#036;300-320, so you could get an iBook 1.25GB/60GB/BT for &#036;1650-1700 all up (about &#036;200 less than the Powerbook with 768MB)

iMick
1st April 2005, 04:33 PM
Only the powerbook does monitor spanning out of the box. Apple have crippled that feature with the iBook probably to justify the price difference. However this is a monitor spanning script that you can get of the net that enables spanning on the iBook. I have used it for ages and it works sweet. Also means you can save money to.

You cannot buy a better value 12" lappy than the ibook or powerbook. I would be leaning toward s the ibook from my experience because they are so cheap atm and are a lot more durable. The polycarbonate scratches like a biatch but it is absolutely indestructo. The powerbooks are still more rugged than any windowslappy my old man&#39;s 12" PB gets taken everywhere my ibook does and works great but where he has dints, i have scratches.

Ed01
1st April 2005, 04:33 PM
I was in the same position about a month ago. I ended up getting the powerbook as my first mac as it had the features I needed and that I wanted to have the ability to play some games on it (mainly Myst 4). The iBook, in my opinion, doesn&#39;t look as good as the powerbooks.

jerrah
1st April 2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 04:07 PM
Why the heck is having 1.2 GB ram sooo expensive, from 512 to 768 not that much, but then to 1.2 its insane&#33;
256mb is cheaper than 512mb. 512mb is cheaper than a 1Gb stick.

768 = 512 + 256, I presume 1.2Gb is 1024 + 256.

Looking at Crucial.com (US prices)

The Crucial site says the 12" G4 powerbook has a non-removable 256mb stick and 1 user servicable slot..

1Gb = US &#036;365.99
512mb = US &#036;85.99
256mb = US &#036;39.99

Even in US dollars I think that&#39;s self explaining.

queshy
1st April 2005, 04:46 PM
Ed01, I agree with you that the pb looks nicer, but it&#39;s hard to base a decision on which notebook to buy on looks.
As of now, I&#39;m very confused&#33; SOme people are saying get the ibook and otehr people (from other forums) are saying to go for the powerbook&#33; I do trust you because you knowe much more about MACS then I do.

Am I wrong that more video ram is better if I hook up the machine to projectors frequently? Or to large monitors?
By the way, that spanning hack reminds me of SE_VGA for VGA handhelds, if any of you know what I am referring to.

Anyways, the off-white really doesn&#39;t appeal to me even thoguh it is cheaper. The only difference between teh two models is
a) the size (which is important, even if it&#39;s 0.5 lbs ; the smaller form factor is much more efficient for fitting it into small spaces.
B) Speed, the powerbook is faster, and when running programs I know it will be faster
c) Looks&#33; I prefer the design of the powerbook.
d) Price: powerbook is more expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for ^ ^
e) integrated bluetooth on powerbook is standard, although it is only 50&#036; to add into ibook.
f) Overall technology; I knwo that the powerbook has just been refreshed while the ibook is still an older model, I hope the ibook doesnt get refreshed anytime soon, then my decision will just be harder to make&#33;

Your arguments are very convincing; for the price, teh ibook seems to be a better value. To me, the biggest difference is the weight and size, i&#39;ve seen comparion pics between 12" ibook and powerbook, and the powerbook is noticeably trimmer. 4.6 pounds isnt the LIGHTEST, but then when you get to 4.9-5.0 pounds, it gets heavier.
Is the ibook really more durable? Isn&#39;t it plastic?
What I find a bummer is that the 14" ibook offers the same resolutuion as the 12 ". How is the 1024x768 on MAC OS?
What about the screens. I&#39;ve read in some forums that the powerbook is noticeably brighter. Any comments?
Also, does any one have experience with DVD playback on ibooks? I know that on some laptops (particularly windows ones) dvd playback gets choppy. I cewrtainly DO NOT want this. And finnaly, what about audio? How can the two machines be comepared audio wise? I will bge using headphones.

