PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] - Changing update server on OS X

boddiz
4th May 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to change the server on OS X 10.5 ??

Beau

Currawong
4th May 2008, 11:20 AM
Your question makes no sense. Change what exactly?

boddiz
4th May 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi,

I ran the network diagnostics before, and everything came up clear except the server at the bttom, it said it may be spelt wrong, I need to know how to get to the settings to change it?

Beau

Lachie
4th May 2008, 11:34 AM
You are making no sense at all. how about start with

"hi guys,
Im new to mactalk and i just have a few questions id love it if you could answer.
My problem is ......... its really annoying cause of ........ I think its happening because of ......... My computer is a ......... and my settings are ......... Iv tried doing ....... and ...... and ..... Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance"

The community of this forum isnt here to be abused. treat it with respect. most of us are happy to help you out providing you help us buy telling us everything you can. Start with a forum search and then make a post if you cant find anything. And when you do make the post literate and in the correct format. There is an FAQ (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/mactalk-community/a4.html)for a reason.

Lachie

Welcome to MTAU

iPirate
4th May 2008, 11:59 AM
10.5 client or server? What is this "Network Diagnostics" thing you speak of? Can't you connect to the internet? Is that it? (I get Network Diagnostics.app whenever my internet connection goes down and "Server" is the last item to appear on there).

If this is the case, then maybe your ISP is borked. Or Not. Do you use an ADSL modem to connect to the internet? More importantly, are all your other lights green in Network Diagnostics?

Most of this is guesswork, based on your minimum of data. It's a hard lesson the first time but we all have to learn to give more info. Hope you can fix your problem. Welcome To Mactalk :)

Currawong
4th May 2008, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I ran the network diagnostics before, and everything came up clear except the server at the bttom, it said it may be spelt wrong, I need to know how to get to the settings to change it?

Beau

Sorry, but none of us have any idea what you're talking about. How about starting at the beginning by telling us what you were trying to do at the very start that makes you feel you need to change whatever it is you need to change.

Thunderstruck
4th May 2008, 12:28 PM
I think iPirate is on the money. Obviously the original poster can connect (otherwise how would he post here?) but maybe from another computer or that the website he's trying to access is either incorrectly spelt or no longer exist.

boddiz
4th May 2008, 12:50 PM
10.5 client or server? What is this "Network Diagnostics" thing you speak of? Can't you connect to the internet? Is that it? (I get Network Diagnostics.app whenever my internet connection goes down and "Server" is the last item to appear on there).

If this is the case, then maybe your ISP is borked. Or Not. Do you use an ADSL modem to connect to the internet? More importantly, are all your other lights green in Network Diagnostics?

Most of this is guesswork, based on your minimum of data. It's a hard lesson the first time but we all have to learn to give more info. Hope you can fix your problem. Welcome To Mactalk :)

Hi,

Thankyou all for your replies.

Its a MacBook 2.0GHz running OS X 10.5 leopard.

I can get onto internet perfectly, but when I go to software update, al I get is the error:

Software Update canít find the update server. Make sure youíre connected to the Internet, then try again.

Software Update can't check for updates because of a network problem.

There is then a button underneath it saying :Network Diagnostics.

When I click on it, it goes through the list of things, but when it comes to server down the bottom of the list, the light next to server turns red.

I then get a error coming up, saying:

Cannot connect to server
Network Diagnostics was able to connect to the internet, but not to the server "nearline.mlc". The could be caused by a problem with the server, or an internet problem between this computer and the server.

Now the laptop is a ex-lease from "MLC school", so I thought that the "nearline.mlc" would be from them..?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Beau

iPirate
4th May 2008, 01:32 PM
Check network preferences. Go to Ethernet or Airport depending on how you connect to your modem for your current location, click the "Advanced" tab, and remove any data in the DNS and Proxies tabs. Hopefully that will clear things out.

As a side-note: Does anyone know why I can't spotlight the Network prefpane? I can get the others, just not network.

mab
4th May 2008, 01:52 PM
From the look of it, your machine is configured to use a OS X server for software updates rather than Apples servers. I'm not sure where that is done though. :(

Edit:

If this is the problem you will have an entry in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

that has something link this in it

CatalogURL http://ourserver.lanl.gov/

Currawong
4th May 2008, 02:12 PM
In Applications -> Utilities, open "Directory Utility". Are there any servers listed there? If yes, click on the lock, type in your password, and delete the server.

kim jong il
4th May 2008, 02:29 PM
... Now the laptop is a ex-lease from "MLC school", so I thought that the "nearline.mlc" would be from them..?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Beau
iPirate (and mab) have hit on your problem. It is trying to use an MLC proxy server for updates. That is never going to work for you unless you work there or are a student there. You will need to disable the use of proxies from within the "Network" preferences as iPirate said.

Possibly the first thing you should have done with a second hand machine was an erase and install of the OS presuming they gave you the install disks that should have come with your MacBook. "Archive and install" won't work as it will just import those old preferences which are giving you issues.

boddiz
4th May 2008, 04:16 PM
From the look of it, your machine is configured to use a OS X server for software updates rather than Apples servers. I'm not sure where that is done though. :(

Edit:

If this is the problem you will have an entry in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

Hi,

Thankyou all for your informative replies.

I have tried all methods except this one, which I think will probably be the remedy, but im not sure how to do find the entry?

EDIT:

I found the folder, but the file in question isnt there?

Thankyou in advance,

Beau

boddiz
4th May 2008, 06:51 PM
From the look of it, your machine is configured to use a OS X server for software updates rather than Apples servers. I'm not sure where that is done though.

Edit:

This fixed it!

Thankyou!!!