PDA

View Full Version : Updating to 10.5

Xavier
21st April 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi all.

I've just received the instal disks for Leopard and before I put my new HD in and start the install and transfer I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to know. I've heard an issue about Application Enhancer (which is on my computer at the moment), but I wasn't really following the problems when it first came out.

Will this issue or any other affect me if I am doing a fresh instal onto a new hard drive and then transferring all my settings by firewire through that setup assistant after installing.

The final question is if I put my old HD in an external enclosure with firewire would it recognize it as my old computer and transfer everything like you can with another computer, or do I have to put the hard drive in another computer and transfer that way. If this is the case will my old G4 have issues recognising my MacBook's HD.

Sorry about all the questions I just don't want to lose any of my data in the transfer process.

Venom71
21st April 2008, 02:57 PM
Uninstall APE before upgrading. I'd also suggest uninstalling every plug-in or haxie you've got installed before upgrading, not just APE.

APE will not work on Leopard once you have upgraded.

Jun
21st April 2008, 03:31 PM
Unsanity has released Leopard-compatible betas for APE, WSX, MeMa, FC, FruitMenu, SCR, and Silk.

APE now compatible with Mac OS X 10.5. See the Weblog here - [unsanity] Weblog - Unsanity - Makers of Haxies, small useful utilities that enhance and redefine how Mac OS X works. (http://unsanity.org/)

Xavier
21st April 2008, 03:40 PM
That's ok. I don't really want it on there anyway.

I followed the instructions on their website and it's fully uninstalled.

I mainly need to know about the last part of the question. Will the way I am wanting to do the install work??

p53
21st April 2008, 04:09 PM
the way i do it is a fresh install on the new hard drive, then manually transfer any files/preferences/apps that i want to carry over. i find it's a good way to trash old stuff that i haven't touched in yonks, and less chance of transferring corrupted files across.

Xavier
21st April 2008, 04:13 PM
So there won't be any issues if I do it that way?

Venom71
21st April 2008, 04:20 PM
No issues can never be guaranteed. You will certainly have the least issues the more you treat it as a clean install and transfer selectively based on what you need to transfer and what will work on Leopard.

I'd have a good read through this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=373263) before starting and make a plan for migration and a recovery plan - before you start.

Xavier
21st April 2008, 04:42 PM
Would an external enclosure designed for a CD/DVD drive accept a 2.5 SATA drive?

Xavier
23rd April 2008, 01:40 PM
I'm having troubles with the new Hard Drive I put in, disk utility won't recgonise it and thus I can't install.

There was a thread about new HD problems a few days ago but I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

shiny
23rd April 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm having troubles with the new Hard Drive I put in, disk utility won't recgonise it and thus I can't install.

There was a thread about new HD problems a few days ago but I can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

You need to have the HD formatted as a GUID, you can do this through Disk Utility (following taken form macosxhints.com):

Formatting your external: Plug in your external drive and back up anything that's already on it. Go to Disk Utility, select your FireWire drive and in the right side, click on the Partition tab. Click on the Options... button and select GUID as your Partition Type. Lastly, click on the Partition button to format/partition your external drive as GUID. Approx time: Less than five minutes.

Xavier
23rd April 2008, 03:05 PM
Found first part of problem, the rubber guide on the side came off and blocked the hard drive from going all the way in.

I'm now sure the Hard Drive is the whole way in and it still isn't being recoginsed.

This is driving me mad, I would really love some help with this, could the thread be moved to help issues?

So I would need an external enclosure to make it work???

shiny
23rd April 2008, 03:12 PM
I recently upgraded to 10.5 and I did the following:

Back up all my files to an external HD I own.

New HD for laptop in external enclosure formatted as GUID.

Installed Leopard on external drive and then used migration assistant to move all files across from my 10.4 drive in MacBook.

Ran software update on 10.5 and installed all new updates and ensured the 10.5 drive would boot.

Installed new HD into MacBook and that was it!

Is the new HD installed in an enclosure or have you installed it in the computer already?

Xavier
23rd April 2008, 03:14 PM
It's in the computer already.

Damm this means I am going to have to fork out extra money for an external enclosure.

Ill try this route and then report back. One last thing, does the external enclosure need to be firewire?

shiny
23rd April 2008, 03:16 PM
Nope, I got a USB enclosure from MSY for $20, shiny red as well. :)

Xavier
24th April 2008, 12:38 AM
Letting everybody know all is well.

I feel like an idiot I was installing the hard drive upside down and therefore it wasn't going in properly.

Thankyou for your help.

shiny
24th April 2008, 08:48 AM
Excellent :thumbup: Don't forgot to run software update, enjoy!

Xavier
24th April 2008, 09:10 AM
I heard some problems with the Graphics Update... should I still run it?

shiny
24th April 2008, 11:08 AM
I had no problems with any of the updates, I had the graphics update, 10.5.2 and keyboard update as well as some others, all installed without a hitch.

Just make sure you have a backup just in case. :)