PDA

View Full Version : Updating OS w/o optical drive

tintinaujapon
5th May 2008, 01:09 PM
A friend is dying to update his old iMac to 10.4 so that he can use the new iPod he recently bought. He's managed to get hold of a Tiger retail disc, but it's obvious that his optical drive is completely dead. It won't read any type of disc.

How can I help him update to Tiger? I've got an inkling I could do it by putting my PowerBook into target disc mode, copy the Tiger disc to his desktop and then do it from there? Will this work?

Is there a better way?

gregh
5th May 2008, 01:11 PM
I have a firewire DVD-RW drive you could use (supported by Mac OS X, supposedly bootable).

Edit: Assuming the iMac has firewire...

snark
5th May 2008, 01:15 PM
Install CD & DVD sharing on your Mac, then share your optical drive over the network? ie. the same thing you would do if your friend had a Macbook Air.

~Coxy
5th May 2008, 01:18 PM
All you need to do is put the PowerBook into Target Disk mode and insert the disk. Mount that on the iMac and you should be able to see the CD (as well as the PowerBook's internal hard disk) and boot off it long enough to install 10.4.

f1_power
5th May 2008, 01:19 PM
A friend is dying to update his old iMac to 10.4 so that he can use the new iPod he recently bought. He's managed to get hold of a Tiger retail disc, but it's obvious that his optical drive is completely dead. It won't read any type of disc.

How can I help him update to Tiger? I've got an inkling I could do it by putting my PowerBook into target disc mode, copy the Tiger disc to his desktop and then do it from there? Will this work?

Is there a better way?

You should be able to put DVD in your Powerbook - put it in target mode and then boot the iMac from your DVD on your Powerbook.

purana
5th May 2008, 02:01 PM
You should be able to put DVD in your Powerbook - put it in target mode and then boot the iMac from your DVD on your Powerbook.

Yep, totally as stated. It basically then turns the POwerbook into a huge external DVD drive.

tintinaujapon
5th May 2008, 02:06 PM
Excellent. I didn't realise the Tiger disc would also show up in Target Disc mode.

Thanks for the offer of the drive anyway, gregh.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Mission accomplished. For the benefit of anyone reading this thread at a later date, the CD/DVD sharing software must be downloaded from Apple here:

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - DVD or CD Sharing Setup Update for Mac (http://tinyurl.com/2pjw36)

I thought it was something already built into OS X and spent some time looking before I worked out where to find it.