PDA

View Full Version : Please help me trash Parallels from my system.

gallet
19th April 2008, 06:34 PM
Ok I installed it on a macbook pro but it's not able to do what I need it to do so I decided to trash the whole idea and buy a $200 pc to run the one Windows software I need.

I decided to do this after Paralles froze yet again, (could be that there's only 2GB of HD space left) anyway even after a restart the dock icons were illuminated. The program would not start or quit.

Anyway I just dragged everything to the trash as all the files and virtual HD are in one Parallels folder in Documents. However it would not empty because apparently it's still running, even after a restart. It's not showing up in Activity Monitor.

I tries to force empty the trash but that didn't work. This looks a bit more serious than the usual can't empty the trash thing.

What should I do now?

thx.

Wally
19th April 2008, 06:39 PM
You could try VMware Fusion.

It'll keep mechcon happy :)

RGSX12
19th April 2008, 06:39 PM
Have you taken it out of your startup items?

Also, instead of trashing files related to Parallels, you might find it easier to use a program like AppZapper (http://www.appzapper.com/) to find and delete all the files for you.

grfxninja
19th April 2008, 06:48 PM
could be that there's only 2GB of HD space left

Thats gonna cause all sorts of issues…

Have you read the documentation that comes with Parallels, or checked their forums?

gallet
19th April 2008, 06:58 PM
I just want it off my system, I don't want to make it work. I don't think it's set to start up, and when I tried to start it wouldn't anyway.

I read enough of the documentation to get it going but I didn't read about deleting it. I looked around the system and home libraries and app support and there didn't seem to be anything anywhere so I figured that everything must be in the Documents/Parallels folder so I assumed that just trashing that would clear it. It has already frozen before I tried to delete it.

No I haven't tried the forums yet, I'll give that a go if no one here can help. I prefer these forums as there's usually good quick advice.

encryptionmatrix
19th April 2008, 07:05 PM
On the parallels install cd/iso ther is a file called uninstall parallels, it should do the whole thing for you.

gallet
19th April 2008, 07:13 PM
Do you think it would work under the current situation? I'll give it a go and get back if I have problems. I won't be able to try fro a couple of hours.

thx for the help so far.

encryptionmatrix
19th April 2008, 07:32 PM
well i'm pretty sure i would but if it doesnt do what Tim said and use AppZapper, I have never had a problem that cant be solved with it.

decryption
19th April 2008, 09:51 PM
Out of interest, what do you want to do that you can't do in virtualisation?

Jaffa
19th April 2008, 10:24 PM
On the parallels install cd/iso ther is a file called uninstall parallels, it should do the whole thing for you.

+1 for the uninstall app in the disk image.

Also another +2 (me and my bro) for VMware Fusion