PDA

View Full Version : Myer, David Jones, Target - authorised resellers

Aurora
23rd April 2004, 08:38 AM
Hi, this is my first post here so I apologise if I have posted in the wrong place or if someone has discussed this before.

Lately I have noticed that iPod's are popping up for sale in all the department stores, DJ's, Myer, Target, JB-HiFi etc. I was wondering. Does anyone know whether these stores are allowed to discount the recommended retail price of iPods?

I was going out to my local Apple store this week to buy an iPod but I have heard through an inside contact that Myer is having a one day 20% off storewide sale next week.

I don't have any details but I was wondering whether iPods are going to be one of those things excluded from % off sales (you know how they say in their ads "excluding game console hardware, gift vouchers etc etc).

In allowing these stores to start selling iPods, have Apple put something in place to protect their own stores from being undercut in price and losing out on the buyer?

At the end of the day I fully wish to support my Apple store but a dollar is a dollar and a discount like 10% or 20% is massive when you consider the price of an iPod.

Currawong
23rd April 2004, 08:55 AM
They just turned up at my work as well. I noticed Domayne is now also an Apple authorised reseller, of computers, not just iPods. I think this is happening because Apple Australia can't justify having it's own stores like the US does. However, computers are commonly sold in retail stores there anyway.

Aurora
23rd April 2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Apr 23 2004, 08:55 AM
They just turned up at my work as well. I noticed Domayne is now also an Apple authorised reseller, of computers, not just iPods. I think this is happening because Apple Australia can't justify having it's own stores like the US does. However, computers are commonly sold in retail stores there anyway.
But are they allowed to reduce prices? - because if so, they will eventually send the AppleCentre and NextByte stores out of business!

I thought perhaps there may have been an agreement with Apple and the retailers that says they are not allowed to reduce prices below RRP. Does anyone know?

stickman67
23rd April 2004, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know how staff training is going with the folks selling Apple products in these stores?

There was a full-page article in Australian Macworld when DJs was initially trying out an Apple section in their computer department.

The article said that unlike previous efforts to sell Apple products through general retail outlets, this time staff would undertake a course with Apple so they actually knew what they were selling this time. And so they were a bit more enthusiastic about the product.

I can also remember the local Harvey Norman in Bathurst selling Macs, but having sod all Mac software to go with it -- kinda defeated the purpose, IMHO. And that's not to mention the general attitude of the sales staff to the product -- a combination of ignorance and prejudice that had them trying to flog PCs anyway.

What's happening this time around? B)

Currawong
23rd April 2004, 09:10 AM
Domayne is across the road from my work. I'll go in and ask them for the best price on a Powerbook or something, when I have time ;)

decryption
23rd April 2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Aurora@Apr 23 2004, 10:04 AM
I thought perhaps there may have been an agreement with Apple and the retailers that says they are not allowed to reduce prices below RRP. Does anyone know?
Yeah, that's probably right. In the latest Target sale, they said "15% off all items, blah blah, except iPods".

And you wouldn't get an educational discount from these guys either, as they aren't education resellers.

DVD Plaza
23rd April 2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by stickman67@Apr 23 2004, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know how staff training is going with the folks selling Apple products in these stores?

What's happening this time around? B)
Apple Australia staff the stores with their own direct employees. They specifically employed new people for the job - but they are employees of Apple not David Jones.

pipsqeek
23rd April 2004, 10:04 AM
Good point about the Edu pricing.

I must find money to buy another mac before I finish TAFE end of this year.

Either that or see what it would be like working for an AARS.

Steve

Aurora
23rd April 2004, 10:17 AM
On this topic, David Jones currently have a promotion in their Mother's Day catalogue where you buy any iPod plus AppleCare and they throw in the Belkin FM Transmitter for free. I guess with an open market we can now expect more of this sort of thing happening to pull in the customer.

wickeddigital
23rd April 2004, 10:38 AM
They only have 10% margin, so what are they goign to discount to?

