PDA

View Full Version : Apple branded mobile phone..

Atomic
1st April 2005, 02:16 AM
Im not going to give you the clichè "I heard from a good source" spiel so ill just tell you what I know (please dont ask).

Apple will be releasing a branded phone in the coming months (perhaps WWDC) something alot of the mac community has been drooling over for a while. :D

It's rumoured to contain: large 256k colour screen :thumbup:
512Mb of internal storage
expandable memory slot (media format unknown)
itunes functionality
bluetooth
AAC/MP3/MP4 capable
1.3mp camera with 3x zoom (video capable) :o
not sure what it will be called but 'AppleTalk' has not been ruled out which is a bit of a coincidence really - The forums might have an actual Apple product named after them :) Yeah I know AppleTalk is already part of MacOS but on a phone it just sounds right!
Thats all I know for now. If I find out anything more I will post it here. :ph34r:

mullet
1st April 2005, 02:51 AM
It will be called an AppleTalk. I've just emailed Disko about it.

Danamania
1st April 2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Atomic@Apr 1 2005, 02:16 AM

large 256k colour screen :thumbup:

512Mb of internal storage

expandable memory slot (media format unknown)

itunes functionality

bluetooth

AAC/MP3/MP4 capable

1.3mp camera with 3x zoom (video capable) :o

not sure what it will be called but 'AppleTalk' has not been ruled out

Silly question - does it have a phone?

dana

foonster
1st April 2005, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by mullet@Apr 1 2005, 03:51 AM
It will be called an AppleTalk. I've just emailed Disko about it.
If this is true mullet, it's probably why Apple is taking legal action against this site, to protect the 'AppleTalk' trademark. And perhaps that could partly explain Motorola's sudden decision to hold back introducing their iTunes compatible cell-phones.

Mmmm... and it could also mean Apple may have plans for the 'AppleTalk' trademark in Australia in the near future! And which may be connected to the ITMS Australia delay.

Hobart
1st April 2005, 06:38 AM
fuck i just bought my new cell phone, i just got home from the cingular store with my phone (moterolla v551) and i see this, thats one shit load of a buzz kill. oh well at least its a upgrade from my old phone

titan44
1st April 2005, 07:37 AM
bugger!, i too also just got a moto V3.

Ozi
1st April 2005, 08:17 AM
Hmmm I can see why Apple Australia want the domain now! :o

AppleTalk would be a great name for an Apple phone, and with that as the rumoured name, it would mean a lot of associated traffic to appletalk.com.(country) domain names. Apple probably don't want us getting the benefit of all that, and instead want to route the domain to something on http://www.apple.com/ like they do with http://www.ipod.com/

:(

iSlayer
1st April 2005, 08:18 AM
makes sense.
guess it not an april fools joke.

uncyherb
1st April 2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by danamania@Apr 1 2005, 02:53 AM

Silly question - does it have a phone?

dana
Haha!

noisypoppy
1st April 2005, 09:06 AM
doesn't seem that fantastic considering the other phones about.
I don't think I'd buy one unless there was a CDMA model...oooh unless it SMELLED like apples!

but yes, it'll probably be ultra sexy like every other damn apple product and I'll cry because I don't have one :{/=

oh yes I, like two users before me, just bought a new mobile phone...Kyocera KOI

Goodbye
1st April 2005, 09:10 AM
Nooo! I bought a new Motorola E398 a few months ago! :o

It can't be true.

iMick
1st April 2005, 09:47 AM
I don't buy it. Appletalk is the stupidest name for a mobile phone ever! Not catchy enough to get the yuppies to buy them in droves like the iPod. I would be betting my money on iPhone or somesuch.

the_OM
1st April 2005, 11:27 AM
nice try.... was this good source "a friend of a friend's dad who knows this guy whose uncle's sister-in-law works at Apple told me"?

No way Apple would call it Appletalk....... the brand momentum that they have right now is with the iPod, so it would be a play on the i part or something like iPod phone (in line with iPod photo and iPod mini).

matttt88
1st April 2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah i also dont think they would call it AppleTalk, For one its too long and also nowhere near cool enough.

I may buy one, Finally a phone that supports OSX, I hope :P

If i were to buy it, It needs to be a flip, expandable memory, external LCD screen either colour or black and white, Fast firmware and a nice high res colour screen inside. I bet we could see a nice long battery life in them too.

Matt.

bdanielb
1st April 2005, 12:21 PM
The Apple phone sounds ok, I dont think its going to be anything too special. Motorola phones imo arent that good, crappy menus, unreliable, usually bad design (tho V3 is cool).

A bit off the point but a real good phone to check out and wait for is the Sony Ericsson W800i.... mp3 player, 2 mgapixel camera, 262k colour screen, 512mb memory stick (expandable to 2 gig), bla bla bla... look at:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=au&...m=pp1&pid=10245 (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=au&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10245&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10245)

stevejay
1st April 2005, 01:54 PM
Right, we're suckered again, people. This one's BS for sure.

Atomic
1st April 2005, 02:38 PM
Yes, yes this thread was created to add fuel to Disko's Appletalk infringement hoax. Dont blame me - blame him :ph34r: :unsure:

zefi
1st April 2005, 06:35 PM
Oh, right...

I thought you were referring to the Motorola phone that has been, possibly, put on the back burner owing to the carriers not wanting to give Apple even more music download dominance. If you look at what they charge you per kb rate and for other services, you can understand why they are concerned.