PDA

View Full Version : iBook help!

darknight84
30th March 2005, 01:16 PM
I have just recently updated my software on the iBook and when it goes ti restart all it does it hang there and does nothing...what do I do in this case? Is it supposed to be half an hour or more for it to update 2 updates that were no more than 1MB?

I cant turn off the power so what now?

gehenna
30th March 2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by darknight84@Mar 30 2005, 01:16 PM
I have just recently updated my software on the iBook and when it goes ti restart all it does it hang there and does nothing...what do I do in this case? Is it supposed to be half an hour or more for it to update 2 updates that were no more than 1MB?

I cant turn off the power so what now?
what updates were they specifically?

iSlayer
30th March 2005, 01:21 PM
reset the pram by holding down apple+option+p+r when you restart.
that may fix it for you.
did for me once with a very similar sounding problem

but yeah just turn it off and try again

darknight84
30th March 2005, 01:26 PM
I just updated Remote Desktop and Battery for it, i cant turn it off at all the Apple+Option+p+r doesnt seem to be working...I also updated iTunes, Quicktime and iPod updater for my shuffle....when I updated is gave me the option to restart or shutdown i chose to restart it and now nothing...its got my background and that little circle near the bottom going round and round...still nothing will work...wont even respond to it

feeze
30th March 2005, 01:31 PM
Press and hold down the power button. That should force a shutdown.

darknight84
30th March 2005, 01:38 PM
:D All you people on the AppleTalk forums are bloody geniuses, what would i do without you PPL! hehe

I'd probably still be swearing at the machine if I had to wait any longer...woohoo! everything is back up and running again..

I held it down for a couple of seconds and nothing happened...should of held it down longer.

OK thanks all :thumbup: :rolleyes: :lol: B)

iMick
30th March 2005, 01:40 PM
How long does it go for? My iBook (an older 800Mhz G3) always takes longer to rebot after a software update.

Also, try pressing apple-v when you start for a verbose boot so you can see all the unix services load one by one like a linux box. It should give you an indication on what your rig is hanging on.

darknight84
30th March 2005, 01:53 PM
hey iMick, yeah mine is the G3 800Mhz, it didnt really reboot more that it was about to but then hung there for 40 minutes and did nothing. Yeah thats for that..I dont know any of the apple stuff when it comes to Ctrl+Alt Delete for Microsoft.

What other commands are there so that I know?

I know 2 already in this topic...any more?

nicwithsticks
30th March 2005, 02:03 PM
Command (Apple Key) + Option + Escape brings up the force quit dialogue if you get stuck with a non-responsive program. You can select it from a list and terminate it and things should go back to functioning. (Tho not always, which is when the aforementioned press + hold power comes in handy)

iMick
30th March 2005, 02:16 PM
I have been using OSX for ages now and I still don't know all the commands. Freakn crazy!