LCGuy
23rd April 2004, 10:39 AM
One thing i would like to ask is this: Does your local Target have a display model iPod? Just wondering...mine doesn't. :(

Aurora
23rd April 2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Apr 23 2004, 10:39 AM
One thing i would like to ask is this: Does your local Target have a display model iPod? Just wondering...mine doesn't. :(
I have spoken to a Target store today about this. All Target stores should have a 15GB model in store for display and demonstration purposes. If it is not at the counter ask to see it. Unlike DJ's and Myer, Target aren't actually carrying them in stock - you have to order it and wait for it to come in. When it does come in, you are under no obligation to buy it even if you ordered it. DJ's and Myer actually have them in stock for you to buy immediately.

faction
23rd April 2004, 12:46 PM
So do the DJs have like a Apple Genius in there? or are they simply geared with sales people?

I wish I was close to a DJs that stocked them.

LCGuy
23rd April 2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Aurora@Apr 23 2004, 11:05 AM
I have spoken to a Target store today about this. All Target stores should have a 15GB model in store for display and demonstration purposes. If it is not at the counter ask to see it.
Thanks. Will do. :)

Ignoramus
28th May 2004, 04:17 PM
Well the only Domayne selling Apple computers is the one in Alexandria, which is staffed by some Apple people, however I'm not sure if there's an Apple person there all the time. I actually got my iBook there mainly cause of one thing that other Apple resellers don't seem to offer, and that is finance. Whilst most offer flexirent, this is simply a rental agreement and at the end of it you don't own the equipment. I got mine when they were offering 17 months interest free with no deposit, so I actually went home with my iBook without paying a cent upfront :D .

Whilst the main drawback of paying by finance is generally the lack of ability to bargain, it does not make much difference here since they weren't willing to offer any better pricing anyway.

Quamen
28th May 2004, 05:01 PM
mmmmmmm financing would be so good right now. Then I would have a nice new powerbook. Instead of having to save to get it :(

BigX
28th May 2004, 10:28 PM
I love my 40gig iPod.... best music player, portable hard drvie, software and video transport tool, I've every had...

LOVE IT. only around 900bucks with personalised message from www.apple.com.au!!

pipsqeek
29th May 2004, 11:13 AM
Quote: Ignoramus

Whilst the main drawback of paying by finance is generally the lack of ability to bargain, it does not make much difference here since they weren't willing to offer any better pricing anyway.

When could you bargain Mac products anyway? Only way I have ever reduced the price was being a TAFE student.

Steve

Quamen
29th May 2004, 11:19 AM
pipsqeek you just rolled yourself. Re-read what you quoted. You just questioned him and then said exactly the same thing he did. HAHA

pipsqeek
30th May 2004, 11:41 AM
Your point?

Whilst the main drawback of paying by finance is generally the lack of ability to bargain

The way I interpret the statement is that because of finance you can't bargain the price. So one would assume that if you bought it outright you could get bargaining power? Doubt that with Apple products of all kinds.

I'm questioning the fact of bargaining, as I have never experienced, seen or heard of any lowering of price from any Apple products, full stop. Oh, that's a lie, NextByte has lowered their RRPrices on one or some of its Apple supplied software...much to the dismay of Apple Aus. Disko posted an interview about it.

it does not make much difference here since they weren't willing to offer any better pricing anyway.

Wrong, it doesn't make any difference. They weren't willing to offer better prices because that's the price and that's it....I personally have not gone into Target lately and grabed stuff to purchase, then bargained the checkout chick for the price of the 10 pack of undies I bought. Or that CD/DVD/ or any other product for that matter.

Maybe his wording could have been better, maybe mine could too.

Fact is, his ignoramus' statement implies (according to me - sorry ignoramus, not knocking you) that there is a possibility of a discount...My statement basically says that there isn't.

And....this is a mac forum. we're pretty easy-going. There is no need to start antagonising people for such trivial things. We're here to have fun and learn something, not to tell each other how wrong they are. :)

Steve

Ignoramus
30th May 2004, 04:21 PM
Sorry to cause any confusion. But what I meant is that generally at stores such as Domayne and Harvey Norman, you're able to haggle a bit to get a better deal or just to match a lower price at another store, but they usually won't do this if you finance the purchase.

I guess what I really meant to say in my post is that when purchasing my Apple, I didn't hesitate paying it via finance mainly because I knew that the price at Domayne would be the same as any other Apple reseller.