PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pixel. Warranty?

Kildare
30th March 2005, 02:02 PM
Finally received my iBook today only to be greeted with a dead "light" pixel in the top right of the screen. :(

I would assume this would be covered under warranty?

iMick
30th March 2005, 02:06 PM
I'm intersted in the response to this as well Kildare,

I have a dead Subpixel on my iBook, which luckily is not as obvious as a pixel but would like it fixed if possible.

glenmorrow
30th March 2005, 02:07 PM
So long as you didn't spill coffee on it - it should be... Ok, only kidding :). Ring wherever you bought it from and they would advise what to do.
Glen

iSlayer
30th March 2005, 02:11 PM
its not covered by warrenty
if there was a group of say 5 then it might be but 1 is not enoguh to get a replacement.
its a policy alot of companies have because they dont make the screens so they have no control over them

OziMac
30th March 2005, 02:13 PM
Hmm, definitely ring, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

I hear you can get decent attention from resellers in this regard (but can't say for sure). I'm pretty sure Apple does not replace items unless there is a localised cluster of 10ish dead/stuck pixels.

There is the supposedly tried-and-true menthod of 'massaging' the dead pixels out using a PDA stylus - but this has never worked for me, and nevertheless I would try to see what Apple/the reseller offers to do (or not to do) first. :)

iMick
30th March 2005, 02:14 PM
I wasn't sure what the apple pixel thing was so I have just grown used to mine. Having said that though it only died after two years of constant use. Having a new screen with a dead one would suck.

luztra
30th March 2005, 02:37 PM
My new 15" PowerBook arrived with a dead pixel; I contacted Apple and they advised that this is not a warranty issue (I purchased via the Apple online store).

frenchtoast
30th March 2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Mar 30 2005, 02:13 PM
There is the supposedly tried-and-true menthod of 'massaging' the dead pixels out using a PDA stylus - but this has never worked for me, and nevertheless I would try to see what Apple/the reseller offers to do (or not to do) first. :)
If its a dead pixel your not going to have much luck.

If its a stuck pixel, ie only displaying one colour continuously, then massaging it carefully with a stylus or your thumb may get it out. But you must be gentle

Adz
30th March 2005, 08:06 PM
Don't get me started on Apple and their dead pixel policy :angry:

Kildare
30th March 2005, 08:39 PM
Oh well I called Apple & they gave me the number of the nearest service centre.
Called them (NextByte) & was told there must be @ least 7 dead pixels to warrant a return.

Not too happy about but what can I do?
Only six more to go! :P

Thanks for the input ppls :)

hawker
30th March 2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Kildare@Mar 30 2005, 08:39 PM
Only six more to go! :P
well thats one way to look at it!

Optogamut
30th March 2005, 09:10 PM
Haha, only 5 to go here! :blink:

It definitely takes the shine off, when you spend most of a DVD looking at that one bright pixel (I've got one stuck on and the other off).
BTW, I've never heard of this pixel massaging before, is there any technique to it? When do you give up?

dbatrium
30th March 2005, 09:16 PM
:D
Well my iBook 14" started out in July with a couple then it spread and spread across a line 1/3 of the way up the screen, so it begun to have two clusters with a few in the middle. For my mind the case top of the iBook was sprung when I got it out of the wrapper so I figured it was a friday manufacturing event.

I finally put it in for repair as other features like lines as if there was a shortage somewhere occurred. The good news I had plenty of warranty and my Brisbane dealer was excellent and dealt with the problem quickly and curteously. Now I have a good clean sceen to match the iMac G5, but the top of the case got a bit scratched but it closes properly now.

I suspect that maybe the manufacturers have not such a good quality control as should be and a few marginal screens set to low brightness do past initial tests. I noticed when I upgraded from OSX 10.3.7 to 10.3.8, suddenly everything got a great deal brighter and the breakdown in the screen became more noticable.

Its best to have extended AppleCare.
JJ B) :thumbup: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/style_images/1/icon9.gif

Kildare
30th March 2005, 09:41 PM
Well I grabbed some Pixel Check program & spotted a dark one!
Didn't even notice it before. 5 to go! ;)

Apart from that I'm really impressed with the machine. Might grab an extra 256MB of RAM though.

kit
31st March 2005, 11:15 AM
It's not just 7 in isolation, they have to be together.

It's not exactly the most generous dead-pixel policy, but there ARE worse (NEC, I think, only returns monitors with 13 or more, with a clump of at least 8)

Xenex
3rd April 2005, 09:38 PM
Here's the official line: About LCD display pixel anomalies (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194).

Essentially, you would need to have a number of dead pixels before the display would be replaced under warranty. It's the nature of the technology -- not just an Apple thing.

Kildare
3rd April 2005, 11:41 PM
I stumbed across that although a "number" is not defined.
Didn't really bother me until tonight until I watched a DVD. :(

Companies like CMV, Samsung, BenQ & Viewsonic - to name a few - all offer some form of zero dead pixel warranty within an initial period.

etai
14th April 2005, 02:18 PM
Don't worry. My new 1.67 G4 15" also has one orange dead pixel (and I'm not going looking for more!).

iSlayer
14th April 2005, 03:05 PM
i have a blue pixel on my new powerbook.
doesnt bother me at all.
you dont notice it much and even then i dont really care about it

Lisa
14th April 2005, 03:14 PM
I got a plasma replaced with 1 dead pixel after following up a disputed claim with the Department of Fair Trading...

It's worth a shot - especially if it's new.

Good luck

bzchi
14th April 2005, 04:04 PM
I think it's a bit easy to let Apple off with the "it can't be avoided" or "they don't make the monitors so they can't control it".

They build the final Machine, and they should have a requirement with the manufacturer of the monitor. If they are having problems with the pixels on monitors being dead, they can tell the manufacturer to sort themselves out or they will move on (I am sure Apple has some weight with the amount of units they move).

The reality of the matter is, this _can_ be helped. For those who think this is the norm try stepping back into the PC world for a few seconds and check what they are doing. When I was first exposed to LCD screens the norm _was_ dead pixels. I remember ordering 15 monitors for a client (@ $1200+ ea) and most of them had 5+ dead pixels and this was to be expected.

Welcome to 2005, the process for making these monitors has been refined to the point where you can pick them up for nothing and more and more manufacturers are offering '0 dead pixel' policies for at least some period of time (Samsung is leading the way). This is the level of quality you would expect from Apple (in fact, you would expect Apples equipment to exceed this level of quality with the price they ask).

I don't think it is unfair to criticise Apple for this and I think their dead pixel policy stinks. It is basically left up to their discretion as to what justifies a replacement. When I asked about the dead pixel policy when researching laptops I was gobsmacked by the response of 5+ warrants a faulty item (and no policy for pixels DOA). What concerned me more was the salesperson telling me a fair few of the LCD products had dead pixels (mainly the iMacs).

So in closing, times are changing.. dead pixels _are_ becoming a thing of the past, and when you are paying the premium you should expect a premium product. I don't think 0 dead pixels (at least on arrival) is much to ask, and if at any time I am buying an apple LCD I will be sure to have them show it to me in the shop before I leave with it.

From experience though.. it doesn't take much to get a monitors dead pixel count up to the warranty requirement.. just make sure you have something else to use while your laptop/screen is away for months being repaired. ;)