PDA

View Full Version : New Mac User - a few problems

ryangolla
26th April 2008, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought my new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago and love using it ever since! I have encountered a few problems though:

1) Mail won't start for me, it will load for a bit, then quit unexpectedly. Should I delete it and re-install it?

2) When I use iWeb 08 and create pages, the navigation menu is not show up at all like it did the very first time I loaded it. Should I re-install this too?

3) I have set up a wireless network at home. Fondly enough my old PC laptop can connect to it, but my MBP can't...saying connection failed. Even though the password is correct, it still won't let me connect wirelessly.

Would appreciate any assistance and thank you in adnvance. :)

Looking forward to learning more about my Mac and meeting other MacTalk members. :D

Cheers

Ryan

Huy
26th April 2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome to MTAU and congrats on your MBP. :)

3) Are you using the right security settings? WPA? WEP? Is your MBP on the access list (if any)?

ryangolla
27th April 2008, 12:04 AM
Huy - Hi and thank you for your warm welcome. To answer your question, My MBP is not on the access list. is it because I already have the Ethernet connected? The connection is WEP btw.

chrsha01
27th April 2008, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the forums as well and well done for your MBP purchase. :):)

Make sure your airport (wireless) is activated (on) by checking in the network preferences.

Huy
27th April 2008, 12:10 AM
Someone else was just saying something about WEP and Leopard having trouble working together.

Are you able to change the security to WPA (or WPA2) which is more secure?

Try adding the MBP to the access list as well, assuming you are using one and can access the router configuration.

Also I would try to connect to the Internet using one method at a time e.g. Ethernet only or via wireless only (I have never tried both at the same time).

chrsha01
27th April 2008, 12:18 AM
Good idea Huy. Change the security settings. Might work.

ryangolla
27th April 2008, 12:27 AM
chrsha01 - thank you for our warm welcome too. I have the Airport On.

Huy - I have added my MBP to the access list, tried changing it to WAP now and still won't connect. It keeps telling me - connection timeout.

macaholic
27th April 2008, 12:35 AM
1) Mail won't start for me, it will load for a bit, then quit unexpectedly. Should I delete it and re-install it?

Hi.
Go to: user/Library/Preferences/ and delete "com.apple.mail.plist"
Then launch Mail.

Hope that helps.

ryangolla
27th April 2008, 12:53 AM
macaholic - thank you for your reply. there is no file com.apple.mail.plist.

Huy
27th April 2008, 12:59 AM
Recheck your passphrase/key? Reset your machine? Reset your router?

fiark
27th April 2008, 06:54 AM
macaholic - thank you for your reply. there is no file com.apple.mail.plist.

Have you gone into the Users Library? - because you are new you may be looking in the wrong spot. The User is the little house icon under "Places" in the sidebar in Finder.

There is also a Library for the HD - you do not want that one. I have made this mistake myself in the past looking for something and wondering why I couldn't find it.

iWeb - does your problem occur when you start a new website or with one you are currently working with? In iWeb open the inspector go to the page icon and see that you have "Display navigation menu" checked on your main page.

If you are duplicating pages and the page you are duplicating does not have this checked, then the navigation menus will not show on those new pages.

DavyG
27th April 2008, 08:07 AM
3) I have set up a wireless network at home. Fondly enough my old PC laptop can connect to it, but my MBP can't...saying connection failed. Even though the password is correct, it still won't let me connect wirelessly.

Have you tried working out which WEP encryption it is? I had the same problem with my Mac mini and D-Link DI524. It was fixed when I set the network to 64 bit (rather then 128 bit) and set the mini to connect.