PDA

View Full Version : Logic Board for iMac G5 Replaced...But there are issues.

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I had my Logic Board replaced on my iMac G5, and picked up my repaired Mac today. Luckily it was still under Applecare.

A couple of problems though:

1. Serial Number in About this Mac is totally different...is this normal?
2. Software Update does not work, it just stalls but the bar does not move (could this be an issued with the new Serial?).
3. When I boot up now I get a black screen with it showing all the commands the Mac is loading, kind of like a DOS Screen on Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix any of the above?

Thanks.

Adam.

purana
22nd April 2008, 09:15 PM
1) The service tech should of ran an internal tool that will program the serial back. blankboardserializer or something i think it's called.
2) Not related to serial, but sounds like you need to screengrab the example
3) verbose boot?

cosmichobo
22nd April 2008, 09:15 PM
The serial number is now different on the new board compared to the one that came with the machine. Same happened to my eMac when it got a new logic board. (Though mine is just blank). Apparently there may/may not be software held by Apple (and supposedly available to your repairer) to re-encode the serial number into the new board... it's kinda an urban legend...

Sounds like they've left something turned "on" with regards to the command line stuff...

bennyling
22nd April 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I had my Logic Board replaced on my iMac G5, and picked up my repaired Mac today. Luckily it was still under Applecare.

A couple of problems though:

1. Serial Number in About this Mac is totally different...is this normal?
2. Software Update does not work, it just stalls but the bar does not move (could this be an issued with the new Serial?).
3. When I boot up now I get a black screen with it showing all the commands the Mac is loading, kind of like a DOS Screen on Windows.

Any ideas on how to fix any of the above?

Thanks.

Adam.

1: If you change your logic board, you serial usually changes as well. Think of it like your car rego (cept different), you renew your rego, you get new plates!
2: Software update - could be an issue with your internet connection. Not related to serial at all.
3: That's the verbose mode! Verbose FTW, you usually turn it on at startup by holding down Command+V, but you can change the verbose mode in open formware - I think. To undo, hold down Command+Option+O+F right after you press the power button to get into open firmware. Then, type;

sudo nvram boot-args=""
to make it boot like normal again!

Hope this helped.

EDIT: wow, gotta be fast around here!

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Software Update is working again now, might have just been a bit tempermental before.

BennyLing I tried the command you gave me but it said sudo not valid command or something like that. And I did type it in right.

With the Serial number thing, if I need to call Tech Support in future and give them the new serial Number are they still able to look up my Mac or do I need to give the old one?

Thanks again!

Also...can a new logic board make the Mac 'faster' as the machine seems to be flying through things now, especially boot time and opening applications.

bennyling
22nd April 2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Software Update is working again now, might have just been a bit tempermental before.

BennyLing I tried the command you gave me but it said sudo not valid command or something like that. And I did type it in right.

With the Serial number thing, if I need to call Tech Support in future and give them the new serial Number are they still able to look up my Mac or do I need to give the old one?

Thanks again!

Give them the new one. Makes it easier :D

Try this one instead:

nvram boot-args=""

I copied and pasted from another site, not realising that open firmware doesn't have sudo.. LOL!

purana
22nd April 2008, 09:32 PM

Provide a screen grab, previously the serial number would contain a few words indicating none was set on the logic board, but that changed when apple made some software finally for it to be set when changed. It should of been ran after the logic board was installed (and the software allows the input of your original serial number, so that the new logic board matches the machine serial it was had on the old logic board).

Talk to the store who did the repair and ask them why is the serial different, and ask did they run the blank board software to set it correctly.

See screen grab below showing the utility as seen on the apple service website (which all certified people have access too).

http://img.skitch.com/20080422-cdjrnc3kgws87ymscjme62fqkx.jpg

Byrd
22nd April 2008, 09:34 PM
Also...can a new logic board make the Mac 'faster' as the machine seems to be flying through things now, especially boot time and opening applications.

By all means, since the old motherboard had a failing/failed component with everything else waiting for this to get it's crap in order, before being able to do more stuff :)

JB

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:34 PM
Provide a screen grab, previously the serial number would contain a few words indicating none was set on the logic board, but that changed when apple made some software finally for it to be set when changed. It should of been ran after the logic board was installed (and the software allows the input of your original serial number, so that the new logic board matches the machine serial it was had on the old logic board).

