PDA

View Full Version : View specs for my G5 tower without a monitor

dodyk
21st April 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi there Mactalkers.

Is there any any that I can obtain detailed system specs for my Dual G5 tower I am considering selling - without a monitor?

I have a macbook and imac Intel but no functional monitor at present.

I have put the G5 in Disk mode and can see the HD capacities but nothing else.

I am after the processor and memory info that the System Profiler normally gives you. Any tips would be most appreciated before I head out to borrow a DVI screen for the purpose.

Much obliged

David

big-ray
21st April 2008, 04:35 PM
Open the case and look for a white sticker that has a barcode and some specs,

ie for my ibook

?Barcode?
ethernet address
1067mhz/256mb/30gb/combo/ap

Ray

vicmeldrew
21st April 2008, 04:37 PM
If the Powermac operating system is equivalent to one of your other macs OS when new, you can do it in target disc mode.

With the Powermac in target disc mode and attached, restart your mac with the option key held down. Choose your powermac on the menu screen to boot from the PM's start up disc.

leon
21st April 2008, 04:38 PM
If the Powermac operating system is equivalent to one of your other macs OS when new, you can do it in target disc mode.

With the Powermac in target disc mode and attached, restart your mac with the option key held down. Choose your powermac on the menu screen to boot from the PM's start up disc.

He only has intel macs so this won't work.

bartron
21st April 2008, 04:44 PM
Apple - Support - Specifications (http://support.apple.com/specs/)

then enter in the serial number in 'find by serial number'. It will give you the specs for the product class of your machine (assuming there are no modifications)

not only that, but doing that will give you the specs for the machine running OS X, not the machine 'hosting' OS X (the powermac will act as a dumb FW enclosure)

bljpoad
21st April 2008, 04:56 PM
You could try to VNC into the machine if it already has Remote Desktop enabled.

If you have SSH access you could login that way and if you can find the OS X equivalent of "sysinfo" (going back to DOS days here!) then that could help you out. I don't know this command off the top of my head I am afraid.

Alternatively, look for the sticker big-ray was talking about since there is a good chance the CPU is the same as it says on the sticker. If you are uncertain about the ram, pull it out and have a look at how much is there. It should say on a sticker on each module how much they are.

Good luck! :)
- Bez

EDIT: If you can SSH into the machine, the following page has some terminal commands that may be of use to you: OSXFAQ - Technical News and Support for Mac OS X (http://www.osxfaq.com/Tips/unix-tricks/week103/monday.ws)

vicmeldrew
21st April 2008, 06:48 PM

Oops. I wouldn't work if they were PPC. You'd only see the host machine specs.

iPirate
22nd April 2008, 09:00 PM
Any chance of running the Mac as a headless mac (I believe a few resistors plugged in the right sockets of the monitor port can make it think it has a monitor..) and then VNC or Remote Desktopping to it...?

Jaffa
22nd April 2008, 09:26 PM
Any chance of running the Mac as a headless mac (I believe a few resistors plugged in the right sockets of the monitor port can make it think it has a monitor..) and then VNC or Remote Desktopping to it...?

You can VNC or Remote desktop into a Mac even if it does not have a monitor attached. No need to break your graphics card ny shoving resistors all over the place ;) BUT the problem with this is that it will not work unless Remote Desktop or VNC is enabled on the machine to begin with - for which you need a monitor.

THE easiest way to do what you want dodyk is to read out the sticker on the back or inside the cover of the PowerMac which should give you the specifications of your Mac. If that does not give enough information get the serial number (from the same sticker) and punch it into the warranty information on the link bartron mentioned. This should give you some more information as to what the Mac has shipped with. Be aware that if you have upgraded your Mac at any stage the information on the Apple website or on the sticker will infact be wrong in regards to the hard drive size or the amount of RAM. I am pretty sure that the PowerMac's CPU's are not commonly upgraded.

I hope tis helps and it not all mumbo-jumbo.

Jeff

dodyk
23rd April 2008, 01:13 PM
Found the sticker with the base specs for the machine. Added up the installed RAM (6 x 256Mb sticks!) and checked the HD capacity via FW disk mode.

Will be up on the For Sale forum tonight. Anyone interested?

MacDave
23rd April 2008, 01:56 PM
Guys, system_profiler is the same as the GUI System Profiler. For example, when ssh'd in:

[Loki:~] root# system_profiler | grep "Serial Number" | head -n1
Serial Number: 157191D8UPZ

And that's the serial number of my Mac Pro.

Dave