PDA

View Full Version : Optus News Server having issues...

cosmichobo
21st April 2008, 09:50 AM
G'day,

MT-NewsWatcher isn't getting the latest posts on any newsgroups... the most recent it finds is Tue/Wed last week.

I'm wondering if this is maybe a news.optusnet.com.au fault?

Anyone else affected?

Any better servers I could use?

Cheers

cosmic

--

Just checked Whirlpool - it is indeed Optus... they keep claiming it's fixed, but people can't see recent (ie since time advised above) posts, just make new ones.

purana
21st April 2008, 09:53 AM
Any better servers I could use?

Not unless your prepaid to pay.. The ISP usenet server provided is free as a customer, if you want to use another ISP's usenet server, then you must be a customer with that other ISP (and using a connection provided by them).

Commercial usenet servers exist, but you must pay for the right to use them. Of course these are mainly used by people who use the alt.binaries groups.

cosmichobo
21st April 2008, 09:58 AM
Silly me thinking it would be a "community" thing, and companies wouldn't mind sharing.

Déja (Vu? Groups? been so long...) was great... and still was for a few years after their acquisition by Google... but now Google have f'd the service up royally... never seem to be able to search without getting a lot of crap, and often has a delay in seeing new posts...

purana
21st April 2008, 10:07 AM
I've been meaning to install a usenet client, as I need to get back into reading some of the old groups I use to do. Hopefully Optus fix up your usenet server correctly.

Evad
21st April 2008, 11:28 PM
According to the member services, status page the News server had some updating issues earlier..

this is the message on the service status page (https://memberservices.optuszoo.com.au/service_status/) today - no idea if it is fixed or not as I don't use the newsgroups.

----------------------------------
Message posted at: 2008-04-20 14:35
What: Updating Delays
When: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 2:30pm
Duration: No estimated time of restoration
Impact: Optus customers are experiencing delays with newsgroups updating. This issue is still under investigation.
Additional Info:
------------------------------------------