I&#39;m really sorry about all the questions: I just want to make the right decision and I know you all know way more about MACS then I do. I want this to be a good, solid purchase and get the best value for my hard earned &#036;&#036;. THanks&#33;&#33;

geektechnu
1st April 2005, 04:47 PM
Queshy - Gaming on a laptop?

I&#39;d have to highly recommend console & arcade emulation.
Being able to play SNES games on the road rocks&#33; Show those GBA fanboys who&#39;s boss&#33;

queshy
1st April 2005, 04:52 PM
keektechnu,
Is there an SNES emulator for MAC? Gaming really isn&#39;t a priority - DS and PC will handle that &#33; I am considering a MAC for its stability and simplicity; I&#39;ll be using it for school and really dont want it to crash when in the middle of something . Even on my PC I get "This program has stopped responding --&#62; ENd TasK&#33;&#33;" ARGGGG I despise that. Just stops whatever you&#39;re doing. Even my pocket PC does that&#33;~&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; How sick would a MAC pda be...

jerrah
1st April 2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 04:46 PM
Am I wrong that more video ram is better if I hook up the machine to projectors frequently? Or to large monitors?

Are you going to be running ultra high resolutions on these projectors and/or large monitors? My (old dell) laptop has 16mb of video ram and quite happily runs 1400x1050 resolution on the LCD and will drive an external monitor at the same time at much higher resolutions at the same time.

My home pc has a video card with 256mb of video ram, I thought that was crazy but it was the cheapest card for what I wanted at the time.

Point being - 32mb will be fine. Spanning to another screen or running ultra high resolutions on an external screen will require video ram, but certainly not pushing your 32mb or let alone 64mb. If your games are loading textures and rending 3d you will use more video ram.

jerrah
1st April 2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 04:52 PM
How sick would a MAC pda be...
Like a Newton? ;)

queshy
1st April 2005, 04:59 PM
jerrah, thanks - so 32 would be fine for running off a projector. And 256 is nice&#33; I have 128 pci express.

Heh I remember the newton, I meant a modern one. Someone I knew had one, this thing was a brick and you had to plug it in to use it. At the time it was like WOAH&#33;&#33;&#33;

You have to admit though, the 64mb ram is certainly nice to have, even if at the moment it isn&#39;t used for gaming.

jerrah
1st April 2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 04:59 PM
jerrah, thanks - so 32 would be fine for running off a projector. And 256 is nice&#33; I have 128 pci express.

Heh I remember the newton, I meant a modern one. Someone I knew had one, this thing was a brick and you had to plug it in to use it. At the time it was like WOAH&#33;&#33;&#33;

You have to admit though, the 64mb ram is certainly nice to have, even if at the moment it isn&#39;t used for gaming.
We still use Newtons at work, and I have an original 100 at home.

(we use 2000 and 2100&#39;s).. The batteries last for a fair while - not much use in the field without batteries. :)

I don&#39;t think you&#39;d see much difference between 32 and 64 unless driving higher resolutions - but I think with the new core image it may be more important?

queshy
1st April 2005, 05:04 PM
Nah, I&#39;m sure the 64 doesn&#39;t make a difference...at least to the human eye. As long as both machines have vga adapters included that&#39;s fine, and they do.
Jerrah, would you say ibook or powerbook?

nicwithsticks
1st April 2005, 05:27 PM
It seems pretty obvious that you want a poewrbook man&#33; Even though I recomended the iBook before, if you get a PB you wont regret it. Especially he new rev D models. I love my powerbook and couldnt live without it these days.

I was facing the same decsion as you and eventually went the PB for its better looks, higher CPU clock, better video card and superior keyboard. But hey, its up to you.

By the looks of your posts tho you want the PB, just bite the bullet&#33; :D

queshy
1st April 2005, 05:30 PM
hsvguy: YES I DO WANT THE POWERBOOK&#33;

I am just tryign to properly make a decision sothat I won&#39;t regret not getting an ibook. I like weighing all my options&#33;

Is the Powerbook keyboard better than the iBook one??
If it is, I&#39;m sold, since I will be typing a lot, but in what way is it different?&#33;

Also , Ralph Wiggum rules&#33;

nicwithsticks
1st April 2005, 05:35 PM
Ralf does rule&#33;

lol.

