PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule not working

Charl
16th April 2008, 07:25 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to this community, though I've heard about how good it is for ages from a bloke from work. :-)

I wonder if I might ask a question? I've just bought a 1TB Time Capsule from the online Mac store and it's not working. Though it mounts if I attach it to my MacBook Pro via Ethernet, I'm unable to get it to connect to my existing network (an Airport Express connected to a D-Link ADSL modem/router).

When I try to get it to join my wireless network, Airport Utility says something like "The settings for this Time Capsule have been changed and it is restarting."

Then several minutes later "Airport Utility was unable to find your Apple wireless device after restarting."

Then I scream and yell at the heavens and press the tiny restart button and go through the process again.

Have a bought a broken Time Capsule or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rasta
16th April 2008, 07:37 AM
Firstly I would connect the TC to your ADSL modem if you're able to.

Second make sure the TC is in bridge mode and connect as a client to your wireless network...

Have you done that? What happens when you put it in bridge mode?

Charl
17th April 2008, 06:00 PM
Firstly I would connect the TC to your ADSL modem if you're able to.

Second make sure the TC is in bridge mode and connect as a client to your wireless network...

Have you done that? What happens when you put it in bridge mode?

Thanks for the advice.

I've set my TC to bridge mode, but stupidly (I was tired after work) set my Airport Express to bridge mode first. I'm trying to return my Aiport Express to its previous mode, but I can't remember if its Connection Sharing was set on "Share a public IP address" or "Distribute a range of addresses". Either option won't let me proceed further. "Share a public IP address" asks me for a DHCP starting address and a DHCP ending address (not a clue how to fill those in.) "Distribute a range of addresses" wants me to "Configure IPv4" as well as those DHCP addresses. I don't have a clue how to fix this.

*bangs face into keyboard*

Charl
17th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Okay, I've got my Airport Express working again, and I've got my TC in bridge mode, and it works as a Time Machine backup hard drive when I'm using its network. But when I try to connect it to my Airport Express network, it just doesn't seem to restart after the changes are made and I have to hit the reset button to make it reappear as a wireless device.

Is the TC faulty?

snark
18th April 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm just wondering why you still need the Airport Express in your network. You've got your ADSL modem to connect to the internet, and Time Capsule can provide wireless connectivity (it works as an Airport Extreme Base Station). What additional function does the Express provide? Do you have other 802.11b/g wireless clients?

Maybe I'm missing something....:confused:

Rasta
18th April 2008, 07:12 PM
I'd get the airport express out of the equation too...

Unless you need it to do the wireless stuff from your modem.. but then you could use the time capsule for that anyway..

can use the AEX to extend your network, but you'll probably find that the 'n' network of the time capsule will be more than enough...