PDA

View Full Version : Internet Peaks, 1.56MB!

Lachie
9th May 2008, 12:12 AM
hey,
i have bandwidth throttling turned on when using transmission. it turns off at 12am to take advantage of off peak downloads. When it turned off tonight i noticed it went from zeroKB suddenly to 1.56MB in the space of a millisecond then within about 2minutes it had witled down to 100kb. What could Be causing this? And why dosnt it always download at 1.56mb, obviously its capable of doing so. and id much prefer it did ;)

have a look at the top right hand corner of below picture.

cheers

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/dmrdjer/1.jpg

snark
9th May 2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe I don't understand the question properly, but you haven't told us what sort of internet connection you have, and what speed it is. Without knowing that, it's hard to guess.

tcn33
9th May 2008, 07:00 PM
I've noticed the same thing recently. Something is borked in the way the newer versions of Transmission calculate download speeds. If you've got iStat menus (yay!) or MenuMeters (boo!) installed, you'll see that you're not actually getting 1.56MBps.

Rasta
9th May 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah.. having the same issue with Transmission.

Charges up to crazy speeds then ramps down to zero... iStats states that I'm cracking along all the time though...

(you sure are downloading alot of stuff there... all videos?? :p)

Lachie
9th May 2008, 07:45 PM
(you sure are downloading alot of stuff there... all videos?? :p)

And dad wonders why our downloads are used in less than 14 days :rolleyes:

Yer a couple of seasons of tv shows, some Dragonball and a library of loops.

our internet connection is the Yes 'POWER' plan with optus 20Gb on, 40 off. One of the good plans before uploads were counted (thank god, that would do detremental things to my ratio)

EDIT: YAY FOR iSlayer!!! Woot!

ilostmypassword
9th May 2008, 07:45 PM
Transmission is just terribly buggy- there is your problem.

bljpoad
9th May 2008, 07:51 PM
a few months ago while I was overseas I was pulling 4 or 5 MBs on a certain uni's network (a place where they didn't particularly care what you were downloading, they just didn't like you uploading much, the IT guy told me as much :)). That was when I realised what the true potential of channel BT was!

Lachie
9th May 2008, 08:00 PM
a few months ago while I was overseas I was pulling 4 or 5 MBs on a certain uni's network (a place where they didn't particularly care what you were downloading, they just didn't like you uploading much, the IT guy told me as much :)). That was when I realised what the true potential of channel BT was!

if only such internet was available here :(

denwol
9th May 2008, 08:38 PM
it is, i know flinders uni in adelaide have damn fast connection