The serial number I have now begins with a W and ends with TTSDZ. Will call the store tomorrow morning and let you know what they say.

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:36 PM
Give them the new one. Makes it easier :D

Try this one instead:

nvram boot-args=""

I copied and pasted from another site, not realising that open firmware doesn't have sudo.. LOL!

That one ain't working either, it is saying:

vram Unkown Word HERE=ff9df628

it says the same for the sudo command as well.

Jedda
22nd April 2008, 09:37 PM
Talk to the store who did the repair and ask them why is the serial different, and ask did they run the blank board software to set it correctly.

See screen grab below showing the utility as seen on the apple service website (which all certified people have access too).

http://img.skitch.com/20080422-cdjrnc3kgws87ymscjme62fqkx.jpg

Note the name of the utility: "BLANK Board Serialiser". Often, Apple sends boards with an old serial that has not been wiped. This cannot be changed by the service provider.

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:38 PM
Note the name of the utility: "BLANK Board Serialiser". Often, Apple sends boards with an old serial that has not been wiped. This cannot be changed by the service provider.

Would it mean the part is second hand or refurbished? Or can I stay confident it is a new part?

Jedda
22nd April 2008, 09:38 PM
That one ain't working either, it is saying:

vram Unkown Word HERE=ff9df628

it says the same for the sudo command as well.

It seems that you typed vram, and not nvram.

Try it again, and make sure you don't miss letters.

purana
22nd April 2008, 09:39 PM

Then that's pretty stupid. First they rework all boards to have ascii text for the serial number, and now after finally getting a util to reprogram this (the reworked boards all come back not wiped).

Why does this not surprise me.

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:41 PM
It seems that you typed vram, and not nvram.

Try it again, and make sure you don't miss letters.

Sorry, mistyped in the post, definitely typing nvram .

Jedda
22nd April 2008, 09:46 PM
Do a PRAM reset.

On boot, hold Command, Option, P, and R. Hold them until you hear a SECOND boot chime.

PAddLePoP
22nd April 2008, 09:49 PM
Just reset PRAM, All iMac G5 boards when replaced boot to verbose mode until you clear the bootargs which would be done by resetting PRAM

Start the computer then press and hold Command+option+P+R, hold until you hear 3 chimes or so and then you can let go!

The board *should* have come from Apple with a blank serial unless they used one they had in stock? Wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe the tech copied the wrong serial number in when doing the blank board serialisation.

You can only fix it now by having the board replaced again, if you have a nice working board I wouldn't worry about the serial number much, getting a new board my introduce another problem.

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:49 PM
Do a PRAM reset.

On boot, hold Command, Option, P, and R. Hold them until you hear a SECOND boot chime.

That solved it! Thanks!!! No More Black Screen :D

adamjc
22nd April 2008, 09:51 PM
Just reset PRAM, All iMac G5 boards when replaced boot to verbose mode until you clear the bootargs which would be done by resetting PRAM

Start the computer then press and hold Command+option+P+R, hold until you hear 3 chimes or so and then you can let go!

The board *should* have come from Apple with a blank serial unless they used one they had in stock? Wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe the tech copied the wrong serial number in when doing the blank board serialisation.

You can only fix it now by having the board replaced again, if you have a nice working board I wouldn't worry about the serial number much, getting a new board my introduce another problem.

Thanks, I know the guy at the store said Apple had it in stock and he ordered it on Monday from them and it arrived today, I was pretty impressed with the Service. I dropped it off on Saturday, so 4 days including the weekend is fantastic!

adamjc
23rd April 2008, 06:43 PM
...One More Thing...

iTunes is not finding my AppleTV now, I have tried rebooting the AppleTV to no avail, I have also checked iTunes settings and the search for AppleTV box is ticked.

Any ideas? I dont really want to do a total reset of the AppleTV as I have rented movies on there that I havent watched yet.

Cheers.

adamjc
23rd April 2008, 06:56 PM
Problem solved, just had to go into Computers under settings on the AppleTV and reselect my Mac from there.

All going good now.