PDA

View Full Version : Mind in a fog over Airport Extreme

DavidGeorge
18th April 2008, 11:08 PM
There is something quite fundamental that I am missing in trying to setup my Airport Extreme (AE).

I'm running Vista Ultimate on my computer and have another Vista (Home Premium) and an XP (SP2) machine I'd like to connect. I have a simple ADSL2+ modem feeding into the AE

To start with I'd just like to use the AE as a router to provide other PCs at home with internet and LAN access.

When I start AirPort Utility it tells me that it can't find any Apple wireless devices and to make sure I'm within range ... however, at this point I'm just looking to use the gigabit router - not the wireless. However, there are no other options. What am I missing?

Once I've got the router working I'd like to switch on the wireless N for my LinkSys DMA2200 Media Extender to use.

Can anyone un-fog my thinking?

Regards

David

bartron
18th April 2008, 11:15 PM
I don't have an AE...or Vista for that matter...but perhaps look in the doco and see what default address the AE will use. The utility may be looking over wireless and may not find it if you are hooked up to it via ethernet.
Does the AE use a web interface at all?

Stabbing in the dark and talking out my arse.....but if I had and AE and was trying to get windows to talk to it, that's where I'd start (that and I'd crank up my google fu)

Brains
19th April 2008, 01:32 AM
Can anyone un-fog my thinking?

Yes ... get rid of the wireless technology, it clouds people's thinking.

(I'm not joking either, click the link in my signature :))

jubilantjeremy
19th April 2008, 03:57 AM
Hi,

From memory this was a problem that I had a few years ago - I bet you are running the airport admin utility on a machine that's connected by ethernet. As I understand, you need to initially run the utility on a machine connected wirelessly for it to see it (ie. it cannot be administered over ethernet) which seems like a big problem.

Otherwise, try hard resetting it, if you haven't. Could also try giving apple a call.

Jeremy