PDA

View Full Version : UPEK finger security for Macs?

SyncMan
2nd May 2008, 09:15 AM
Whilst reading the Bill Gates is Kermit thread, I saw an interesting advert for this...

http://www.upek.com/solutions/mac/default.asp

And see what they had once only for PC, they think it's worthwhile making it Mac ready.

What's the market like for this devices in the Mac market?

Worthwhile?

And what about here in Oz?

If MTAU knows of a Oz seller, I would be willing to review a review unit, knowing that I would have to return it. If I didn't have to return it, it would go to a good cause, namely my Mum's Mac, as she is so not security minded :)

decryption
2nd May 2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting - I'll try and hunt down a review unit for ya.

BiRDBRAiN
2nd May 2008, 12:39 PM
Could get one straight from Amazon.

Might take a while to ship though.

rickyd
2nd May 2008, 01:01 PM
I don't trust these kinds of fingerscanners - but then again, I have never used one.

Ricky.

SyncMan
2nd May 2008, 03:15 PM
You have been eating too many buns maybe?

iMac
2nd May 2008, 03:53 PM
interesting... can't really see the home user adopting this though. I can see it taking off with the Macs in businesses though.

LarryH
2nd May 2008, 03:55 PM
What that mean that you wouldn't need a password?

Dante Kyar
2nd May 2008, 04:00 PM
I don't trust these kinds of fingerscanners - but then again, I have never used one.

Ricky.

Back when i was using a Pc we had a finger scanner, but it was more like a bit of glass/plastic you put your finger on and it took an image of it. It was about $200 for it and a wireless mouse. Worked out brilliantly for everything from logging in, switching users to entering passwords on websites.

I know it took images of your fingers (which ever one you wanted plus a backup one or two) because as you were setting it up you would see the black and white image.

Anyway, the point is that with multiple users and used for a substantial amount of time, we never once had a problem with it not identifying the correct person. I was really surprised at just how accurate it was. Might hunt it down actually, just for a bit of fun. :p

SyncMan
2nd May 2008, 04:13 PM

May I remind you of Macs and no password systems?

Back in the OS 9 days...

"My voice is my password, and my password is my voice." :)

Of course maybe instead of voice, or finger, these built in Webcams could do an eye scan maybe?

http://us.123rf.com/168nwm/jhorne/jhorne0603/jhorne060300042.jpg

You could have your Mac go...

"Now look deeply into my eye and say you love me." :D