PDA

View Full Version : iCal & Exchange server

MrBlack
20th April 2008, 10:48 PM
Just thought I would share my experience on trying to sync my iCal calender with my exchange server at work.

Using XP & Outlook at work but iCal at home, I hated having 2 different calenders. Because I am at work most of the time and end up putting all my reminders & appointments into outlook I wanted to get them at home too so I didn't have to end up logging into OWA to see my appointments for the next day.

and did some googling and came across a solution without the need for Office/Entourage (which we all know doesn't actually support exchange unless your exchange server has IMAP turned on... good luck finding on that does!)

iCalX (http://icalx.com) is a webdav server 'service'

This means you can can publish your exchange calender, right click your calender in Outlook & choose to publish to a webdav server, you can do it publicly or privately which requires a username & password to access.

Steps required are basically

Publish your outlook calender to the URL you are given when you signup
Open iCal and subscribe to the .ics link from your account and 'boom!' its all there!
You can set it to auto update every day or week or whatever.

Now this can work the other way aswell, changes you make on your 'Home' iCal calender can be publlished to the same URL and you can subscribe to it in Outlook.. Sweet!

Nice to see a solution without the need for installing office 08. Hopefully this is of help to some people here.

Cheers.

decryption
20th April 2008, 11:34 PM
I (thank god) have no need to use an Exchange Server, but a lot of people do.
Nice post :D

Mac Ram
21st April 2008, 12:15 AM
Thankyou MrBlack - that'll come in very handy :)

Saru
21st April 2008, 01:29 PM
How do you "publish your outlook calendar"? Which version of outlook are you using?

Mac Ram
21st April 2008, 02:08 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but isn't there an import/export option under file?

purana
21st April 2008, 02:11 PM
I think this OP has to be expanded a little and some possible screen grabs. As the instructions relating to Outlook Calender don't totally work. SO it might be specific to certain versions. Of which version is currently unknown.

Saru
21st April 2008, 02:57 PM
Haven't tried it yet, but isn't there an import/export option under file?

There is, but export is static. If it just wanted to export something I could sneaker-net it across to iCal.

Publish is different. (To me) Publish implies continual updating. So every 3hrs, or every 15 minutes Outlook pushes my new appointments and edited appointments to iCalX.

It seems this is possible* in Outlook 2007, but not 2003.

However this is an opensource plugin for 2003 that does the same job: RemoteCalendars, the Outlook2003's plug-in to subscribe, delete and reload your iCalendar (http://remotecalendars.sourceforge.net/index.html)

However, I can't install it to verify as it requires admin rights on XP which I don't have on my work box.

*apparently possible. It still requires hoop jumping, but what doesn't in Micro$oft land?

Phormic
21st April 2008, 03:27 PM
I (thank god) have no need to use an Exchange Server, but a lot of people do.

Every day you wake in the morning, thank your chosen God for not cursing you with such inhumane torture.

I'm forced to use it.

Does this work with (shudder) Entourage?

Saru
21st April 2008, 04:39 PM
Do you mean Entourage -> iCalX -> iCal?

I thought Entourage could sync directly with iCal?

(nb: only what I've heard, but from reliable sources. I refuse to use Entourage.)

MrBlack
21st April 2008, 10:52 PM
I think this OP has to be expanded a little and some possible screen grabs. As the instructions relating to Outlook Calender don't totally work. SO it might be specific to certain versions. Of which version is currently unknown.

Apologies, it looks like you can only 'publish' your calender from outlook 2007. :( I use 2007 so it is the solution for me.

Instructions to do this are here: Office online help (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA101471191033.aspx)

MacFly
6th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Personally, I use Sync'Em to get my Exchange calendar in to iCal.

Sync'Em : the Multi-Sync Hub | Sync'Em (http://www.syncem.com)

Lutze
6th March 2009, 04:17 PM
I'd have thought that you would have been able to force this through Google Calender - Sync Outlook to Google then Google to iCal.... as Google is now using activesync it would / should work nicely - just not sure that the outlook calender would be pushed to Gcal.