PDA

View Full Version : Router Advice

Craigier
31st March 2005, 01:41 PM
Hello Mac-Monkies Down Under,

I just emigrated over here from the UK bringing a beautiful brand-new G4 powerbook with me.

The house I'm currently staying in has a home PC that is already connected to the internet (I'm on it now) via Optus Broadband with a Cable Modem, Dynamic IP and ethernet connection.

I want to get my powerbook online and keep the PC connected, so I think I need to get hold of a router.

Originally I wanted this to be a wireless router so I could sit around in the sun playing on the net, but I've been told by the guys at Apple that in order to do this I would also need to buy an Airport Base Station for $199, despite the fact that originally when I bought the G4 I thought it had a Airport and a modem built in...

Anyway, I guess this means I'd rather go with the wire for the time being at least.

Also - I'm planning on moving out of this joint to a new flat in the next month or so and when I do I guess I'll need a modem - will the router I get also act as a modem that I can take with me when I go?

Please forgive my inexperienced stupidity, but if anyone could please advise me on what would be the best type of router, how much it is likely to cost, and where to purchase it I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

purana
31st March 2005, 01:52 PM
I'd say Linksys WRT54G router. Which can then have your existing ethernet cable modem connected to it.

Then when you move, you take WRT with you, and if the new place gets ADSL or CABLE, just plug the ethernet ADSL or CABLE modem into the linksys.

By not having a router with inbuilt modem, your not restricted to CABLE or ADSL only. Since plugging in an ADSL or CABLE ethernet modem to the WRT gives you options.

iMick
31st March 2005, 01:55 PM
Ha! apple guys trying pull one over you dude. I use a Netgear WGR614 to share my house's bigpond between 4 PCs and 2 Macs and it has never missed a beat. The non-apple wireless works perfectly with both airport and airport extreme cards in my laptops.

Because I have cable i don't need a integrated modem and having the firewall/router/access point I can plug it into cable or ADSL OR I can use it just as a switch OR just an access point making it very flexible and value to money. I know both netgear and dlink make them for a start among others. I prefer netgear over dlink from my experience but it is like ford over holdens etc.

Febs
31st March 2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Mar 31 2005, 01:52 PM
I'd say Linksys WRT54G router.
Couldn't agree more. Fantastic little unit, and pretty well priced at under $115 (given its feature list, and what you can do with it with aftermarket firmware).

I was setting up a WGR614 (Netgear) for a mate the other day. Absolute piece of junk. Told him to take it back and get a WRT54G. He did, and we were up and running in under 2 minutes.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Paxton
31st March 2005, 02:02 PM
I have the same router as iMick, and I love it. There are no problems with an Airport card, and the signal strength is outstanding. I bought it from Harvey Normans (There is a locked thread about that somewhere) make sure you buy it from elsewhere. Get the Netgear. You won't be disappointed.

purana
31st March 2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Mar 31 2005, 01:59 PM
Couldn't agree more. Fantastic little unit, and pretty well priced at under $115 (given it's features, and what you can do with it with aftermarket firmware).

If you hunt around they can be had for as low as $99, although I don't think I will get another one for that price.

I currently have one WRT in my garage, and I am going to buy another. My plan is to run these 2 WRT's on a seperate lan to my network and plug them both into a linux box, then configure both WRT's with no WEP or no WPA. Then configure the firewall on linux box nic to keep this network public and seperate. Then configure VPN server so that my wife and I can use this open network to VPN authenticate and get a IP from the internal private lan.

I have a Draytek 2600Ge, but eventually it will be replaced and thus the wireless it has will be disabled, as the 2 WRT's will give the coverage and configuration I want for long term.

It looks like my linux box will probably run the ADSL link via another nic with an Alcatel SpeedTouch HOME modem. See what happens. I still need to buy the 2nd WRT and get my linux box rebuilt and configured.

WRT is good. Thus I recommend them without a 2nd thought :)

Craigier
31st March 2005, 05:51 PM
Fanks for the replies & advice guys! ;)

I haven't managed to find anywhere that'll seel me the WRT54G yet, but I've got some dubious dude from IT Warehouse trying to sell me a NetGear 614 router for $85...

He's says he's not sure if it's Mac compatible though - what do you think?

Paxton
31st March 2005, 06:05 PM
I had the same response when I bought mine. I have 4 Macs, and 3 peecees connected to the network, and there is no comparability issues at all. It works better on my Macs than on my Wife's HP.

