PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp\Music & Tascam Interface

Gazoo
3rd May 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I am a recent switcher and have been loving it.

I have a 24" Intel iMac and am looking at installing XP (SP2) using Boot Camp in order to continue using my music recording software (Adobe Audition)

I don't require Windows for any other use really, just the music app. I have looked at Garage Band, Logic, Audacity, Pro Tools etc., and would prefer to just continue on with the software I know really well.

Can anyone tell me if they have had any "issues" with a Boot Camp Mac\XP configuring external audio interfaces such as the TASCAM US122L?

I use the TASCAM US 122L (which is not compatible with the imac & 10.5.2) and I need this to work in the Mac\Windows set up. If this device doesn't work, there is no point in me doing al of this.

Any gurus with some advice?

Thanks in advance.

HDK
3rd May 2008, 06:19 PM
The mac will be just another pc once you bootcamp it with xp. Everything will be just as you are used to. I don't see why it would not work, with the correct drivers.

Gazoo
3rd May 2008, 08:14 PM
Thx HDK, will give it a go I guess.

RAL
19th May 2008, 03:10 AM
Question for Gazoo,

I'm new to the forum, and to posting questions in general, so sorry if I get this wrong.

I am a beginner guitar player (about 2 years now) and am currently looking at getting the Tascam US 122L product to help record both guitar and voice into my computer. I have a five year old 17" Laptop at the moment, but may be updating in the next year.

You stated in your post - "I use the TASCAM US 122L (which is not compatible with the imac & 10.5.2)". Is there an issue with this TASCAM product, as from their information I thought it was meant to be compatible for Mac use? Is it something I need to avoid?

Any information you have would be welcome as I don't want to waste the bucks!

Thanks.

Brains
19th May 2008, 03:03 PM
RAL: Try and avoid any USB-based audio interface, as they are problematic no matter who makes them or which OS they are used with.

Look at a FireWire based interface instead, and one that can truly work with any OS, such as those from Mackie, Presonus, RME Audio, Markk of The Unicorn, or M-Audio.

RAL
21st May 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Brains,

I'll have a look at some of those other products. Is the firewire as good as using USB or bettermaybe?

RAL

Brains
21st May 2008, 06:15 PM
MUCH MUCH better.

Gazoo
29th July 2008, 10:13 AM
I have recently set up the Tascam US 122L under Mac OSX using Boot Camp and Windows XP.

Everything I have learned (and tried) about this USB interface is a total failure under the iMac system with OSX (10.5.2) or higher.

Since setting up the Mac with a Boot Camp\Win XP set up, I have had no issue with the unit at all. The interface works perfectly fine under the dual OS set up, but only in Windows. If anyone is considering this interface with an intel-mac, I would strongly suggest the boot camp method using Mac OSX and WinXP.

I don't use XP for any other purpose other than the music recording, under this method - the interface works perfectly.

I might add that TASCAM are aware of the iMac compatibility & driver issues but are doing nothing to support it.

Do it this way and you wont be disappointed.

decryption
29th July 2008, 10:38 AM
Well Gazoo, Brains told you a USB interface will be problematic ;)
It's not OS X's fault, it's TASCAM who are slack and don't put the effort into making a Mac driver. Which is silly as a lot of musicians use Macs.

If you were to purchase a proper FireWire interface, or a USB interface with good Mac support, you wouldn't need to boot into Windows at all! You'd be able to use Garageband or Logic too :)

edd999
9th September 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi, I would just like to add my experiences because they seem to be the exact opposite to everyone else!

I have an iMac with Windows XP via boot camp.

I bought a Mackie Onyx Satellite Firewire interface about a week ago. It worked perfectly in OSX but didnt work in Windows. I have tried absolutely everything, i think, with no success. The unit connected fine, drivers installed fine, its showed up in device manger fine but the firewire indicator doesn't light up in windows and i cannot get any audio output. Any music software crashes when i try to play any audio (only in windows).

I have installed numerous Hot Fixes from microsoft. I have gone back to SP2 then back again to SP3. I have a firewire hard drive that works fine.

I have given up and plan to swap my firewire interface for a USB one as I have used an m-audio fast track in windows and OSX succesfully with no issues! I think I'm going to go with the Edirol UA-25EX. Anyone know of any issues I might experience in OSX or Win XP via boot camp?

Edd

dragonslive
9th September 2008, 02:26 AM
Not sure if this driver actually works, but it claims to be for Leo and the package appears dated from Feb 08.

US-122L & US-144 Mac OS X Drivers: - v. 1.11 driver for Mac OSX Leopard
TASCAM (http://www.tascam.com/details;9,15,69,19.html)

Best Wishes,
Steve