PDA

View Full Version : Powerbooks and Apple Pro Apps

suryo
29th March 2005, 12:18 PM
My girlfriend's brother is considering purchasing a Powerbook in the near future. He will be doing some basic video editing stuff initially for which iMovie would probably be adequate, and also probably play with GarageBand a bit. No problems there right?

However, I'm pretty sure he would outgrow the consumer Apps fairly quickly and come to expect more serious stuff from his machine, especially where audio is concerned, as he already has a fairly impressive array of recording gear as it is.

My question is as the title states. Are the current range of Powerbooks grunty enough to run Final Cut and Logic adequately? Obviously we're not talking feature-film stuff here, but I'd hate for him to get a Powerbook and then find the limits of its capability within a short time.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Suryo

OziMac
29th March 2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, the current line-up of Powerbooks should run Final Cut Pro and Logic suitably for the foreseeable future. Especially given that many production companies and recording studios use much older gear, I think it really comes down to how you use the equipment, rather than its capability.

Obviously, the better specced up versions (128MB VRAM particularly) would be the way to go. :)

estoyloco
29th March 2005, 12:50 PM
If he's spending all that cash say on a 15" model then he would be a fool not to trade it for a Dual G5 instead.

If thats what he wants to do then there should be no question.

Plus im sure he wont care about portability cos his audio hardware aint going with him on the road.

Powerbooks are awesome but for the price i decided that i would trade for a G5.

I used Final Cut, Gargaband and Logic on my 1.5GHZ G4 powerbook, it was fine and it was very usable - i'd rather that then a 3ghz P4 etc... but compared to the G5 its slower and the G5 flies. It much more efficient and rendering times are noticably faster. Plus you can chuck 2GB+ in a G5 for alot less than you can powerbook, you can buy a cheapish scratch drive to boost performance and you can obviosuly do alot with soundcards/software programs etc.

Having said that my cousin uses a Dual 533 G4 (and has for the last 4 years) and the thing runs perfectly even with heaps of tracks runnig in logic simultaneously. He has some serious audio gear. He uses the mac mainly for sequencing in logic as he has heaps of external hardwre. He has never commented on it being slow or lagging.

the_OM
29th March 2005, 01:03 PM
If he is serious about logic, then a 15'' will struggle a bit with version 7. Not so much with latency (great thing about macs is that its not an issue), just with the processor getting through all the tracks and instruments. If he is using external devices like with estoyloco's cousin, then it won't be such an issue.
Get a powermac G5 if he can.