This Thread, now locked (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2586) outlines my gripes when I bought the router. It works, no worries.

_Andrew

purana
31st March 2005, 06:18 PM
www.staticice.com.au

And search for WRT

You'll find plenty of sites selling it and some that do post/courier to you for a price.

BiRDBRAiN
31st March 2005, 06:47 PM
Wifi is standard, whether you have a PC or a Mac.

My G4 iBook works like a dream through my Netgear wireless router.

Most PC only places won't have a clue and will most likely say they don't know if it will work with Mac, and I suspect the same goes for Mac places.

sikosis
31st March 2005, 06:56 PM
I've found that wifi devices, made by D-Link and Netgear, have a much weaker signal than say an Airport Express ... Airport Express was the only one to make and KEEP a signal with a PC laptop in my living room, the others would keep dropping out. That was 802.11b so maybe if its all g you'll be alright :rolleyes:

BiRDBRAiN
31st March 2005, 06:58 PM
All my gear is 802.11g and I get a better signal from my ibook than I did from my old HP Windoze laptop.

purana
31st March 2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by BiRDBRAiN@Mar 31 2005, 06:47 PM
Wifi is standard, whether you have a PC or a Mac.
Standard yes... But unfortunately the firmware used by certain manufacturers doesn't work as well as it should.

I had the Billion 7500G when it first came out and it had endless issues with powerbook. I believe its now better, although I ditched this ADSL router months ago and long before they even got the firmware to what it is now.

3dward_Shaddow
31st March 2005, 08:03 PM
That looks good, but it doesn't support Dial-up internet does it?
Yes, Im on of the poor ppl still working on 56k dial-up (i get ADSL at work which makes up for it but) :(

BiRDBRAiN
31st March 2005, 09:12 PM
I know there are routers that have "backup" dial up in them, but they are a lot more expensive.

You're better off putting together a cheap (dare I say it) PC with something like Smoothwall, instead.

icant
31st March 2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 3dward_Shaddow@Mar 31 2005, 09:03 PM
That looks good, but it doesn't support Dial-up internet does it?
Yes, Im on of the poor ppl still working on 56k dial-up (i get ADSL at work which makes up for it but) :(
The Airport Base Station (with modem) can share a 56k connection. In the current batch, the modem version is a little pricy. But there are the previous generation ones that have a 56k modem built in as standard.

And dial up can be initiated and ended from any Mac client using Internet Connect. Or PC client using a Java app.

Craigier
31st March 2005, 10:11 PM
:blink:

Fanks again guys.

Sorry for appearing to be total thick but correct me if I'm wrong...

I need a router with 802.11b or 802.11g access point, and if I get this sort of router then I don't need the $199 Apple Airport Base Station too?

I think it's slowly sinking in... I hope!

Cheers

3dward_Shaddow
31st March 2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by icant@Mar 31 2005, 09:42 PM
The Airport Base Station (with modem) can share a 56k connection. In the current batch, the modem version is a little pricy. But there are the previous generation ones that have a 56k modem built in as standard.

And dial up can be initiated and ended from any Mac client using Internet Connect. Or PC client using a Java app.
Yeah Im looking at geting one of the Airport Base Stations for the 56k connection. I'm currently using my PC (just switched recently) for the net and just run a 20m cable to my powerbook :P
Does the trick but I want to be able to use wireless some day...*sigh* save some money, get base station, save some more money get better net connection...

Craigier, you can use a router with 802.11g access point insted of the Base Station

Kildare
31st March 2005, 10:58 PM
Using my girl's Minitar MN54G4R wireless router whilst I'm down in Melbourne & although it had a few teething problems with Telstra Cable it works a treat.

Just purchased one for myself @ www.pcrange.biz for when I get back to Sydney.
Going to use it as an access point only though off my Smoothwall Box but it will be good to have the router functionality for redundacy.

Graham
1st April 2005, 10:57 AM
After my issues with a SpeedTouch USB modem and an iMac G5 I need a new modem for it. That means one that will plug into a USB2 port and work with Panther (and hopefully Tiger). Given my (lack of) budget I can't go wireless.

So, any recommendations for a USB2-connected modem/router with built-in 4-port ethernet hub, preferably one available in a nearby Apple store (and that's proven to work on an iMac G5)?