I tested the iBook keyboard only for a few minutes in store and found the PB one to be better. A few people i have spoken to say the same. I cant specifically say what&#39;s different about it, I just foudnd it nicer, smoother to type on then the iBook one.

hope your purchase goes well&#33;

queshy
1st April 2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks&#33; GL with your powerbook.
I will most likely be getting it in June, for my graduation&#33; Do you see any updates on teh way?

nicwithsticks
1st April 2005, 05:42 PM
Considering the fact that there were recently updates, i doubt we&#39;ll be seing any too soon. New iBooks are due for release soon though, so hopefully that doesnt re-complicate the situation. :)

queshy
1st April 2005, 05:45 PM
So when TIger comes out, they won&#39;t refresh teh powerbook line? Will it be worth teh 100-odd &#036; ?
Yes, the new ibooks will recomplicate it, especially if they make it smaller and change the color of it...lol. I also notice d your time is 5:42 pm? Where are you ?

nicwithsticks
1st April 2005, 05:47 PM
Melbourne in Australia, getting ready for a friday night out :D

The current PB&#39;s are already fully Tiger spec&#39;d. The only change that will be made to them after the Tiger release is that they&#39;ll come with Tiger installed instead of Panther.

queshy
1st April 2005, 05:49 PM
wait up, the current pb&#39;s can support tiger, I know that, but lets say I buy one and the next day Tiger comes out, I&#39;ll have to pay for that , right?

AUSTRALIA&#33; Wow&#33; I&#39;m all the way in Quebec, Canada&#33; Friday night&#33;&#33; lol,
its 2:52 AM now, friday (it turned friday at 12 am )

p53
1st April 2005, 06:19 PM
queshy,
In the past, Apple have offered free upgrades to people who bought their machines 2 weeks prior to release date. As yet, I don&#39;t think we know if they will do this for Tiger. They did have a similar program for iLife 05, so I can&#39;t see why they wouldn&#39;t do it for Tiger as well.
If you can afford a PB, then go for it. iBooks are great too, but like you, I think PBs are just that much better.

queshy
1st April 2005, 06:24 PM
p53, whe ndo you think tiger will be released?
And 2ndly , Powerbooks are expensive, but their price difference isnt that big compared to a windows centrino laptop (comparible one)

Ed01
1st April 2005, 06:32 PM
What it comes down to is what you think you need in your mac. For me 64mb graphics card, faster FSB, Sudden motion sensor was the thngs that sold me on the 12" powerbook over the 12" iBook

p53
1st April 2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 06:24 PM
p53, whe ndo you think tiger will be released?
And 2ndly , Powerbooks are expensive, but their price difference isnt that big compared to a windows centrino laptop (comparible one)
queshy,

Well, according to the rumour mill, Tiger will be released around the end of April. Maybe I&#39;m just being pessimistic, but I don&#39;t think it will hit the shelves till May. In any case it should be in the first half of 2005, so there isn&#39;t too long to wait, unless of course you need a computer right now. it&#39;d be annoying to miss the free upgrade by a day or two.

True, I believe a PB is worth every cent, especially now the price has dropped quite a bit and there are more and better features.

p53.

queshy
1st April 2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks. I&#39;ll be getting it in May (mid) . Do you thing it&#39;ll be out by then?

tranp
1st April 2005, 08:47 PM
Get the PB, you won&#39;t regret it. Heck, I would&#39;ve got one instead of the iBook if they were cheaper when I was looking at at notebooks.

p53
2nd April 2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by queshy@Apr 1 2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks. I&#39;ll be getting it in May (mid) . Do you thing it&#39;ll be out by then?
I think it will be, at least I hope it will be.