PDA

View Full Version : Where is wireless network password kept in XP?

jimdrum
22nd April 2008, 01:45 PM
Where in Windows XP is a Wireless network password stored?
I'm setting up a friends Macbook. He wants to use it on his wireless network. A Windows laptop is already able to connect. I have admin. privileges on the Windows machine, so should be able to access the password within the machine. Where is it kept?
I can't get into the router to find the password there. (He can't remember his password into the router either...)
Can anyone help please?

Wally
22nd April 2008, 01:48 PM
that sucks,

Reset the router to defaults. There should be a section in the manual then create a new password :)

Its usually admin admin anyway

Alec Fraser
22nd April 2008, 01:49 PM
Probably in the registry somewhere...but I'd get that's it's encrypted. Honestly, he should just reset his router to factory defaults (there's normally a way to do it listed in the manual or on the manufacturer's website) and reapply the settings.

jimdrum
22nd April 2008, 01:55 PM
that sucks,

Reset the router to defaults. There should be a section in the manual then create a new password :)

Its usually admin admin anyway
Thanks, fellas. I was hoping to avoid resetting the router because I'll then have to re-configure his G5 internet settings, which is also on the network but connected via ethernet. He won't know the protocols that his ISP requires, so this will probably mean a long wait on the phone....
Or.. can I find them within his network settings in System Preferences?

purana
22nd April 2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks, fellas. I was hoping to avoid resetting the router because I'll then have to re-configure his G5 internet settings, which is also on the network but connected via ethernet. He won't know the protocols that his ISP requires, so this will probably mean a long wait on the phone....
Or.. can I find them within his network settings in System Preferences?

You just need to goto the wireless settings section/page on the router in question then make up a new wep/wpa password. Then configure the other machines to use the new settings. You do not have to wipe the entire router back to defaults (unless of course he doesn't know the logon password to the router either).

Best to tell them to right these down and put in a safe place for future calls for assistance.

jimdrum
22nd April 2008, 02:08 PM
You just need to goto the wireless settings section/page on the router in question then make up a new wep/wpa password. Then configure the other machines to use the new settings. You do not have to wipe the entire router back to defaults (unless of course he doesn't know the logon password to the router either).

Best to tell them to right these down and put in a safe place for future calls for assistance.

Thanks, Purana. He doesn't know the logon password to the router, unfortunately.
I'll be teaching him how to use Keychain Access once all this is done!