PDA

View Full Version : Is VMware ripping us off with Fusion?

snark
16th April 2008, 07:23 PM
I find VMware Fusion easy to use, and I think it's a good product for when I have to run Windows apps and don't want to boot into Bootcamp.
However, I find it strange that they charge US$80 for it, whereas VMware player (for Windows and Linux) is free.

Is this a premium that we're being charged just because we're Mac users? Or is there something unique in Fusion that is worth the price?

decryption
16th April 2008, 07:25 PM
Err, the free version on Windows and Linux is a player - you can't create VMs with it.

mvjs
16th April 2008, 07:26 PM
VMware Player is a stripped down version of VMware Workstation. VMware Workstation is more comparable to Fusion than Player. VMware Workstation on Windows costs US$189. So, if anything we're getting a better deal.

nicwithsticks
16th April 2008, 07:35 PM
They do have a free version of VMWare server though, which does allow you to create VM's and such. I'm not really sure why it is free, or if there's any limitations, but it seems alright.

Wally
16th April 2008, 07:36 PM
No way, its great!

mechcon
16th April 2008, 07:42 PM
Through work's reseller, we found fusion to be a lot cheaper than parallels.. and since it performs better than parallels, and our servers are moving to vmware later down the track.. it's going to be THE vm app for work...

snark
16th April 2008, 07:51 PM
VMware Player is a stripped down version of VMware Workstation. VMware Workstation is more comparable to Fusion than Player. VMware Workstation on Windows costs US$189. So, if anything we're getting a better deal.

They do have a free version of VMWare server though, which does allow you to create VM's and such. I'm not really sure why it is free, or if there's any limitations, but it seems alright.

Ah, that probably where I'm getting confused. I've previously downloaded both VMware Server and VMware Player - both free - for messing around with various Linux builds at home.

Plus I also have about four virtual machines at work, which I run with VMware player, but I must have used VWware Workstation to create them.

Thanks all for clearing up the misunderstanding. I feel a lot better about spending the money to buy Fusion now. :)

dmeston
16th April 2008, 07:53 PM
can you get your USB stick to work in Fusion?

decryption
16th April 2008, 07:53 PM

The USB support in Fusion is great - never had a USB device not work.

purana
16th April 2008, 07:55 PM
OP is comparing wrong products against each other. You should compare Fusion against Workstation. These are like products. Player is not.

Player cannot make vm machines, but plenty of utils and docs around that tell you how to create the vmx template and then use Player to install the virtual machine.

The smart time to buy Fusion was during the pre-release, it was 50% off and was the best time to buy it. I bought my license then, and then picked up another 4 or so licenses through my work. As EMC owns VMware after all.

I think even at full price, VMware Fusion is still worth the money. It's absolutely brilliant for running Linux virtual machines, as the vmware tools package for linux makes the virtual linux machine perform very well. Perfect for testing out stuff (much like running Windows virtual machine).

ie. It just WORKS!

EDIT: And VMware Server has limitations. It doesn't have various features as found in Workstation. I don't believe it has snapshot functions, and an easy configurable host sharing stuff. I am sure it has other items, but I don't use Workstation alot these days (mainly Fusion on my mac at home, as I no longer have a PC to use Workstation on).

snark
16th April 2008, 07:58 PM

Yes - just click on any the USB icons in the status bar to connect that port through to the virtual machine.

mechcon
16th April 2008, 08:03 PM
Also the big one is this....
tDAKbpUqOnI
Mac OS 10.5 Server virtualization!!!

purana
16th April 2008, 08:04 PM
Yes - just click on any the USB icons in the status bar to connect that port through to the virtual machine.

As he said, here is a quick view..

http://img.skitch.com/20080416-q3ubjfj8pih5fmwugemtnqxw5r.jpg

Highlighted blue means the device is in use by the guest, and non highlighted means it's not at this stage.

snark
16th April 2008, 08:12 PM
As he said, here is a quick view..

http://img.skitch.com/20080416-q3ubjfj8pih5fmwugemtnqxw5r.jpg

Highlighted blue means the device is in use by the guest, and non highlighted means it's not at this stage.

I've found that if you insert the USB stick before you boot up the VM, OS X will have already mounted it, and you have to click on the (grey) icon to dismount it from OS X and mount it in the VM. However, if you plug it in after the VM is booted, it will mount it immediately without you taking any action.

purana
16th April 2008, 08:15 PM
I've found that if you insert the USB stick before you boot up the VM, OS X will have already mounted it, and you have to click on the (grey) icon to dismount it from OS X and mount it in the VM. However, if you plug it in after the VM is booted, it will mount it immediately without you taking any action.

If the guest is in focus, and you insert the key.. then yes the guest will mount it (and if you want osx to see it). Then you will need to disconnect the device from the bottom right corner as per my screen grab.

The same thing happens on Workstation under Windows. If the guest is in focus and current window. If not the usb devices mounts on the host instead.

I think that's what your saying too. It's certainly a handy feature sometimes, but can be annoying. But just need to remember not have guest in focus when you insert it.

mechcon
16th April 2008, 08:22 PM
hey whilst on topic... any mactalkers here keen to get together to Free Fusion T-Shirts, MacBook Air, and More: My Switch to VMware Fusion" Video and Blogging Contest | Team Fusion (http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2008/04/free-fusion-t-s.html)

snark
16th April 2008, 08:33 PM
If the guest is in focus...
Yes, that is more accurate than what I posted earlier. I tend to run mine in Full Screen mode, so it's focussed whenever I've got that Space displayed.

mechcon
16th April 2008, 08:43 PM
Same here dude, just drag a file from one space to another (F8 view) :) works well!

purana
16th April 2008, 08:47 PM
Yes, that is more accurate than what I posted earlier. I tend to run mine in Full Screen mode, so it's focussed whenever I've got that Space displayed.

Cool, I tend to run window mode. So I can see other stuff and use other stuff on desktop (and monitor parts of the guest doing stuff).

I have a really good Ubuntu guest at the moment. The tools package has been installed and the machine runs really well (as you'd expect).

der
16th April 2008, 10:25 PM
you can get vmware fusion cheaper here:

Smith Micro Online Store (http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17c?SID=1839&SP=10034&CID=340365&PID=&PN=1&V1=1581635&CUR=840)

snark
13th May 2008, 08:50 AM
Related to the original thread title, if you're buying from the VMware web site, it is cheaper to buy in $US and pay a couple of bucks commission on your credit card, than to buy in $AU.

for example, the online store currently charges $98.39, but my CC was only billed around $87 when I bought this last week. I guess it's the GST component that is the difference.